PDA

View Full Version : Minimum system requirement for 2,3,4...etc computers

FlyHanover
03-14-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm new to this and want to build a sim. How old of a system can you use for the secondary computers to run things like the MIP displays, sound, etc. I see some really cheap systems less than $100 on eBay. Basically how old of a system can you go and still make all the add-on software work? Any help would be fantastic. I plan on using FS 2004, with Window XP on the main system which will be my High End main computer.

autocadplease
03-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I have an old Pentium II - 333mhz running one of my secondary displays. I have Project Magenta which utilizes OpenGL - so I needed to make sure the video card was compatible.

ak49er
03-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Hello, I use almost all old, recycled computers with as much RAM as possible. I use anywhere from 300 mHz PIII, to 550 mHz PIII.

I use one PIII 550 as a FS server in one of my sims, and use the 300, and 450's for instruments, VATSIM, and such. My other two sims use a 1.8 gHz, and a 2.4 Ghz for servers, and PIII for the clients.

All the Client PIII computers use Windows 2000 (SP4), (including the one server), with the other servers being Windows XP (SP3), with no problems between the two "different" OS's.

I plan on utilizing Linux soon, and heard that I might be able to link up all the old PIII computers together to form a mini "Super Computer".

I also use recyled monitors (CRT, LCD), mice, speakers, and keyboards. Suprising what people will give away when they hear you'll take anything.

Matt Olieman
03-15-2009, 07:39 AM
There are some builders that use one or two computers for their full cockpit.

Matt Olieman

FlyHanover
03-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Thank You.