PDA

View Full Version : Gonna build a simpit

pilot7893
10-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Here goes. I'm planning to use it with mainly with Orbiter
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Using the panel configuration of the Delta Glider IV
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=dgIV
Of course, it's gonna make external view a little awkward.
BTW, this is my first post on the new forum!

Matt Olieman
10-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Welcome aboard, you're at the right place. Plenty of answers here already and if you can't find them, just ask :) :)

Glad to have you join in with our madness :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

Michael Carter
10-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'd be interested in seeing a STS cockpit.

pilot7893
10-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'd be interested in seeing a STS cockpit.

If you can afford such a thing, go for it:)
I'm gonna stick to the simple(ish) Delta Glider

Michael Carter
10-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Thank you, no. I have enough on my plate just trying to build a 727.

But an STS simulator by a big bucks guy with a lot of time on his hands would be interesting to see. As long as he had a genuine interest in the subject rather than a carnival ride atitude.

I never studied orbital mechanics, but I've read some about it. Way over my head with only a rudementary understanding. I would think any orbiter program would have to have a very sophisticated FMC and pre-loaded programs to support the mission.

BHawthorne
10-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Orbitor has some pretty cool MFD and HUD add-ons. I'm looking to use Orb Connect or OUIPC to interface Orbitor with my SpaceShipOne build.

A bunch of mods are at: http://www.orbithangar.com/

AndyT
10-19-2008, 01:35 AM
The orbiter software itself is pretty accurate. by using add-ons, you can build a STS sim thats probably 80 percent or better.

pilot7893
10-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Glad to have you join in with our madness :) :) :)

I'm even more glad to join in with your SPARTA!!
sorry, couldn't resist;)

BHawthorne
10-19-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm even more glad to join in with your SPARTA!!
sorry, couldn't resist;)

*snickers*

BlackWidow
10-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Out of curiosity does Orbiter have a similar type software as FSUIPC or WideFS. What i mean is there glass cockpits for orbiter that can be run on a second or even third computer?

I work at AFRL near Edwards AFB and bieng a Fabricator I have access to the Shuttle mock up that is used byt the rescue personel to train. This is a full scale version of just the upper and lower decks of the cockpit area. It is really cool to sit in it and fly......ahhhh.....i mean work. LOL

BHawthorne
10-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Out of curiosity does Orbiter have a similar type software as FSUIPC or WideFS. What i mean is there glass cockpits for orbiter that can be run on a second or even third computer?

I work at AFRL near Edwards AFB and bieng a Fabricator I have access to the Shuttle mock up that is used byt the rescue personel to train. This is a full scale version of just the upper and lower decks of the cockpit area. It is really cool to sit in it and fly......ahhhh.....i mean work. LOL

Wow, cool workplace. I wish I had something cool like that at work. Would be interesting to see what they do with the mockup come 2010 when the shuttle program is mothballed. A little forethought and someone could get a killer Orbiter simpit once it's surplused. It's always good to dream big. :)

Orbiter has OUIPC and something in alpha right now called Orb Connect that is based on OUIPC. Orbiter Visualization Project is the 3D engine part of Orbiter and it's open source. That means if you're a programmer there are lots of options open if you're willing to experiment. The default art is sort of lacking for Orbiter, but that can be fixed with some high-res add-ons.

BlackWidow
10-20-2008, 09:28 PM
LOL

When i was working on the new handrail for the Aft part of the trailer that holds the moch up I was trying to imagine how i would get it into my back yard. With the trailer and mock up I would say (from memory) it stands about 25ft high and at least 15ft wide. In the lower section of the cockpit I can stand upright and my head is still about 12 inches from the floor of the upper cockpit (im 6ft 1in). I wish i could take pics of it but that is a big no no.