PDA

View Full Version : Hello- Introduction

PSmurfy
10-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi.

My names Phil. I'm from the UK and I'm currently studying a Mechanical Engineering Degree.

I am now in my final year and for my project I have decided to design a flight simulator motion platform. I was supprised (altho I dont' think I should have been in this day and age) to find a webside dedicated to doing just that :D.

I will keep you up to date on my progress and I may also occasionally ask a few silly questions :razz:.

I'm off to browse the forum now for some inspiration :D.

Phil

Efe Cem Elci
10-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Welcome to MyCockpit Phil!

We definitely could use some expert help with motion platform building and I'm sure you will find a lot of information and expertise here. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need (irregardless of their simplicity/complexity) as I'm sure many of us would love to find a cost-effective way to build a motion platform to supplement our cockpits.

Matt Olieman
10-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Phil and welcome to MyCockpit.org If you don't get inspired here, you won't get inspired at all.... LOL :) :) :)

Lot's of info and fellow builders to help. Glad you decided to join in with our fun hobby :) :)

Matt Olieman

Michael Carter
10-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I Phil and welcome to the best builder site on the web.

If you need help just throw out a question. Someone will grab it up.

AndyT
10-27-2008, 03:18 AM
Ah motion! Love it love it love it!
We have motion pits here that range from wheelchair motors (Mine and at least 1 other) to hanging platforms that are wire controlled. There are some truly amazing ideas here. Please post yours and add to the insanity.

PSmurfy
10-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome :D

I'll keep you all up to date on how I am getting on.

I think my first task is to upgrade my computer tho as I think it will stuggle when it comes to stress analysing the CAD models :(

Phil

Tracy Hale
10-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Phil, welcome to MyCockpit, glad you could join us. :D

PSmurfy
11-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I haven't got very far with this yet but I have been doing a bit of research.

We have a guest visiting the university for the next week or two. He is a very experienced glider (sailplane) instructor who is very keen on developing a glider simulator. We sat in one of his lectures this morning which was focused on simulators which we found very useful. After this he gave us 2hrs of his time to discuss our ideas and and to answer any questions we had. He was also kind enough to give us all the information he has collected on gliders/simulators over the last year or so. I just need to find some time to read through it all :D. He has also arranged for a few of us to visit a local gliding school where they have built their own simulator and to go for a ride in a glider (weather permitting). :D

Efe Cem Elci
11-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Doesn't look like it should give you too much trouble.
http://www.bordersgliding.co.uk/images/a34cockpit%20inst.jpg

Prof Bill
11-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi.

My names Phil. I'm from the UK and I'm currently studying a Mechanical Engineering Degree.

I am now in my final year and for my project I have decided to design a flight simulator motion platform. I was supprised (altho I dont' think I should have been in this day and age) to find a webside dedicated to doing just that :D.

I will keep you up to date on my progress and I may also occasionally ask a few silly questions :razz:.

I'm off to browse the forum now for some inspiration :D.

Phil

Which UK University?
Send a private message if you wish!

Bill.

meo_udon
11-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Hello PSmurfy. Welcome to motion room.