PDA

View Full Version : WidevieW or Computer observations

Michael Carter
03-30-2009, 11:02 PM
I finally have two monitors hooked up to the client computer. The view out the forward quarters was fantastic. It adds quite a bit of immersion.

It took awhile to configure the second monitor, but before long, and on the second try it was working well.

Well, it was working. My frame rate dropped to under 6 at Mega-Frankfurt even with all sliders pulled back to about 50% or so, give or take. After getting away from the airport environment the frame rate went back up to 24 fps. All was going along well until crossing LAM for the 27 arrival at Mega-Heathrow.

The server (the good computer) crashed with an out of memory (address space) error.

I have just recently been able to comprehend this error and how it can occur. The two hours I spent on the ground at Mega-Frankfurt probably had at least a little to do with what happened. There were warning signs too.

After pushing out of A19, the server stumbled several times with frame rates going as low as 6-9 fps during the long taxi down to 07L at Frankfurt. After a few seconds it would quickly jump back up to 24 fps.

There is a configuration trick to try called the 3GB switch which allocates more address space for running applications than the 2GB that is normally allocated for processes and programs. This cuts into the available 2GB address space for the operating system, so it is a compromise.

This is only the second time I experienced this error, but on both occasions, a longer than normal time was spent in a high detail address draining scenery area before the flight.

I thought about changing to the Win XP Pro X64 version, but it's not worth the hassle.

I've learned that this error really does not have anything to do with the amount of physical or virtual memory available, but instead the amount of address space to place the data into memory. You can have 100 million meg, but if the address space to place the data into the 100 MMB of memory isn't there, the crash results.

sas550
03-31-2009, 02:18 AM
I've learned that this error really does not have anything to do with the amount of physical or virtual memory available, but instead the amount of address space to place the data into memory. You can have 100 million meg, but if the address space to place the data into the 100 MMB of memory isn't there, the crash results.

There are several of reasons for the oom error. You don't get oom just by being a long time at a complex airport. It's an error. Mostly it has to do with missing or misplaced scenery files. FS reserve adress space in forehand for ahead laying scenery and when the scenery files are missing it results in memory leaks. Landclass files and UT Europe is one of the most frequent appearing addons when googling the prob.

Michael Carter
03-31-2009, 02:19 AM
I wanted to play with the client computer a bit more so I fired it up and opened two views.

Again, it was running now at 3fps at Mega-Frankfurt. It looked like a slide show.

While trying to minimize the FS screen using Alt-Tab (no Windows key on this keyboard), it would close down for a second or two and then start up in full screen again on both monitors. I tried this several times and never did get it to stay closed. I wanted to check the settings on the ATI control manager.

Well, when it went back to full screen it was running almost as smooth as the server computer. When I checked, it was running at 16 fps! I'm not sure what effect attempting to minimize the screen had, but it sure got it going.

I'll have to remember that trick for tomorrow's flight in case it starts out like it did awhile ago.

I was in slew mode as it always is when it starts, so I took the opportunity to sight-see around the airport and Frankfurt. The frame rate held too. It was a nice trip around the area. :D

Michael Carter
03-31-2009, 02:24 AM
There are several of reasons for the oom error. You don't get oom just by being a long time at a complex airport. It's an error. Mostly it has to do with missing or misplaced scenery files. FS reserve adress space in forehand for ahead laying scenery and when the scenery files are missing it results in memory leaks. Landclass files and UT Europe is one of the most frequent appearing addons when googling the prob.

That cause was mentioned too. UT has a few scenery files either missing or corrupted. I'll have to see if there is a patch.

The point the person who explained this to me was trying to make however, was that the system can run out of address space when there isn't enough for the size of the data it's trying to place into the memory, or, two programs are trying to use the same address space at the same time.

With all of the add-ons running in the same location I can see how this could happen.