PDA

View Full Version : PC Power Supply Conversion

AndyT
10-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I have a number of power supplies around that I can use but I'm having trouble with them. I've done the conversion on one but I'm not getting the latching correct or something. When I plug it in and throw the switch, I get a moment of power then it shuts off. Here is the guide I used.

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/PowerSupply.htm

Can someone help with this?

WJH308
10-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I most certainly can help you with this, as I did this a month ago. Each voltage output has the same color of wire . Now your probably noticing that theres another smaller wire of the same color coming from a different place on the board of the PS. Well that wire is simply a voltage sensing wire. All you need to do is connect that with the rest of the wires of the same color.
What your power supply is doing is turning on then off because the sense wire is detecting no volts. Some power supplies may only have one sensing wire for a particular output, mine had one for each different output.

Either that is your problem or your placing no load on the PSU. switching power supplies need a load, however small. Oh and one more thing that I nearly learned the hard way!!! If your power supply has two big heat sinks, don't touch them, or at least don't bridge the gap between them with your fingers. My hand got REALLY tingly before I made that mistake and quickly realised what I nearly done!

AndyT
10-24-2008, 10:02 PM
I have the sandbar resistor in place for the load. Not sure about the sensing wires. I'll check that.

WJH308
10-24-2008, 10:07 PM
take a picture of your PS opened up, I'll see if I can spot it for you.