PDA

View Full Version : Newb looking for HELP!

okrawinkel
09-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Hello All,

I am interested in beginning my journey into the wonderful world of cockpit building. I am leaning toward a320 or some type of regional jet. My budget is small and I am definately planning on this to take years to have completed. I am a build from the ground up kind of guy so I am interested in starting with the floor, shell, then building everything else to fit inside. Where can I find the dimensions in easy terms or would anyone have any data, drawings, to start my floor/shell for either type of aircraft. Any help would greatly be appreciated.....I look forward to speaking with all you on this wonderful journey.

Thanks,

Olaf

TasKiNG
09-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi Olaf,

Not sure about floor/ shell dimensions but here is a great site for A320 cockpit intrument measurments http://www.simpit.de/a320dim/page_01.htm

Cheers

okrawinkel
09-30-2008, 07:37 PM
thanks for the information Dave. Another question is does anyone share their own build dimensions? I can see everyone takes huge pride in building one of these but has anyone simplified it down to a tutorial and measurements. I am confused because I have seen some really amazing highly authentic cockpits, it seems like there is an unwritten rule not to share to much data. Sorry for all the questions... Also on another note is a 737 easier to build than an a320?

TasKiNG
09-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Have you had a look around the forum to find any other A320 builders. I'm sure that if you sent them a private message they would be glad to share some dimensions with you.

I too have only just started a cockpit and have no experience of 737 or a320 cockpit building so cannot answer which is the easiest to build.
I am building a Learjet 45 cockpit as it is much simpler and should cost a lot less so if you are on a tight budget it may be worth considering something smaller.
I found quite a bit of information in the Download Library. I think there is some 737 info in there.

Cheers

skywatch
10-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Okra,

I had the same problem deciding which to build and went in the end with the A320 (still researching it an just made a prototype gear mechanism).

It is easier as there are no motorised auto throttles in the A320. This saves a lot of work and interfacing. Three monitors will do the majority of the flight displays too...

Like you I am stuck for dimensions etc but am finding some info trawling the net.

It's obviously not going to be easy and if you do find any info then please let us all know! ;-)

Also, check out the forum here with dodiano, it's a god resource for airbus info, but there's still a lot to find out. I understand that many people simply guess from scaling off of photo's.

Skywatch

Michael Carter
10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
That's what I did for a lot of my build until Joe started helping me a bit with some measurements. Unfortunately, after most of the build was complete.

If you have at least one solid dimension or one real piece of the aircraft, you can often extrapolate a good bit of the rest of the measurements.

I did this with much of my cockpit starting with the overhead. Once I had one real module I new how wide and how tall the overhead was supposed to be within an inch or so. Same with the control stand.

okrawinkel
10-01-2008, 08:15 PM
I have been looking at some outside websites to find panels. Looking at starting this project does everyone think ordering a set or glare, and pedastal panels is the right way to start? Using logic these would almost dictate the build depending on dimensions for the glare and pedestal panels. Could anyone recommend what panels that they have used and purchased thru a reputable company? Also some that are reasonably priced. I am almost locked on 737, I would love to build a CRJ or ERJ but the info is sketchy and parts seem hard to find. If anyone could find any regional jet panels or info they will definately sway my decision to a regional jet.....Thanks again everyone!

skywatch
10-02-2008, 03:18 AM
That's what I did for a lot of my build until Joe started helping me a bit with some measurements. Unfortunately, after most of the build was complete.

Would you be kind enough to post the measurements you do have? It might save a lot of people some trouble later on, as you experienced yourself.

Slywatch

Michael Carter
10-02-2008, 12:04 PM
I have a 727. Most dimensions for the 727 are irrelevant for another type unless you are building a 737-200/300.

But...the overhead is 26" wide by 28" tall. The control stand aft of the throttles is 16-3/4" by 12-1/4"

The instrument panel as far as the right edge of the landing gear panel is 39-3/16". If I had the right side of the instrument panel, it would measure 21" exactly. Or a total of 5'-0". The 3/16" accounts for space between all of the instrument panel sections. Depending upon the model and year of manufacture, the instrument panel could be in 10 separate panels, or eight separate panels.

The forward RT box is 18" wide by 12" tall. And that is about 2" too tall. It should be around 10".