PDA

View Full Version : A new affordable approach to Flight Simulation Motion!

Prof Bill
12-22-2008, 12:51 PM
This link which went up on Ian Hoppers site today might be of interest!

http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Sim/display-motion.php

Very best wishes to all for a Happy Christmas and prosperous New Year!

Bill.

Roland
12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Definitely interesting! Great to see these kind of research results become available for the homebuilders community. Thanks a lot Bill !
....now cracking my brain how to get my triple LCD panel structure to move....

Geremy Britton
12-22-2008, 07:42 PM
LOL cool, i didn't actually think of the prospect of getting the projector to move instead of the whole sim. That's a neat idea if you can get it to respond to flight simulator.

One thing though, if there's turbulence and the projector is moving quickly and vigorously the projector bulb will be out and broken before you've passed 1,000 feet.

Keep up updated on that one though!

Matt Olieman
12-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Excellent article Bill, congratulations and thanks :)

Matt Olieman

AndyT
12-22-2008, 09:35 PM
As an addition to a platform that is moving, I can see how it would create an even greater feeling of immersion.

No Longer Active
01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I love the way people are coming up with all sorts of new concepts and ideas, something like this being so simple, why didnt anyone else think of this? Very good article, i like it!

IanH1960
01-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi All,

This might be of interest to any motion folks. I've managed to cobble together a software implementation of the display movement idea which should be useful for demonstration purposes at least. It produces the same movement effects as physically moving the projector but on a standard monitor and without any projector hardware and drive mechanics etc.

It does this by producing a duplicate FS main window, reducing it in size a bit and moving it around on the black background in response to the flight movements. The demonstration application is really intended for use on a dual screen setup and with a fairly good PC (I have a dual core vista machine with an nvidia 8000 series card) as the sim frame rate will take a 5/6 fps hit and there are some calcs and bitmap operations to do that need some CPU share. It will run on a single monitor setup but the real sim window needs to be on top and active to retain keyboard function, audio etc, so the moving display will be partially hidden.

More details and the file download here -

http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Sim/display-motion-page3.php

There's a wee movie clip of the effect about halfway down the page on the left. Note that the motion effects are scaleable and re-settable in terms of sharpness of response etc.

If anyone tries the demo software can you be sure to read the notes on the web page first, these explain how to set it up etc - the application is fairly rough and ready and might need some coaxing into action and is a bit prone to falling over!

For best effects it is best viewed in a darkened room so that most other visual distractions are removed.

Ian

Trevor Hale
01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow.. very interesting.. For those who have a monitor in front of their sealed pit, this would help 10 fold.

Great stuff.

Best regards,

Trev

No Longer Active
01-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Great, i might give the demo a shot as i have a fixed 22" monitor in my cessna, it might work really well, i'll post what i think once ive tried it!

Again many thanks for this!

AP08

dominickbox
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Prof Bill,

Ian Hopper suggests on his website that your work in this area is a product of ORB Research... Where can one get more info on your work on this concept?

Dominickbox@yahoo.com

Thank you