PDA

View Full Version : Strange touchscreen behaviour

Paul G
09-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Hello all,

I've added a 10" touchscreen that I intend to use for FMC / GPS. I've mounted it vertically and used the graphic card software to rotate the display so Windows sees it as a portrait display.

The touchscreen driver software does have a 'support rotation' option which is selected. Setting up in FSX I get a nice portrait screen to use. However when clicking buttons on the screen the touch area appears not to have been rotated, so practically impossible to use as a touchscreen in this format.

Anyone have such problems with touchscreens or recommend a solution. I'm going to look for a new driver although not sure if I have to use a specific one. I'm also going to check if this behaviour is replicated in Windows. If it is not, then the problem perhaps is with FSX, but it's accurately rotated the display so no reason to believe that it's messing up the touch screen behaviour.

Paul

mlscotti
09-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Yikes, that sucks.. Have you tried any other programs with it rotated. That should eliminate whether is MSFS or your driver... What kind of 10" touchscreen did you got with, i'm thinking of trying that for my flight computer also.

rt72
09-16-2008, 09:18 AM
I was using the TouchKit driver (I think that's what it was called). Just Google it. Anyway. I had the screen rotated using the Nvidia drivers and also tested Pivot rotation software and the touchscreen worked fine using both. I was trying to use FsWidgets E-Flight Bag. Unfortunately I scrapped the idea for now since I couldn't get the program to stay on the right monitor...

warvet
09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey Paul and guys,
Heres something you should most definitely look into without a doubt. I played with it, its FANTASTIC! http://www.chproducts.com/retail/mfp.html Paul you can pick it up over here by my place Aviation World, by South terminal on Russ Baker. Talk soon
Tim

Paul G
09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
What kind of 10" touchscreen did you got with

Haha now that's going to be difficult to tell you as the one I have is unmarked, but bought from ebay. I just had a quick look however, and visually it's identical to this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/10-4-TFT-LCD-Touch-Screen-Monitor-for-Car-PC-POS-U5_W0QQitemZ370084802740QQihZ024QQcategoryZ29501QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting) but this is not who I bought it from.

Screen is reasonable quality and about minimum size for using as touch control for panels. Also it uses power adaptor so unit is relatively light and its power cable is thin which is important for cockpit inclusion.

Paul

Paul G
09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey Paul and guys,
Heres something you should most definitely look into without a doubt. I played with it, its FANTASTIC! http://www.chproducts.com/retail/mfp.html Paul you can pick it up over here by my place Aviation World, by South terminal on Russ Baker. Talk soon
Tim

Thanks Tim. I completely forgot about that product which I think you mentioned some time ago when I was at your place perhaps. It's a pretty cool product and nothing else like it for the money. What would be amazing is if the mounting sheet was also a screen and you could either configure one screen with multiple buttons around (like the G1000 arrangement), or multiple smaller screens (e.g. a radio stack on one side, a GPS on the other). Ok so I'm dreaming a little, but that really would be cool.

You say they have them in the pilot shop at YVR?

Paul

warvet
09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Ya Paul,
Aviation World on Russ Baker way, about 5 min past my place.

Tim

Trevor Hale
09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
And Tim's got the cold ones in the fridge. so we can stop in and have one on the way by :) *wink*

Paul G
09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Just looked up where I bought the touchscreen from. Ebay store is here (http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHK1040/new_104_Desktop_TFT_LCD_Monitor_w_Touch_Screen__VGA.html)

Price was good but I paid a lot of brokerage to the courier. Cannot remember which one but Canadians get really shafted over this. It's like the Mafia control US-Canada border or something. I paid nearly $300 including all taxes and base shipping was really low, so nearly $100 in brokerage and taxes.

andarlite
09-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Paul, I never order anything from the U.S. unless it can be shipped by US Postal..... no broker fees with them.

Regards,
Henry

NicD
09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Back to the first question...once you have rotated your display you need to go back into your touchkit software and recalibrate the touchscreen. Should be fine after that.

And, if you get an annoying egg-looking icon on your desktop that you can't get rid of... its a dumb utility that the software installs called 'xtouchmon.exe'. Just go into the program folder and rename it to 'xtouchmon.not' and it won't display on next boot, nor upset anything.

Paul G
09-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks Nic,

I already did that and I'm getting some more acceptable behaviour, though by no means perfect. Despite calibrating very finely I'm still getting quite an error, but the error is smaller than the hit zone for buttons etc so not completely frustrating.

I found in FSX that the sensitivity started well but there appeared to be some drift after a while. Not sure whether I was seeing things but certainly 'became' more difficult to use.

Paul

HansJansen
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Paul,

After setting the screen up in Windows, did you calibrate the touch screen part of it in the TouchKit software (i.e. in Windows, before ever going into FSX)? I have a similar setup and never had any problem with it...