PDA

View Full Version : help chosing an amp for my base shakers

jaspar
05-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi

I've managed to get hold of two aora base shakers for my pit and looking for a cheap amp to drive them.
since i stay in the uk
I was looking at this
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45185

is this sutable

if it is what sort of power supply current raiting would i need.

thanks

jaspar

JBaymore
05-02-2009, 06:45 PM
jaspar,

I use two Aura Bass Shakers in my pilot's seat. Have for a good while. I have a simple 25W amp. It'll take the fillings out of your teeth if you turn it up much at ALL. You don't need much waattage for this application. They are VERY efficient at changing sound to vibration.

Tweek your sound files to add low frequencies as appropriate.

best,

..........john

BHawthorne
05-02-2009, 09:59 PM
bass, not base... The context of you post was confusing for a second. ;)

jaspar
05-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Ooops

sory Brian I should have noticed that.

thanks John I guess the one im looking at will be powerfull enough as its 100w per chanel

wannabeaflyer
05-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Hi Guys i did an experiment with my bass shakers which i thought worked out really well. basically i had an old Tiny ( manufacturer brand ) Sub woofer & speakers which i no longer used and as a trial i disonnected the sub woofer speaker wires and connected my base shakers to that output and when she powered up i was impressed enough to understand why guys like these shakers low frequency rumbles engine vibration and all the other sounds added a big boost to the feel of my cockpit ..will post some pictures when i get batteries for my camera. just my 2 cents worth oh by the way i also bought a car stereo Amplifier which did not cost much more than the Maplins Amp you mentioned Off of E-bay and that has some serious wattage output so that should raise the bar sound effects wise even higher ...well thats the plan anyways..

JBaymore
05-04-2009, 08:33 AM
....... when she powered up i was impressed enough to understand why guys like these shakers low frequency rumbles engine vibration and all the other sounds added a big boost to the feel of my cockpit

Yeah... the effect is great. One step away from full motion (Admittedly.... that is still a BIG step ;) ). The nicest thing is that you don't have to have a lot of SOUND to feel a lot of vibrations.

At first it is easy to get carried away with very unrealistic stuff. New toy and all that :lol:.

But after a while you think "what would this really feel like". So I have tweaked my sound files a lot, playing with frequencies and volume (Download Audigy.... free complex sound editor) and gotten things working really well.

The biggest vibrations are when the gear hits the ground on landing. Second is when the nose gear goes over the runway center line lights (nice touch). A slight thump for the doors. Other stuff is VERY subtle. I have the very slightest perceptible vibration for the engines. And so on.

The one I want to create is a program that reads the vertical speed and horizontal speed of the aircraft (turbulence) and then creates a VERY low frequency pulse that creates a "jolt" to the seat. THAT will be nice to not only see the view jostle around but feel something too.

I can clearly see the lure of full motion.

best,

........................john