PDA

View Full Version : LG LCD screens - connect 8 screens (6 via USB)

fweinrebe
11-03-2008, 08:02 AM
I read about this new LG LCD screen than can connect up to 6 LCD screen via USB, 1 on the normal VGA port and 1 on a D-sub port. It then gives you 8 screens on a laptop/pc.

Here are the link: http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/L206WU.jhtml

It might be a solution for someone's' cockpit project. I would love to see how the 6 screens on USB performs.

Mr. Midnight
11-03-2008, 11:22 AM
That sounds like as great product, but I wonder if it would work on a sim.

It might solve some problems like added instruments, but I don’t think it will work as far as views, because of resources, it has to come from somewhere, and if you are asking a computer to run fsx and then control however many monitor you connect to it. Look out

If you are running regular desktop applications I see no problem, but as you load Fsx and then ask it to run on several monitors, there will be a problem, in my humble opinion.

Of course this may be a new technology that is out there that I may have not heard of.

Robert

oal331
11-04-2008, 07:13 AM
I' m not sure if the Multi Monitor setup works with one VGA and then USB to other monitors, or from Pc's USB to all monitors.
So the problem is if the "USB device" supports 3D (directx) or it is for simple graphics like Office applications, ie etc.

Eddie

Kennair
11-04-2008, 07:50 AM
This has been raised a number of times and as already suggested, the speed of USB video is only useful for slower desktop applications not gaming. Might be an option for smaller addons like an FMC however.

Ken.

BHawthorne
11-04-2008, 08:06 AM
The technology is solely useful in 2D applications. USB bandwith is only 1 issue. The other larger issue is the lack of capability of the GPU in those products. If you want truely cheap video output just pick up a 8800GS/9600GSO and any regular old LCD. The G92 based economy card has plenty of graphics horsepower and old enough to cost cents on the dollar compared to when it first came out.

If you're looking to do this kind of thing just to push lots of video outs on a single computer you can run on most standard ATX computers 12 monitors via a combination of PCI and PCIe video cards put in the 6 slots.