PDA

View Full Version : Need for Multiple Computers??

trauma2005
02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Could someone explain why alot of people use multiple computers for the MCP displays. It seems like 1 decent computer should be able to handle running all the displays ( ie.. pilot/co-pilot PFD, EICAS, CDU's) with project magenta. Is there something Im missing here or is it just too much for one computer to handle? thanks

Michael Carter
02-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Well, I'm running on one system and I know Gwyn is too. But we don't use PM either.

I may resort to another computer to use WidevieW for outside displays.

I have one video port left and I'm going to see if I can squeeze another monitor out of this computer. Hopefully, that's going to get used up by a WX radar display.

AndyT
02-19-2009, 12:02 AM
The simple answer is yes/no/maybe but not necessarily in that order.

If you use FS9 then you can most likely get most everything running on one machine, especially if its a new one with lots of muscle.

If you run FSX, then chances are you will want to add another machine or two.

Now this factors in how old your machine is, how much RAM, and other hardware issues, software, how its configured, and a whole host of other things like what kind of plane, how real is it.... Does it have WX Radar... (:D)

Michael Carter
02-19-2009, 12:08 AM
One is always hoping! :D:D:D

trauma2005
02-19-2009, 12:08 AM
So what kind of computers would you need to run the displays if you did split it up? Seems like you should be able to get away with less expensive computers for the displays.

Rodney
02-19-2009, 12:20 AM
So what kind of computers would you need to run the displays if you did split it up? Seems like you should be able to get away with less expensive computers for the displays.

When I was running PM for a 737 I used a 1.2 Celeron and a 256Mb video card. Worked just fine. Because they were only running the ECAIS & FO not much power needed.