PDA

View Full Version : Wideview conundrum

PaulCooper
03-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Hi to all,

I have now got my two systems in the same workgroup and can ping from one to the other. I have shared various files successfully. I am now setting up WideView. Main comp with two screens(Server), second one with single screen (client). WideFS and FSUIPC registered and running. WideView running on each copy of FSX on each machine. Run FSX on the server and it connects to the client. Now the conundrum. Unless I am missing a trick somewhere, I would expect the client to display a view (set up for front view). Nothing.. nada.. gar nichts!! Someone please help. I believe it may be something to do with firewall, but as far as I can see, I have disabled Firewall on both computers. With all you experts out there, I have complete faith that the answer will be forthcoming (and I will probably look a complete idiot, but I am willing to take that chance to get it working!!!)

The goal is to have the client running just the panels and the server running a wide (over both screens) front view.

Hessel Oosten
03-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Paul,

Did you also set the WideWiew gauge *in the client-screen**
to accept the servers (undoubtedly beautifull) views.

Hessel

ak49er
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
For FS9 you must have a copy of FS9 running on each client computer aswell as the server, Wide View then syncs them.

Do you have the guage installed on your client, do you have the view set to windowed mode on your clients?

I am not an expert but these issues held me back when i dabbled with it two years ago.

PaulCooper
03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
OK ignorance is bliss ( but not in this case!) I am using FSX and the mention of the "guage" has thrown me! What does it look like? And if I dont have it (which I dont think I have) how do I get it? And yes, both machines are opening in Window mode

Michael Carter
03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Have you installed the guage into the aircraft you are flying?

It's not a global install. You must tell WV the aircraft you wish to install the guage. If you don't see the little toggle switch on the sceen in the upper left, whether or not it's in windowed mode, you haven't installed it in an aircraft.

You really should have the Readme text available while setting this up the first time. I had no issues at all and I'm a new user of this software too.

ak49er
03-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Yes Michael, I beleive you have nailed it, I had forgotten that you had to install the guage in each A/C you use. Kudos. :D

PaulCooper
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Hello again to all. You really must forgive my ignorance, but I still cant get it to work. I have checked the documentation and can find no mention of a guage installation. I am using the latest version of Wideview for FSX. Really stupid question. What is the correct sequence for starting up? Do I have to run FSX on the clients first? If i do this, then the server says "Waiting for clients" and the screens do not sync. Also, if I start FSX on the client, then I am unable to run WideFS due to the "application already running". I really want to get this working but seem to be coming up against wall after wall. Any help would be appreciated. Both systems are running Windows XP Pro and I can ping between both machines. They are both in the same workgroup and can see each other. I have two screens on my main (server) computer and a single screen on the secondary.. I am aiming to just have the panel on the secondary with the outside view spread across the main two screens.

Somebody please give me some guidance.. I dont mind being seen as a complete idiot!!

Many thanks in advance.:(

Michael Carter
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Have you opened the WidevieW configuration manager from the Start menu?

FS does not have to be running to use this utility. You must have a copy of WidevieW on each computer in the network and each aircraft must have the gauge installed.

There server will be configured, well, as the server, and the same for each of the clients. You have to tell WidevieW which is which, it's not automatic.

Hessel Oosten
04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Paul,

In the server screen you have a small WideView **switch** which has to be "switched" with the mouse (ON).

You ***should*** see the same sort switch in your client screen.
This should also be swiched ON with the mouse.

If you don't see this switch on the client: Re-read the manual, line by line.

Hessel

PaulCooper
04-08-2009, 06:02 AM
OK chaps I am losing the will to live:D. Where is the Wideview configuration manager? Under start/programs/WideView for FSX/ I have Wideview uninstall, Wideview manual and Wideview readme.

Also, could someone send me a screen shot of where the damn WideView **switch** can be found

Cheers chaps, I will crack this before it cracks me!!

Michael Carter
04-08-2009, 06:40 AM
It sound as though the Wideview Control Center is missing. That should be in that menu selection.

I'm using FS9 though, so the installation and whereabouts of the Control Center might be different on an FSX machine.

If you can't find it though a Windows search, you might try un-installing it and downloading it again.

When properly installed, the WidevieW switch is in the upper left corner of the screen when in normal Cockpit View.

Hessel Oosten
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Paul,

Go in both pc's to:

Menu - Views - Instrument Panel
of the aircraft *in which* you have the WideView gauge installed.

You should see there the WideView gauge. Select it.
If it's not there, you haven't installed it not at all, or specifically not in that particular aircraft.

You can see it (after the selection mentioned before) now in your screen.

It can be selected left (ON/OFF) and right (Options).

Additionally you can check the panel.cfg of the aircraft in which you installed the WideView gauge if the gauge is there too. (Again on both pc's).

Hessel

Michael Carter
04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
How are you getting on with this Paul?

PaulCooper
04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Good news and bad news....

I have discovered where one of the problems lay... My son had been security concious and installed Norton Personal Firewall, so all the time I was configuring windows firewall, Norton was still stopping the connection.

Now I just have to get it all configured. For info: it appears that Wideview for FSX does not have the guage that everybody has been going on about. It just sees it and goes!

Told you all that I would probably appear really stupid at some point. Watch this space for more monumental **** ups!!

Many thanks to all that replied... if anybody wants to have a go at telling me how to achieve the setup I descriped below, I would be eternally grateful!!

Good simming to all for the future

Hessel Oosten
04-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Paul,

See screenshots (wide and small here, caused here by Th2G).
The switch left upper corner is VERY small here (have done that myself).
In initial default setup much greater.
The menu pops up when right clicking on the switch gauge.
As mentioned in previous mail, in views, instrument panels it should be seen.
You didn't report about that suggestion as well as other things I mentioned (panel.cfg).
Did you ask also at the special Wideview forum (see WV site) ?

Hessel

PaulCooper
04-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Hessel, is that using Wide View for FSX or FS9?

Hessel Oosten
04-10-2009, 06:01 PM
This is Fs9

PaulCooper
04-10-2009, 06:53 PM
That probably explains it then! It appears that FSX (Wideview) doesnt have the guage. I have been through the documentation with a fine tooth comb and there is no reference to installation of a guage in any of the models.

I still appreciate your comments though and will take them all on board for future reference. I will try and contact the author and confirm that my findings are accurate and will confirm (or otherwise) by these means.

Please keep up any future comments.... this cockpit building malarky is a lot more complex than it first appears and there is evidently a wealth of expertise in these pages!!

Michael Carter
04-10-2009, 09:48 PM
What really makes this hobby unique is that no two cockpits are alike and there's no instructions or a 'build manual' for any of them.

Drives us all crazy sometimes but the effort is worth it.

How many people can say they have a full-size airliner cockpit in their home to fly whenever the whim strikes them? :mrgreen: