PDA

View Full Version : 2gb new corsair memory

Michael Carter
03-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Two gigabytes of Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400 DDR2 800Mhz 240 pin memory. This has the heat spreaders and is timed at 5-5-5-18. Very nice memory if you have a machine that can use it.

Bought from Newegg and never installed. Seems I bought the wrong speed and they won't take it back.

I need 2GB (2x 1GB sticks) of DDR2 5300 677Mhz 240 pin. If you have this speed of memory to trade, let me know via PM or in this thread.

If not, cost is $22 US plus shipping via USPS. This is ten dollars less than I paid Newegg and the $22 is what the cost is of the memory I need. Not worried about the loss, I just want the correct memory.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/CorsairDDR2.jpg

Efe Cem Elci
03-12-2009, 11:13 AM
I have the CORSAIR DHX DDR2-800Mhz CL4 2GB (2X1GB) installed currently.

Voltage 2.1 V
Cas 4 - 4 - 4 - 12

These seem to be the same except for the CL4 in the name. Any idea?

Michael Carter
03-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Efe, I don't really know. The timing is different though. I don't exactly know how that works or what it means.

If you want it, lemme know.

andarlite
03-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Mike

There should be no reason for you to not use that memory. It's rated at a higher speed for what you wanted but it will still work. It's a different story the other way around if you needed a faster memory but bought a slower one by mistake. Put it in and use it.

Regards,
Henry

Michael Carter
03-12-2009, 12:14 PM
My computer specs say it won't work. It says that the fastest I can install is DDR2 PC25300 667Mhz. Is there some setting in the BIOS I can change so it will report the higher memory?

The FS server computer specs are the same or I would have tried it in that one too and put the old memory in the newer client.

The system(s) has an 800mhz FSB. I don't know why it won't work either, but I'm hesitant to install it since it's now for sale.

andarlite
03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
That's nonsense.... it will work. You don't need to change any settings.

Memory chips that are rated for 800 Mhz will work fine at 667Mhz.

All they are saying on the computer spec is not to waste your money on buying faster Ram than that because the computer will not make use of the faster Ram.

That's like saying that if you had a car that could go up to 100mph (typically you would buy tires rated for at least 100mph), but if you bought tires that were rated for 150mph that it wouldn't work on your car.

Regards,
Henry

Regards,
Henry

warvet
03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Yup,
Henry's right Mike it will most definitely work on your computer without a doubt. No issues will or should occur. I have 11 computers networked together I have run across this a ton of times. JMO hope it helps.

Tim

Gsey
03-12-2009, 01:47 PM
yep definately will work. The only thing you may have to do is increase the voltage of the ram in the bios. Most boards default at 1.8v but most corsair ram specs recommend to be run at 2.1 or 2.2v . Check the recommended voltage of the ram and adjust in bios. Dont worry about the timings. Lower timings are good when building a super fast system or overclocking. Those memory timings are fine.

Gary

Michael Carter
03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks fellas for the posts. I'll give it a try after work tonight.

airbus319
03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
If for some reason it doesnt work Michael update your motherboard bios to the latest version and that may resolve the issue.

All the other posters are spot on though memory should automatically step down to the bus speed of the motherboard.

Best of luck, were all hoping it works so we can see an awesome wideview video from you in the near future.

David.

Michael Carter
03-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Hmmm, well I think it works. The computer booted OK. While I was replying to this thread over an hour ago, the system hung. No mouse, no keyboard, no nothing. Cursor was locked too and was not flashing in the reply box.

I manually shut it down with the button, waited ten seconds and tried to start it again. It wouldn't even POST. Tried it two more times with the same results. I removed the memory sticks and gently inserted and removed each a few times to clean up the contacts and re-inserted them.

The system booted and has been running fine since about 2130 local. It still makes me nervous though, not knowing if this thing is just going to lock up at random.

I checked in the BIOS to see if the voltage was correct for these sticks. I found out they run on 1.9V. The option in my BIOS for setting core and memory voltage and timings isn't there, unless it's hidden with a key command that I don't know. I guess they don't want little Johnny fooling around with critical BIOS settings.

So now I don't have any idea what voltage the memory buss is running at and don't know if an incorrect voltage setting caused the crash. I've never seen a BIOS without those settings, nor is there an upgrade or different version.

eMachines support was no help. I don't even know if he knew what I was talking about. He had no information at all.

I guess I'll keep it for now. If it still gives me trouble down the road I guess I'll just replace it.

The machine booted fine on each individual stick BTW.

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Rodney
03-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Michael,
I can tell you that I have tested systems by Dell, HP, Compaq & Sun and tell you that they all have a custom BIOS for their products that do have what we would consider normal, hidden from view. Keeps the proprietary thing going.

Michael Carter
03-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Any hidden key commands that you know of for eMachines or Gateway Phoenix Award BIOS?

Michael Carter
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
So far, the system has been re-booted three times with no problems. I did find out through Everest that the memory buss voltage is only 1.8v and Corsair specifies 1.9v for this memory.

I don't know if that will cause stability issues, but FS9 sure smokes on this system now.

It loads twice as fast in heavy scenery areas as it did before, and I'm getting about 20fps on the ground at LOWW, EDDM, LOWI, and EDDF.

The video is smooth with AA turned all the way up. I did have to lower a few settings, but nothing really that I could see a difference in after repeated ajusting to see if I could see a difference. Frames went up by three more.

I don't think I can eek out anything more from this Celeron. I might upgrade to the Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale running at 2.8 Ghz. That would really give the system a kick in the pants.

I hope it doesn't screw with the OS validation.

Rodney
03-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Any hidden key commands that you know of for eMachines or Gateway Phoenix Award BIOS?
No hidden commands. Unless you can flash the chip, it can't be done. I don't mean a BIOS FW update from the web, but actually pull the chip and re-flash it.

At that voltage it is running fine, at the slower speed that your bus is capable of. Don't worry about it.

Michael Carter
03-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks Rodney. That puts my mind at ease.

It still puzzels me though, as to why it froze up after the very first boot and then wouldn't boot still after three attempts.

It's been running fine though after the fourth and subsequent boots.

andarlite
03-13-2009, 06:59 PM
You mentioned that you finally got it to boot after removing them and inserting them a few times to clean the contacts and then it's been working fine since. There's your reason.... probably just oxidation on the contacts.

Regards.
Henry