PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive not found by XP

choffmann
11-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi ev´rybody,

has anybody come across this strange windows XP problem?
about 10 minutes (variable) after starting my PC windows does not recognize my DVD drive anymore. When trying to read from my FS9 CD, it says: insert CD 4 in drive. - But it´s already there!
When looking up the system event log, I found out there´s an event ID 12: the DVD drive was removed without earlier notice. But it´s physically there and I have made no changes on the hardware. How can this happen? Is there a solution? I looked up some microsoft forums, and similar problems have been reported there, but there is no solution to be found.

Cheers Chris

BHawthorne
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Sounds like the drive is failing, or the connector or cable is going bad. Worse case, buy another dvd drive for $15-25 and replace it.

Michael Carter
11-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Reloading the drivers couldn't hurt either.

fweinrebe
11-26-2008, 08:40 AM
If using IDE, check that the cable is plugged in properly, better replace the cable with another and see if the cable wasn't the problem. Do the same with the power cable if you can. Then consider buying another DVD player.

The fact that its working for 10 minutes probably means that some component(s) are warming up causing the failure.

choffmann
11-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I will go through these options. The drivers are the most recent available.

Chris