PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance on monitors behind panels

Goldmember
02-23-2009, 06:45 AM
So I've got my MIP and start to assemble the HW. Something I haven't figured out yet. How do you maintain machines that have monitors behind panels in the MIP, e.g. editing a configuration, install new stuff, maintain the network etcetera? A substantial part of Windows is not visible so how can you work with it?

I thought of logging in remotely from another computer but if you have to change or set someting in FS (which runs on several monitors), can this be done remotely?

dnoize
02-23-2009, 07:05 AM
I use VNC and can remotely access all my Flightsim computers from my desktop pc.

or the instructors station.

Stef

fweinrebe
02-23-2009, 07:54 AM
I use the build in function in Windows XP. Remote Desktop Connection. Look under Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Remote Desktop Connection.

Just make sure that you have set permissions to allow Remote Connections on each PC.

And make sure you have set Windows Firewall to allow only Remote connections for your network subnet only.

Trevor Hale
02-23-2009, 09:10 AM
I also use VNC Free addition. Works like a charm.

Trev

Michael Carter
02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I just use the outside view monitor for any tasks that need be done.

What I'd really like to do is be able to access my computer systems from my iPhone.

That would be cool.

ivar hestnes
02-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I use VNC. Works excellent.

dnoize
02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
What I'd really like to do is be able to access my computer systems from my iPhone.

That would be cool.

But you can !

Look for "remote desktop" by Mochasoft in the Appstore.

It will do just that. I think there are others too.

But trust me....you wont get happy by controlling your pc on the small Iphone screen.

They also have VNC for the iphone, which connects to a VNC server.

However, as much as i love my iphone, i wouldnt want controlling my pc's that way all day :-)

Have fun !

Stef

dnoize
02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
loads of aviation software too btw for the iphone

<back topic now>

Stef

Michael Carter
02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't want to do that all day either, but when I'm at work or away from the systems and need something, it's nice to be able to get into them.

I'll have a look at that ap.

RalphW
02-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I just use the outside view monitor for any tasks that need be done.

That would be cool.

Michael

Search for "Mocha VNC" at Apple and you will have VNC from your iPhone! It's free too!

Cheers

dnoize
02-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Michael

Search for "Mocha VNC" at Apple and you will have VNC from your iPhone! It's free too!

Cheers

Thats what i love about this community....help is always around the corner :-)

Stef

Michael Carter
02-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, I can't get it to work, but that doesn't surprise me any.

dnoize
02-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Michael,

what exactly doesnt work. i use the full version of Mocha VNC and its works without problems here.

But i only tried access from my own network. I have to connect by ip , not the name of the computer. Once connected i have full access to that computer.

Do you have VNC servers running on the computers you want to access ?

Stef

Michael Carter
02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Yes, David, (Deesystems) was on my computer yesterday.

The server is running, the IP has been entered, and the IP has been added to ZA, and the password is correct.

I only get a message saying "The host has closed the session"

I'm not fooling with it today. I have other sim problems to work on.

fweinrebe
02-25-2009, 05:36 AM
There is another program that allows you to connect remotely to another PC. TeamViewer. It can be downloaded for free from http://www.teamviewer.com.

What I like about it is that the free version allows File Transfer. VNC's free version does not. There is also a web connector for TeamViewer which allows you to connect via a web browser. And there is a Mac version.

dnoize
02-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Yes, David, (Deesystems) was on my computer yesterday.

The server is running, the IP has been entered, and the IP has been added to ZA, and the password is correct.

I only get a message saying "The host has closed the session"

I'm not fooling with it today. I have other sim problems to work on.

Michael,

I got that error once. Will play a bit with it tonight to see if i can find out what caused it .

Stef