PDA

View Full Version : Source for 737 eyebrow moldings

orwell84
02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
I`m looking for these items either used real ones or made by sim suppliers. Thanks for the help.

steveeverson
02-05-2009, 03:11 AM
Me too, especially if anyone can make replicas of the newer NG style ones.
Cheers
Steve:D

ian@737ng.co.uk
02-05-2009, 04:23 AM
hi men......
got mine from nick at the airline pilots histrorical society.
he has them in from time to time. or he'll put you on a waiting list.
great source of bits and nice people to deal with.

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/

rgds ... ian

Efe Cem Elci
02-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Yes Nick is definitely a great help and will answer any questions you have in detail and with sincerity (about availability of said part, frequency that he gets them, his pricing vs. market value, etc).

vidarf
02-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I bought my eyebrow trimmings from AHS, and am looking into ways to make replicas. If I find a way to do it, I will notify the community. Cost will be zero-profit. :)

Tossing an idea out here: will clear plastic moulds be satisfactory? I am tinking vacuum-forming here.

Trevor Hale
02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Clear would be awesome that way you can paint to match on your own.

Trev

Michael Carter
02-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes I'd be interested. You could make them pink for all I care. Painting is easy!

vidarf
02-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I'll look into this then. No promises, so don't rely on me on this. :) Contact AHS and place yourself on their list. That was how I got mine.
If I can make good replicas, I will try to make some for you guys. But don't hold your breath.... There are some obstacles that has to be addressed first.

Michael Carter
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
I've been on the list for over a year.

He will not answer e-mails to either his new address or the old flaps15@aol.com address either. I don't know what's happened to him or the organization.

Others have said that he will not contact them either. I've been a regular money spending customer of his for four years now.

Rodney
02-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I've been in constant communication with him and exchanged 2 emails this morning. He has a 1000 lb order on its way from a recent teardown with some parts for me. Hopefully something you need too Michael. Email I use is the one on the APHS Web site 72715KATgmaildotcom

Michael Carter
02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks! I'll try again. That is the e-mail he told me to use, but he's not responding.

I need a quick-don O2 mask and a couple of other small parts.

steveeverson
02-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Thanks Vidar,
i would definitley buy some replicas if you made them and as Michael says, it doesnt matter if they are clear as they can always be painted.
cheers
Steve

David Withers
02-06-2009, 07:34 AM
i have done this a few times and the approach for eyebrows is just as easy.

the finished mould is one of a plaster or fibreglass outer with a addition cure flexible silicon inner. this saves money and makes the mould rigid.

its quite easy once you know how. the materials are from make-up/movie set artist supplies.

pm me if you are attempting this. i can mould intricate men holding swords over their heads in one piece.

eyebrows are ten times easier.

orwell84
03-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Still no luck finding these. I'm on a waiting list at AHS. Flight deck solutions will be making these, but they are not available yet. I would consider them making them myself, but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth in the long run. I may build my pit without eybrow windows then add them later when I can grab a set of moldings. Anyway, I think there are version of the 737 w/o eybrow windows, but I think they look very interesting and distinctive and I will absolutely have to include them at some point.

paulj
03-21-2009, 08:02 AM
I know of at least 1 aussie airline that has 737 w/o eyebrows.
Virgin Blue has both types.

Paul

mpl330
03-21-2009, 08:24 AM
But even without the 'eyebrow' glass they still have the mouldings inside...

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6474686&nseq=13

So we still need them :-( - trying to make the best of it with some wood until a mould is available...
Cheers
Mike

orwell84
03-21-2009, 08:55 AM
You are correct. Every photo I have seen of eyebrowless 737's still has the molding inside. Some flight sim supplier should make these and crank them out. I'm sure they would sell really well.

mpl330
03-21-2009, 09:01 AM
You are correct. Every photo I have seen of eyebrowless 737's still has the molding inside. Some flight sim supplier should make these and crank them out. I'm sure they would sell really well.

Too right! I'd buy some so I wouldnt have to do what I am trying to do today - make something that is "close" out of straight edged wood - today may be a wasted build day... :mad:

James Parker
03-22-2009, 04:02 AM
I know you are looking for mouldings for the eyebrows but this guy made an exellent job out o wood.

http://www.737ngproject.be/GlareShield.htm

orwell84
03-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't see them anywhere on his site.

Efe Cem Elci
03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Perhaps James thought you meant the glareshield wings?

James Parker
03-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Excuse me i thought the eyebrows were the Glareshield wing.

orwell84
03-23-2009, 06:30 AM
That's ok. He did do a nice ajob on those.

Thanks.

orwell84
05-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I found a set of eyebrow moldings. The price is $300 US shipped. Salesman said he would try not to break them when removing them since they are glued on.

Does this sound reasonable? Should I try to bargain for a better price? What about the glued on part? How likely are they to break. I have been looking awhile for these.

Thanks for the help.

Rodney
05-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I found a set of eyebrow moldings. The price is $300 US shipped. Salesman said he would try not to break them when removing them since they are glued on.

Does this sound reasonable? Should I try to bargain for a better price? What about the glued on part? How likely are they to break. I have been looking awhile for these.

Thanks for the help.

Glued on???? They are a tight fit due to what they cover and their shape, but not glued on. Mine are pretty heavy and unless a gorilla handles them during shipment I wouldn't think they would break.

orwell84
05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I have seen photos and they are thick, heavy looking pieces of plastic. I agree with you, a gorilla would have to try to break them or purpose. I am thinking of asking for a better price and stating that I don't want a broken set. Minor cracks ok, but don't send a broken set.

What do you think? Go with these or keep looking?

Rodney
05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
300 shipped, seen them for almost that much apiece. See if you can get pictures.

orwell84
05-08-2009, 09:39 PM
It sounds to me like they have not been pulled from the aircraft yet. It is basically a useless part for anyone but flight simmers. They usually get tossed AFAIK. The guy may not know if they come out easy because he may never have pulled a set.

I know APHS sells them for $125 each. Don't know what they charge for shipping, but they are considered the cheapest so it seems in the ballpark.

Should I take a chance? Even if they are not perfect they would probably be reparable. I have never shopped for aircraft parts before.

Hey and thanks.

Jackpilot
05-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Got mine from Nick too, a good while ago, they are never perfect due to the material they are made of ,sort of rubbery foam, I suppose they are fine when new but after years of UV, abuse and overheated cockpits (on the ground!) they develop some wavy pattern!
I am happy with it.

blueskydriver
06-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I put this posting below on the interiors post, but I wanted to add it here. So, please read and tell me what you think. Also, I have an idea about filler; it could be expansion foam. Expansion foam that comes in spray cans that is used for insulation cracks/seams, etc. could be used as a filler behind the plastic mold itself, and it would be lightweight.

These copies would be clear and yet firm, so you can paint them yourself. They would not be as strong as the original, but it would not need to be since your simulator is not actually flying and producing pressure and g-factor effects on the plastic.

Otherwise, what other ideas does anyone have on the filler?

Hey all,

I was just surfing YouTube for making homemade vaccum formers and it looks like something easy to do. I have the interiors for the 727, so I don't think many would want these molded, plus making a molder big enough would be hard (but not impossible).

However, many have asked about the eyebrow molds and that seems much easier to do. Of course the ones I have are from 727, but they'd be close for a 737.

Assuming I used ABS plastic or some other similar material, what would be used to make this a solid object. In other words, if the plastic is vac down on the eyebrow it would produce a copy, but it would be thin and flimsy. So to make it a solid object, what would I use to fill it in or up?

Hot plastic as a filler would not work because it would melt the molded copy, fiberglass material would be too exspensive, so it would have to be something cheap and that hardens, but does not require heat...

Any suggestions on this part and I would attempt to vac copy/mold mine and sell them at a cheap price. If we could figure out the filler, then everyone could do that part themselves and I could just make the molds, so the shipping would be lighter and cheaper.

Of course I would not know the outcome without trying it first.

mauriceb
06-16-2009, 01:28 PM
But even without the 'eyebrow' glass they still have the mouldings inside...

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6474686&nseq=13

So we still need them :-( - trying to make the best of it with some wood until a mould is available...
Cheers
Mike

That is not quite true I believe. Unless my eyes deceive me, these 737 flight decks do not have eyebrows (mouldings) (at least not the traditional ones):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/SkyEurope-Airlines/Boeing-737-76N/1192850/M/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Gol-Transportes-Aereos/Boeing-737-76N/1067072/M/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/EasyJet-Airline/Boeing-737-73V/0695333/M/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/PrivatAir/Boeing-737-7AK-BBJ/0535397/M/

Maurice

dnoize
06-16-2009, 02:12 PM
they are still there...just without the windows...

its hard to see because theres no glass, but just check this picture that you posted.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/SkyEurope-Airlines/Boeing-737-76N/1192850/M/

You can see the light is still in the same space in the eyebrow.

Stef

mauriceb
06-16-2009, 02:23 PM
You can see the light is still in the same space in the eyebrow.

Stef

Yes, I did see that as well, but the eyebrow in this case does not look like a deep molded eyebrow. Compared to the very curvy regular eyebrows, this one almost looks flat with just a small recess and I think that would not be too hard to replicate

Maurice

dnoize
06-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I checked my archives and found this one giving a good shot of them.

Stef

mauriceb
06-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I checked my archives and found this one giving a good shot of them.

Stef

This is not the same setup. The light in the picture I posted is right next to the overhead while yours is quite separate from the overhead. I know there are 'fake' eyebrows in many cases where there are no windows, but the pictures I posted definitely show a different kind of fake eyebrow than the one in your picture. Maybe the angle of the shot hides the depth of the eyebrow, but it sure looks fairly flat to me.

Maurice

ivar hestnes
06-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I am pretty sure that it is the same old eyebrow mouldings. If you look carefully at the pictures, you can see that there are extra plastic inserts, screwed into the "old" eyebrows, which reduces the depth. Maybe Boeing have added some insulation behind that insert. Also on the capt side, there are also a removable cover for easier installation of HGS system.

And the lights are placed in various places in the 737, because of what options the customer want installed, or plan to install at a later time. Example HGS system
:)

mauriceb
06-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Well Ivar, when the time comes for me, I'll have my own custom one-of-a-kind eye patch on the ceiling :D. I'm not one who worries about 100% faithful reproduction of a real flight deck, mostly because I can't afford a real deck and I don't have the skills to make it look like a faithful reproduction. You might say I am 'reproductively challenged' :D

Maurice

ivar hestnes
06-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Wish I had a real flightdeck too buddy;) I am not looking forward to make the eyebrows. Tricky job. But I dont really care either if they dont get perfect. Happy if I can get the rest of the wood frame covered and paint it grey:)

mauriceb
06-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Wish I had a real flightdeck too buddy;) I am not looking forward to make the eyebrows. Tricky job. But I dont really care either if they dont get perfect. Happy if I can get the rest of the wood frame covered and paint it grey:)

After seeing the rest of your 'imperfect' work, I would be stunned if your eyebrows don't look perfect when you are done. ;).

Maurice

ivar hestnes
06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I have already had one attempt, with bad result. It is so tricky to work upwards. Will do a new attempt next time the roof is off. Think I have a good material to use now. Cant remember what it is called. But it is used in the cargo-holds of a lorry. Fibreglass cargoholds. Willfigure out the name. Great material to work with. Easy to sand into shape, and it can take almost all kind of glue and paint.

blueskydriver
06-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Regarding the Eyebrows, I got my wife too help me and this is what came of it. We made a DIY Vacuum Forming box to test the idea first, and then the plan is to make a bigger Vac Former and make formed copies of my Eyebrow Moldings.

See the attached photos on the post of the interior liners posting (Here: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16372&page=2)
to see what we did... You'll notice that we used wooden, plastic and cloth objects to make molds of. So, the chance of messing up the eyebrows are remote. We found that the key is the right amount of time under the stoves top electric wire (broiler setting) and the right amount of vac pressure.

Finally, we think that we could make a larger DIY box roughly 24inchesx24inches. This should be big enough for the eyebrows and enough vac pressure too draw the plastic down 6 inches. We'll keep you informed and the next step would be the back filling material.

I checked on expansion foam and was told that the door and window type is best because it only expands a little, as opposed to Max Expansion Foam, which expands a great deal...