PDA

View Full Version : AC power help

737NUT
11-10-2006, 07:32 PM
I have my entire sim on a a single dedicated 20 amp circuit. I bought a new PJ and when i run it on the same line, i get LOTS of noise in the picture. If i use it in the house or run a 75' ext cord from an outlet in the house out to my PJ, the picture is perfect! Does this mean, a) i have to much on one line, bad gnd, or should i just buy a power line conditioner made for home theater's?

ANy ideas???

Michael Carter
11-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Sounds like your are getting 60Hz hum on the line that the sim is on. I'm surprised you are not picking up noise on the 75' run.

Try another circuit in the house if you don't want to keep using the 75' cord.

737NUT
11-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Sounds like your are getting 60Hz hum on the line that the sim is on. I'm surprised you are not picking up noise on the 75' run.

Try another circuit in the house if you don't want to keep using the 75' cord.

I think i may have to buy one of those expensive line conditioners. I would have thought that the PJ's electronics would have done a better job of filtering the line voltage.

Matt Olieman
11-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Noise is usually caused by something else that is running on that circuit. I've had problems connecting things to the same circuit as the refrigerator or dishwasher and WHAMO you've got noise when it runs.

It's not the amount of juice your using that causes it, it's what is on the same circuit that is causing it.

Line conditioner sounds like something I would try.

AndyT
11-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Also, do you have any loops in the line where it is coiled? That will create an impedance loop which can cause the problem you've described. Other things to avoid include flourscent light fixtures. The ballast in them puts out a lot of EMI. A line conditioner will work but you should first remove any excess line from the circut. The shorter the run, the better. For very low voltages, 5 volts or less, a loop or coil is not bad, but for your main power feed, I'd make sure there were none.