PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard emulation

manhattan
09-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I am re-building my sim, and currently use Hagstrom's KE 72 keyboard emulator - but wondered if there is another similar product on the market?

Any idea's anybody?

TONY

JBaymore
09-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Tony,

I use two KE-72s in my pit. They are great.... and to my knowledge there is not another equavalent that has the same features. They have added a new unit that is the KE108 and usb.

http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/products/ke_usb108.html

best,

.................john

XOrionFE
09-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I use the KE108. Works great

brianwilliamson
09-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I use 4 of these USB keys from IO cockpits and are equally as good but a little cheaper:
http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/usbkeys-card-p-53.html
Cheers...............Brian W.

JBaymore
09-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I use 4 of these USB keys from IO cockpits and are equally as good but a little cheaper:
http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/usbkeys-card-p-53.html
Cheers...............Brian W.

Cheaper yes, but I personally don't think they offer the same features.

First of all the docs say "matrixed". The KE-72 and KE109 are not. All are discrete inputs..... which prevent ghosting issues in certain circumstances.

Plus the Hagstrom software seems to provide more complex options and (on the very subjective side) an easier programming language.

best,

.................john

Paul G
09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Quick question to any Hagstrom owners and keyboard emulators. I was always under the impression that you can only have ONE as adding an additional 72 input unit (for example) would just double up (like adding an additional keyboard). is this NOT the case? If you have 2 x 72 input units can you assign 144 unique inputs?

Thank you for any help.

Paul

andarlite
09-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Quick question to any Hagstrom owners and keyboard emulators. I was always under the impression that you can only have ONE as adding an additional 72 input unit (for example) would just double up (like adding an additional keyboard). is this NOT the case? If you have 2 x 72 input units can you assign 144 unique inputs?

Thank you for any help.

Paul

Paul, you can connect two KE72 together to one computer. With the KE72, you are not just limited to just a single key character for each input, but up to a 32 character macro. So, there's quite a few possibilities.

Regards,
Henry

Paul G
09-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the response Henry. Quite useful then eh? Does this mean that keys assigned with this can be programmed with FSUIPC? I'm guessing so as it's a keyboard emulator, right?

Just another question about keyboard emulation. If I program the functions of something like this, does this mean that a keyboard plugged into the same computer can also be programmed via FSX in the usual way?

Paul

JBaymore
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Paul,

The possibilities of programming with the combination of a Hagstrom keyboard encoder and FSUIPC are almost endless. You can get the Hagstrom to send anything from a single keystroke to a macro of complex Shift+CNTRL combo keystrokes... including putting variable length pauses between sent keys. Different stuff on make from that sent on break. VERY flexible options.

Then using FSUIPC, you can convert the Hagstrom keysends to other stuff if you need to... like putting values in offsets, converting the output to a joystick button press, activating internal FS control values, activation of "mouse macros" you build yourself to access a panel function that doesn't have a keypress access, and so on.

best,

.....................john

Kris Stow
11-17-2008, 01:13 AM
After reading this it has inspired me to use this idea as my EFIS controls for my PMRJ software. Does the KE come with its own software to program the marcos and such?

Do any of you guys use the keyboard emulators on your client machines for your GC controls (Weather, Terrain, Range) and/or PMsystem controls?

XOrionFE
11-17-2008, 08:40 AM
After reading this it has inspired me to use this idea as my EFIS controls for my PMRJ software. Does the KE come with its own software to program the marcos and such?

Do any of you guys use the keyboard emulators on your client machines for your GC controls (Weather, Terrain, Range) and/or PMsystem controls?

Kris,

I havent used on my client machine and last night I was fiddling around with some of the PMRJ commands to see what they did on my displays but seemed like not much. I was actually going to call you at some point to discuss what you have yours doing right now.

I can tell you that the KE108 that I have works awesome. The interface makes is extremely easy to do single strokes or macros with any combination of keystrokes including repeating or press and release commands. It is also extremely intuitive. I figured out how to use it in about 15 minutes without cracking the manual. I have never had an issue with it not sending a command nor has it ever hiccuped with my usb connections. I also use the two rotary inputs it has (was using with my GA pit for GPS dual rotary) but will now be using for the Lear. It definitely works well and keeps up with my turning like the GoFlight gear does and again was extremely easy to use. In addition, the KE108 has 3 analogue inputs for POTs which I am using for Yoke and Elev. Trim. Again, flawless.

Another thing I really like about Hagstrom is that I can setup all my inputs and then save to a file. I have one file for C172, another for Learjet, and yet another for LOMAC. I use a couple extra breakout boards connected to my military pit MFDs (which use 48 keys). When I feel like flying the LOMAC pit I simply disconnect 2 of the breakout boards from the KE108 ribbon cables (IDE cables) and connect the two for my MFDs to the board (no need to mess with indiividual wiring this way) and then I just load the LOMAC keystroke file for the 108 and write to the board. Thats it. If I want to go back to Lear then I just switch breakout board connections and reload the lear file I made. In this way, the possibilities are endless.

I just bought the Hagstrom Rotary-5 and I am going to use it for the Learjet FGC rotaries so I will know how well it works in a week or two. One thing to note on the rotary-5...you use it to connect your rotaries (up to 5) but then you connect from it to your emulator (the KE108 in my case) as if each was a key so for each rotary-5 you essentially will use up 10 key inputs on the KE108 or other board.

In short, I highly recommend them. Feel free to give me a call if you need more information of if you want me to try something with the PMRJ setup.

Scott

Kris Stow
11-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Scott after reading about how you have done yours it has defiantly lead me to get a couple. I think I will be needing one for each my Cap and F/O Client PC's.

Thanks Bud,