PDA

View Full Version : Squawkbox Software.

Geremy Britton
12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi, I have known about squawkbox for a long while now but because i don't have an internet connection i can't download it (But now im thinking of getting an interenet connection for this - as the realism this adds is great.)

However i'm in the UK can you still download this?

And my second question is does it require VATSIM to funtion? Which is better?

And if anyone has any experiences (positive or negative!) of either of these programmes please let me know.

Thanks very much..

ian@737ng.co.uk
12-07-2008, 12:41 PM
what oh Gez........
squawkbox is the program that is going to connect you to the vatsim network. the vatsim network connects online pilots and airtraffic controllers so the pilot can be 'controlled' in any phase of flight as long as there is a controller online covering that paticular phase. e.g. a centre, an approach, tower etc.
you get squawkbox from http://www.squawkbox.ca
very highly recommended because quite rightly, the interaction really adds to the reality factor. be brave chap, go for it ...
best regards ... ian

Geremy Britton
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Is there a liklihood of there being no Air traffic controllers online or at a particular centre etc. Where i wouldn't be able to make contact because there isn't anyone so the flight would be ruined.

What happens there..:-?

Michael Carter
12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
That's always possible depending upon the time of day and the area. Europe is probably pretty busy right now, but the US may be slow as everyone is at work or school.

Sometimes it's a catch 22 situation. Controller won't log on because they don't see any flight plans or pilots in their area and pilots won't log on because they don't see any controllers.

Check the VATSIM and IVAO controller schedules to see when some of them work regularly. There are also event days on IVAO like German Day on Tuesdays (I think, it's been awhile) and others. There are also many controller exams that take place throughout the week and they love the traffic. The more the better.

Tomlin
12-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Is there a liklihood of there being no Air traffic controllers online or at a particular centre etc. Where i wouldn't be able to make contact because there isn't anyone so the flight would be ruined.

Well, that's the biggest reason folks use Radar Contact or the (gasp...) default ATC. However, when there's tons of folks online it is Very fun and exciting. Especially when using voice.

sas550
12-08-2008, 06:14 PM

I might misundertand your q but you don't ruin you're flight so you can't fly.

It's perfectly possible to fly logged on to Vatsim with no controllers. But as the other guys says it's not so fun.

When no controllers are online you type your intentions (if there's any other traffic at your location) in the Squawkbox textfield at a channel called "Unicom" 122.80

388TH_A
12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
That's always possible depending upon the time of day and the area. Europe is probably pretty busy right now, but the US may be slow as everyone is at work or school.

Sometimes it's a catch 22 situation. Controller won't log on because they don't see any flight plans or pilots in their area and pilots won't log on because they don't see any controllers.

Check the VATSIM and IVAO controller schedules to see when some of them work regularly. There are also event days on IVAO like German Day on Tuesdays (I think, it's been awhile) and others. There are also many controller exams that take place throughout the week and they love the traffic. The more the better.

I like flying on VATSIM instead of IVAO because it seems like there is always more ATC and Aircraft online.