PDA

View Full Version : Can a keyboard be used...

shearder
03-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Hi All

I have ANOTHER question - if i have a spare keyboard laying around I can map the layout of the interface and find out which combination is which key and then remove that from the keyboard and use wires to switches.

SO!

1. Will it conflict with the original keyboard?
2. Can it be used with encoders? i.e. heading, Speed, Alt etc

How close is it to the interfaces one can buy from OC for example.

Thanks again in advance.

Michael Carter
03-23-2009, 01:33 AM
You're taking the long way around to an interface input board. It can be done, but it's very time consuming.

You'll probably need to wire diodes into the matrix too. Not fun.

You'll need to use a keyboard with a PS/2 pass-through. You can't have two PS/2 keyboards plugged into the same computer on different ports.

You could use a USB keyboard for typing and the PS/2 for the sim, but like I said you're taking the long way around the mountain.

shearder
03-23-2009, 01:38 AM
You could use a USB keyboard for typing and the PS/2 for the sim, but like I said you're taking the long way around the mountain.

Yes i know - a VERY long way round. My issue is I was retrenched and busy looking for another job. SO whatever i do to pass the time needs to be "freely" available - within reason. I have a number of joysticks and keyboards laying around all USB. I have downloaded FSUIPC and i am hoping to construct some sort of generic "panel" with some overhead functions, engine startup, MCP, lights etc. Nothing "real" but will alleviate the reach for mouse and/or keyboard and to add a little realism.

Thanks again.

Michael Carter
03-23-2009, 02:07 AM
If you can afford to canabalize the unused joysticks and keypads you could use those to wire switches to. It would be faster than trying to decipher a keyboard matrix and you wouldn't need diodes.

I did that with a CH yoke for my Boeing yoke. Still have several unused inputs too.

shearder
03-23-2009, 02:10 AM
If you can afford to canabalize the unused joysticks and keypads you could use those to wire switches to. It would be faster than trying to decipher a keyboard matrix and you wouldn't need diodes.

I did that with a CH yoke for my Boeing yoke. Still have several unused inputs too.

Yes i can definitely do that. 2 that i can "destroy" and not care are a game pad style and a vibration style twist stick with throttle.

Michael - do you think a rotary encoder or encoder toggle (momentary on) will work with these or keyboard? I don't want to buy an encoder and then it doesn't work. Thanks again.

Michael Carter
03-23-2009, 02:24 AM
No.

If you wire one to the joystick input with the twist-grip throttle, maybe. It depends. It will still probably see it as an axis input. It will not work with any keyboard input.

shearder
03-23-2009, 02:29 AM
No.

If you wire one to the joystick input with the twist-grip throttle, maybe. It depends. It will still probably see it as an axis input. It will not work with any keyboard input.

Thanks again a TON Michael!! Well i guess i could get away, not ideal BUT, with a push button for up and one for down etc. Not ideal at all - will use too many inputs to get the basic effect. Instead of one input with a rotary i need 2. Pity.

Oh well - like they say "beggars" can't be choosers!!

Geremy Britton
03-23-2009, 12:07 PM
carrying on from what Mike said ... Unless you use pulse switches. They can be purchased from Mouser electronics. And can be connected upto a keyboard card or hacked perhiperal for the PC. They would provide you with a rotary encoder type component.

shearder
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
carrying on from what Mike said ... Unless you use pulse switches. They can be purchased from Mouser electronics. And can be connected upto a keyboard card or hacked perhiperal for the PC. They would provide you with a rotary encoder type component.

Thanks Gez! I have done a little more homework and visited an elecronics shop (mouser isn't in SA) and I have decided the easiest, and cheapest - for me, is to create a host of circuits on a board with capacitors as per an article on flightsim.com.

I will let you guys know when it's done how effective it is though from what i have seen i doubt anyone overseas (US, EU, UK etc) would find it useful as costs are not as bad as when importing on the SA rand.

Jackpilot
03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
The less expensive way to go is hacking joysticks.
The two wires of each button can be connected to whatever kind of push switch or momentary toggle.
Assign functions within FSUIPC which allows you to select actions, ie: do this when push do that when release, repeat, etc..
With FSUIPC you can also program "On" with first push "off" with second push which mimics a toggle
Not ideal but can help you to interface a lot of things.

shearder
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
The less expensive way to go is hacking joysticks.
The two wires of each button can be connected to whatever kind of push switch or momentary toggle.
Assign functions within FSUIPC which allows you to select actions, ie: do this when push do that when release, repeat, etc..
With FSUIPC you can also program "On" with first push "off" with second push which mimics a toggle
Not ideal but can help you to interface a lot of things.

Thanks Jackpilot. Yes that was my initial plan to use 2 joysticks (one's actually a pad) and use momentary switches. But I decided i wanted a "little" more reality to the switches, i.e. for lights etc, so i guess making it a little more technical but not too expensive. So between 2 of the joysticks i should get some extra "realism". Not sure if i can use 2 USB keyboards - my standard one and the spare stripped for the interface. Only one way to find out :)