PDA

View Full Version : WIN 7 beta Multicores

Prof Bill
02-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Bill
If you are running dual or quad core processors you need to ensure they are configured to open up in VISTA .
I recently checked all my VISTA systems and those of others and found in all cases that VISTA by default configures one processor.

To check your VISTA system go to RUN.

Use the MS LOGO key between Ctrl and Alt whilst pressing it simultaneously press R and type in msconfig.
Beneath the BOOT tab choose Advanced.
You will be given the option in that window to tell the OS how many processors you are running. Tick the appropriate box.
By default you will most probably find it is set to one. On closure you will be asked to reboot.
You will find that after reboot VISTA will be configured to utilise all your processor power.

Bill

It would appear that in the WIN 7 Beta release that the default number of processors is set to one processor not four.
To change to four processors repeat the steps that were outlined above for VISTA. Do not be tempted to alter or tick the memory box as WIN 7 seems to automatically do its own allocation. Some more investigation needs to be carried out here to fully understand how best to optimise memory.

I am really pleased with what I have experienced with WIN 7 Beta to date in terms of performance improvement.

Bill.

Matt Olieman
02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi Bill, I too am so pleased with WIN 7. Thank you for your continued added comments.

BTW, Does DX10 work with WIN 7, I've got the 64 bit version?

Matt Olieman

Prof Bill
02-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi Bill, I too am so pleased with WIN 7. Thank you for your continued added comments.

BTW, Does DX10 work with WIN 7, I've got the 64 bit version?

Matt Olieman

Hi Matt, my experiences are with the 32 bit version and that works well with DX10 and believe it or not it also works with DX11 that seemed to arrive on a couple of my WIN 7 Beta machines earlier in the week!

Bill.

Matt Olieman
02-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks Bill :)

I just read in another forum that DX 11 is automaticly installed with WIN 7. Can anyone confirm that and how can I check my system to see if it's installed?

Thanks,
Matt Olieman

Trevor Hale
02-13-2009, 03:13 PM
at the run command in windows.

Type dxdiag and hit enter..

There you will see your version.

Trev

Matt Olieman
02-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I've got DirectX 11 in WIN 7 64 bit

Matt Olieman

Prof Bill
02-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks Matt and Trevor!

I had one or two of the very early pre release versions on a couple of experimental systems and as a result of your correspondence have now updated them! I had better start improving my system housekeeping!

Have a look at the last page of the enclosed link to The Royal Academy of Engineering Winter 2008

http://www.raeng.org.uk/about/fellowship/pdf/newsletter/Winter_News_2008.pdf

The pilot Fred Brooks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Brooks and I go back a long way. He is one of the great old men of computing!

You might enjoy it!

Bill.

Matt Olieman
02-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks Matt and Trevor!
Have a look at the last page of the enclosed link to The Royal Academy of Engineering Winter 2008

http://www.raeng.org.uk/about/fellowship/pdf/newsletter/Winter_News_2008.pdf

The pilot Fred Brooks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Brooks and I go back a long way. He is one of the great old men of computing!

You might enjoy it!

Bill.

I certainly DID enjoy it, and am quite impressed with the write up you got. Your sim in action.

Congratulations Professor on a job well done :)

and btw, thanks for sharing that bit with us :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

brynjames
02-14-2009, 03:24 PM

I can't help noticing that wine glasses feature prominently in many pictures I have seen of your rig. I presume this is merely to enable the motion jacks to be properly levelled :)

As for the pilot Fred Brooks, a copy his book The Mythical Man-Month is right behind me as I type (Executive Summary: doubling the number of software engineers does not halve the project completion time - now why does that make me think of MSFS and X-Plane?).

Thanks for the interesting post.

--
Bryn

Prof Bill
02-22-2009, 11:07 AM
The following "gossip" seems to be circulating regarding the release of WIN 7 later this year!

As the release of Windows 7 grows nearer, Microsoft is expected to offer coupons with Windows Vista sales, to allow people to upgrade to Windows 7 for free at its launch.

It would be most helpful to many if it had any credence and also if it applied retrospectively to current VISTA users!

Nevertheless it seems at variance with recent Microsoft announcements that suggest a strategy for improving VISTA as suggested by the link below.

http://www.insidetech.com/news/articles/3449-ms-planning-mid-2009-release-for-win-7?referral=IT_nlet

Does anyone have further enlightenment on the matter?

Bill.

Prof Bill
03-01-2009, 01:07 PM
The following link is worth browsing for more information on WIN 7 Beta release!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2341805,00.asp

Bill

LUFTY
05-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi Bill

By default the tick box "Number of Processors" is not ticked so the number of processors in the drop down is irrelevant.

This is a diagnostic function so that a system can be tested with a limited number of core to diagnose multithreading issues etc.

By default Windows Vista and Win 7 will use all cores on the processor and therefore ticking the "Number of Processors" box and setting the number of cores on your processor will make no difference what so ever.

Kind regards

Lufty

Swiss1673
05-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Hi

Im not understand the discussion about 64bit! Fs2004 and FSX are pure 32bit applications. If you install a 64bit version of a OS (XP, Vista, Win7) you don't have a advantage of speed! The opposite is true... the 64bit have to calculate 32bit in a other way and you will loosing speed.

There was also an article in a german FS Magazine: They reached more then double of frame rates with 32bit System (espacially the new I7 Cpu) with a Video Card they cost around 60$ !

Thats means: The components (Bus, Cpu, Ram, Videocard etc.) are more importend and will improve the speed of Flightsim much more then 64 bit System!

Daniel

LUFTY
05-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Hi

Im not understand the discussion about 64bit! Fs2004 and FSX are pure 32bit applications. If you install a 64bit version of a OS (XP, Vista, Win7) you don't have a advantage of speed! The opposite is true... the 64bit have to calculate 32bit in a other way and you will loosing speed.

There was also an article in a german FS Magazine: They reached more then double of frame rates with 32bit System (espacially the new I7 Cpu) with a Video Card they cost around 60$ !

Thats means: The components (Bus, Cpu, Ram, Videocard etc.) are more importend and will improve the speed of Flightsim much more then 64 bit System!

Daniel
Hi Daniel

You are absolutely correct that FSX is a 32 bit application and therefore in isolation has no benefit running under a 64 bit operating system.

However 64 bit operating systems can cope with larger memory addresses and therefore whereas you are limited to giving FSX about 3 Gigabytes of memory under a 32 bit operating system, this is not the case under 64 bit operating systems.

3 Gigabytes sounds massive but with high end graphics cards having upto 2 gigabytes of onboard ram which needs addressing by the operating system, you can quickly find ram being a limitation on high end systems.

Also remember the operating system will be running in 64 bit mode along with many device drivers (most modern hardware comes with 64 bit drivers such as graphics drivers) which gives you a slight benefit.

I have not read or experienced any penalty for running 32 bit apps under a 64 bit operating system and indeed if anything I have seen a marginal improvement.

I do however totally agree that the real benefit would be if Microsoft released a 64 bit version of FSX which we all know is unlikely to happen.

Typically recompiling an application using a 64 bit compiler gives you between 10% and 100% improvement in performance over 32 bit but it does depend on the type of processing and calculations that the application is making.

My guess is that in 5 years time the standard for new systems will be 64 bit and likewise for new applications.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Lufty

Matt Olieman
05-10-2009, 09:11 AM
In general, although FS runs 32bit, I find the overall performance of running FS faster and quicker responses. I would think that is due to the OS system and it's applications running in 64 bit mode and not bogging down FS.

May be I'm way off base.... LOL

Matt Olieman

ran56
05-10-2009, 11:08 AM
On the first public beta I tested of Win7 64bit, FSX ran much smoother then
on XP sp2.

Later this week I will test the RC of Win7 64 bit + FSX tweaks
and see if there are Any improvements.

E8400
GF 9800GT + 512mb
2G DDR2 6400
Asus WS64Pro