PDA

View Full Version : OK Where to Start

eagle65
11-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi Everyone,
I've now got a pc that can handle FSX and the new Vista when it arrives.
What I now need to find out is, what plane to use? I have the PMDG 737NG for fs2004, but everything I have read shows that it not compatable to build my own cockpit around.
So what do most of others use, a generic 737-800/900 and an addon panel? What is the best combination that would be compatable to build my cockpit on?

Thanks for your inputs:D

Wayne

AndyT
11-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Wayne,

The best one is the one you like best.

NicD
11-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi Wayne and welcome. If you're not using the Project Magenta gear (glass cockpit, MCP, CDU etc.) then you can build your cockpit around the PMDG737. It doesn't give you everything that Project Magenta does and you have to use some tricks to get it to do some things, but the advantage is it's a much lower cost.

Ian Sissons at: http://www.737ng.co.uk/index.htm is the master at using the PMDG737 in a home cockpit and has great tutorials on his site that show you how.

eagle65
11-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your help fellas. Now what I need to know is
What "cards" do I need to have and how many?
The cards that are used to connect the various "addon" controls such as the MCP, EFIS,FMS and the like items, do I need a card for each of these items or is there a master card and then "feeder" cards that are used.
I want to get right away from using the keyboard and start getting my simpit to act and "feel" like a cockpit

Wayne

ekezz
11-26-2006, 05:31 PM
There are many possibilities, just to mention a few, opencockpits.com, cpflight.com f-d-t.com, flyengravity.com, phidgets.com
etc
Best is to plan where you want to start. Overhead, MIP, Pedestal.
I would suggest starting at the functions you use most. So MCP, EFIS, MIP, Radio's

Westozy
11-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Eagle65, it can be done!

My sim is one PC, Matrox 3 head video card, PMDG and Sim-boards, see the pics in the gallery from "Westozy". GoFlight have said there will be a driver available soon for their MCP to interface with PMDG.

Gwyn