PDA

View Full Version : Shell linings - inside and out ???

NicD
11-22-2006, 07:12 AM
I'm making good progress on the frame for my cockpit and contemplating how I will line it. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on what materials to use.

For the outside I'm thinking sheet aluminium (or other light metal?). Cutting it accurately and safely is what worries me.

For the inside I'm considering thin MDF (3mm). Just hope it's durable enough (?)

cheers

B738
12-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi Mate,

As you've probably seen from my website, I use 3mm MDF for my interior. It bends pretty well and of course, cuts really easily. The biggest problem with aluminum is having the correct tools and can be expensive to fit yourself out to do so. Most already have woodworking tools laying around.

If your building a permenant structure its pretty easy to lay down. I learnt in area where your joining two different sheets together and fasting them down to a frame structure that may only be 35mm in width. Use some Liquid Nails before screwing it down. It gives a much better hold, especially when you'll most likely need to putty the gap you'll have. I didn't use Liquid Nails and when I either touched the sheet or moved them (my roof is removeable) I got cracks in the putty.

Hope this helps mate.

Regards,
Brad Heller.

NicD
12-07-2006, 08:54 PM
cheers Brad - that's useful info.

Trevor Hale
12-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Hey Guys,

I am using Fiberglass cloth and it seems to work well. One piece of cloth and 4 coats of resin seems to keep things nice and smooth. I will then use some foam covered with meterial and buttons to hold it to the fiberglass.

This also helps with the noise/dampening. With all the computers and fans running in the sim, you don't want the unrealistic mechanical sounds. Besides makes it so you can't hear the wife calling you to reach her down something :)

Cheers