PDA

View Full Version : servos and slider pots.

booah
02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
hi ive got a question, if i buy myself some servos for my throttle quadrant, do i need to put in slider pots as well, can i use the servos to relay the info to fs?

fweinrebe
02-24-2009, 02:38 AM
The servos is probably used to move the Thrust Levers and the Pots are used to determine the position of the Thrust Levers?

You need both. The pot's position can be relayed to FS via some sort of joystick controller. The BU0836X is a good controller for that purpose. The servos on the other hand will need info from FS to move to the correct thrust position. For that you will need some type of output board that interfaces with FS via FSPUIC.

Michael Carter
02-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Here is some more good news; unless you are using the default 737 or PM, you probably won't get that information out of the sim that FSUIPC needs to regulate the autothrottle.

I hope I'm wrong.

MrRoper
02-24-2009, 05:03 AM
Default throttle offsets work fine for the PMDG :)

Michael Carter
02-24-2009, 05:11 AM
Glad to be wrong in this case. Hope there are others.

booah
02-24-2009, 09:34 AM
okok, that clears that up thanks guys, hmm what kind of pots do you use on your reverse thrust levers? having difficulty finding pots that i see as usefull for those levers.

Rodney
02-24-2009, 11:15 AM
okok, that clears that up thanks guys, hmm what kind of pots do you use on your reverse thrust levers? having difficulty finding pots that i see as usefull for those levers.

It depends on the length of your throw. For example on my real 727 throttle I need almost 5 inches of cable travel for the throttle and reversers. One way I tried I only needed a standard 300 degree throw pot as the cable distance was run around pulley's. Now I am working on building my own slider pot and I am using a 10 turn pot as the pulley is considerably smaller. A 3 turn pot may work too, but I'm not going to take that risk just yet until the design and testing is done. What I found is that a 3 turn is a couple dollars more than a 10 turn from one supplier at least. So reverse is the beginning of the pot range, then idle, then maximum throttle at the other end of the pot range. What others have done on their home built throttles ( that almost exactly replicate the real thing, and what craftsmanship they are too ) is use a 100 ohm, 100 cm slider type pot. Remember linear not audio for pots.

booah
02-24-2009, 06:32 PM
slide pots for the reverse thrust too then. i presume i need long wires to connect it with the lever.:P? cant posible fit it inside the main throttle lever

CocnutAir
02-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I do not believe your original specific question was addressed.

Answer: No. Servos cannot act as sensors.

mauriceb
02-25-2009, 09:16 AM
slide pots for the reverse thrust too then. i presume i need long wires to connect it with the lever.:P? cant posible fit it inside the main throttle lever

Building any throttle quadrant is difficult enough, and adding slider pots for reverse thrust does not add much to realism in my opinion. A simple switch to actuate the reversers works quite well since I would bet that in most cases in real life, when the reversers are engaged, you want maximum reverse thrust ( I could be wrong about that).
So, why complicate life for some functionality which I bet is seldom used and even less so in a home-built flight simulator.

My shields are up to deflect any attacks from the flight sim purists out there; you know who you are :D

Maurice

Michael Carter
02-25-2009, 09:38 AM
That's the way I built mine. It's all or nothing and all three are controlled with one switch.

It's enought for me, although 100% reverse is not used 100% of the time. There is the real danger of the engine ingesting foreign objects at high reverse settings. Especially for wing mounted engines.

It was tight enough in my throttle housing for five pots, let alone another three for independent adjustable reverse thrust.

The reverser unlocked and reverser lights come on, and it makes a heck of a noise. I like it and it works.

mauriceb
02-25-2009, 10:07 AM
That's the way I built mine. It's all or nothing and all three are controlled with one switch.

To me, that's enough validation to go with the switch approach, being that Michael is 'somewhat' of a purist and some would even say that Michael is the standard by which flight sim 'purism' is measured :D

Maurice

Michael Carter
02-25-2009, 10:21 AM
You might change your mind after you see the digital radio heads installed! ;)

Although many 727's were retro-fitted with the newest Collins heads, it will take some getting used to seeing those in the control stand.

booah
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
having truble finding phidget simple switches. like mini switches. ive found out that you get 8 switches in a start package, but i cant find any switches that are sold seperatly

Rodney
02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
To me, that's enough validation to go with the switch approach, being that Michael is 'somewhat' of a purist and some would even say that Michael is the standard by which flight sim 'purism' is measured :D

Maurice

I agree that a switch is a good solution for the reversers. I was just pointing out that in my case the pot is used as there is no feasable way to introduce a switch for that function. I am in no way a purist, rather I go for functionality.

mauriceb
02-25-2009, 12:12 PM
having truble finding phidget simple switches. like mini switches. ive found out that you get 8 switches in a start package, but i cant find any switches that are sold seperatly

Who said you need Phidget switches? Any other supplier would do.

Maurice

booah
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
are other switches compatible with phidgets then?

mauriceb
02-25-2009, 01:26 PM
are other switches compatible with phidgets then?

Any switch will do including you holding 2 pieces of insulated wire in your hands and touching the bare ends to each other to make contact :D

Maurice

Rodney
02-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Here is a link to some different type microswitches.

http://www.farnsworthelectronics.com/microswitches.htm

booah
02-25-2009, 01:51 PM
ah perfect! thanks guys for the help. I think i atleast am beginning to understand the electronics side of building a throttle quad. Hmm what type of wire do i need ot connect the switches with the phidget 8/8/8 board:p?

Michael Carter
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I recommend 22ga.

booah
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
22ga three color wire i presume?

mauriceb
02-25-2009, 05:02 PM
ah perfect! thanks guys for the help. I think i atleast am beginning to understand the electronics side of building a throttle quad. Hmm what type of wire do i need ot connect the switches with the phidget 8/8/8 board:p?

You may want to browse this website. Lots of interesting & useful information there, especially for beginners.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/switch.htm

Maurice

booah
02-26-2009, 08:07 AM
:Dperfect! thank you very much

CocnutAir
02-27-2009, 02:05 AM
What voltage(s) are you planning on using?