PDA

View Full Version : Are cockpitsonic ripping us off??

airbus319
02-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry to have to ask this question but I'm either being stupid or we are being ripped off, there may be a third option and I am willing to take advice if anyone has some

I've been looking at buying 2 x ALPS Dual encoders with knobs from cockpitsonic, but when I searched I accidently clicked on their USA website, so I went onto order these at the total sum of 24.00 dollars and 2.46 dollars postage.

However it wont let you order outside the USA so I went to the .DE site and clicked to order the same two items, suddenly the price has increased to 46 euros with a delivery charge of 19.63 euros.

I have to ask why are these 3 times more expensive to buy and roughly 5 times more expensive to ship than in the USA especially whn the USA site claims all parts are shipped direct from Germany in the first place

I really dont like the idea of being ripped off so if anyone has any idea why, besides the obvious 19% tax, these are more expensive I would love to hear from you.

thanks for your time

Dave

vidarf
02-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I think Simparts.de has them for a reasonable price.

Edit: just checked. 20 euros + shipping.

AndyT
02-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Have you taken into account exchange rates?
There must be a reason, but I tend to agree with you. It does not sound fair.

JBaymore
02-07-2009, 08:41 PM
How about the impact of VAT?

best,

..............john

Matt Olieman
02-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Dave, you're being a little harsh, don't you think.

Don't ask us, ask Cockpitsonic, wouldn't you think they have the answer?

Matt Olieman

AndyT
02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Excellent point Matt.

David Withers
02-08-2009, 04:48 AM
all i know is... that their shipping can be fairly hefty. because of this i stopped buying from them. shame cause he is such a nice bloke.

@matt...he is asking everyone that has ever bought from cockpitsonic....cockpitsonic run a business and they will tell him whatever...as he did to me....dunno if it would be good to ask them (i run a big business so i can talk..he he)..he isnt being harsh..WE ALL know their shipping is HUGE!!.

@airbus319.....there are plenty of other suppliers out there, pick and choose....no point in winging about what you cant change.

airbus319
02-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi folks

thank you for all your replies so far

I did not mean to be harsh in any way, yesterday I spent most of the day wiring up my cockpitsonic breakout board to my MIP which I kindly bough from Bobrelax at the tail end of last year, it's a fantastic piece of kit (although the wiring diagram is a bit of a nightmare) and this is what made me think about using the company again for some other bits and bobs.

However I just couldnt believe the price difference between the two websites, even when taking into account the 19% tax that's payable in europe.

My intention is to email cockpitsonic direct on monday, but I didnt think there would be any point until then as I considered that the business would only trade within business hours but what I wanted to do was ask the question here as I know that the experiences of the members is widely varied and reliable.

I meant no offence folks but I had to ask the question and if indeed the answer is that the european prices have been somewhat inflated then I feel I have a duty to let you folks know that aswell

I will keep you updated when I get a reply from cockpitsonic

regards

David.

tasmanet
02-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Simple

They have got the exchange rate back to front ;)

airbus319
02-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi All, I started this thread and I hope to finish it with this final post

Cockpitsonic USA are selling the rotary encoders with knobs a lot cheaper than cockpitsonic.de.

They are happy to post to Europe, I was quoted 10 USD for postage which I consider to be very reasonable.

So there we have it, I hope someone else will make best use of this availablility and save some money for other cockpit parts in the process.

best regards,

David.

Matt Olieman
02-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Just curious; out of all fairness, did you contact Cockpitsonic.de ????

Matt Olieman

airbus319
02-10-2009, 08:46 AM
No I didnt Matt,

Cockpitsonic.de's prices are clearly on there website just the same as cockpitsonicusa's prices are on there's.

Naturally I contacted the people who supply the item at the cheapest price although somewhat Niavely I thought the two were one and the same so it wouldnt matter.

At the end of the day I think the most important thing is the fact that we as a community get good value for our hard earned money, this one transaction alone could save our members roughly 30 - 40 euros which to some builders on a budget could mean the cost of the interface card to run these encoders or something else they may need to complete a section of their cockpit.

regards,

David