PDA

View Full Version : Loss of 'Select Flight' and 'Save Flight' MSFS

Tomlin
08-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi guys

Yesterday after flying from KCVG into KMDW, I was on short final for 31C at KMDW and all of a sudden my sim freezes up (on a brand new super duper PC that's running FS like a charm) and so I have to hit the reset button in order to get to the desktop (CRTL-ALT-DELETE didnt work).

So, I went in thinking that maybe my scenery and settings are still a bit too far to the right (all the way right) and maybe there was a memory leak or something, but then when I went to finally take advantage of 'Auto Save' .dll and chose 'Select Flight' my PC locked up again. And again. And again. All this after closing FS each and every time. Also, I noticed this happens exactly the same after trying to 'Save Flight' and so I went into my Modules folder and deleted 'Autosave.dll' and tried again...and again...you get the point. I also in the midst of all this deleted my fs9.cfg and it's still hanging on 'Select Flight' and 'Save Flight'.

Any ideas? Oh, how I hate the idea of reinstalling FS now...but at least it's a new system and I have all the old files transferred now. I just dread re-confirming all the product keys and all that stuff..

Thanks for the ideas.

vpilot
08-18-2008, 09:06 AM
What does the Event Viewer have to say?

Tomlin
08-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Never used it and dont know where it is or how to take advantage of it :-/

mauriceb
08-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Eric,

You may want to download free memory & CPU diags and run them first before doing anything else. When I built my new PC, everything seemed to work OK but I had unexplained 'events' & crashes now & then. I ran memory diags and found I was losing a bit in one of the modules, and that was an expensive memory module. I would have thought that nothing would or should have worked but strangely enough, it only seemed to affect FSX.

Anyway, probably a long shot but worth trying.

Maurice

mauriceb
08-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Never used it and dont know where it is or how to take advantage of it :-/

Right click on My Computer & select 'Manage'. You will see an entry for event viewer and you can look at Application events & System events for errors. If you find some, you can at times submit them to Mictrosoft directly and you sometimes get an answer right away if this is a known problem like a bad device driver for instance.

Maurice

alaxus
08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Pc's with lots of memory may not show up problems until windows tries to write to a higher memory address, in some cases this could take months to show itself.

To test you memory use this app
http://www.memtest.org/

Download the iso burn it cd and boot to it.
If you have a large amount of memory it may take a few hours. Best to run it over night.

On the FS issue sounds like you have corrupted a dll file, which can happen on occasion when Fs crashes.

Tomlin
08-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Well, I only have 2 gigs of physical RAM if that's what is in question but it is sounding like the simplest way to resolve in the long run is to just uninstall FS9 and reinstall...

I wonder if it was during a saving via 'FS AutoSave' and that's when the file became corrupted.

alaxus
08-18-2008, 10:10 AM
I wonder if it was during a saving via 'FS AutoSave' and that's when the file became corrupted.

Possible, could be anything, I had a issue where something was corrupting my log book.

What OS are you using?

Tomlin
08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Im using XP Home

vpilot
08-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Possible, could be anything, I had a issue where something was corrupting my log book.

What OS are you using?

I've had the issue of corrupted logbooks, along with computer lockups and even not booting up... turned out to be a corrupt swapfile.

Anyway, Eric, if you could post some of the error messages you can find in your Event Viewer (look in Application and System, at the times you experienced the lockups). I'm curious what is causing your problems.

Regards,

Sander

Tomlin
08-18-2008, 01:24 PM
I had a look at the files at lunch and I am unable at this time to determine if there is any info there that would give us a clue.

I flew a few touch n goes at KMDW and the sim works great, just cannot save a flight and all of my previously saved flights are now not available as the sim locks up.

Tonight I will uninstall FS and reinstall. Im guessing I will have to reinstall all those addons....wow. At least they are now on this new HD and I dont have to transfer or re-download everything!

Thanks guys- I really appreciate this community thanks to Matt and all the others who provide us this great place to hash out our sim issues!

Tomlin
08-18-2008, 11:05 PM
What does a person have to do to get FS9 fully UNInstalled?

I still have the same exact problem after uninstalling FS9 and restarting my machine and reinstalling. In fact before I reinstalled, I noticed in Windows Explorer that all the file were still there for FS9.

What's the best way to do this where it's a real re-install?

alaxus
08-19-2008, 05:09 AM
What does a person have to do to get FS9 fully UNInstalled?

I still have the same exact problem after uninstalling FS9 and restarting my machine and reinstalling. In fact before I reinstalled, I noticed in Windows Explorer that all the file were still there for FS9.

What's the best way to do this where it's a real re-install?

Most add-ons and user created files will not get uninstalled by the FS9 uninstaller. You will have to manually delete these files / directories yourself.

Just on a side note I found that the newer nvidia cards have a override feature in the control panel to override the programs in built graphic settings. I have found if you set this to aggressively it causes the said issues you are having.
Check to make sure those settings are not to aggressive.

Tomlin
08-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Okay, I got it out. Dummy me (it was 1 am though) didnt check the box 'remove user and created files' and so when I reinstalled nothing really changed.

However, it's a brand new install and I have nearly all the addons nearly all reinstalled and it's working just fine.

I will remember that comment about the aggressive settings. I had nhancer but Im not sure it was actually running like I wanted it to, but I really think it was FS AutoSave for several reasons, and I hate that because it's a wonderful utility.

The reason I think it was FS AutoSave was because

1) I had the PC lock up before in FS for no apparent reason- there were no other conflicts ever before and this was shortly after I installed FS AS, and the scenery where I was at was not super detailed. However, it didnt totally take away my ability to select flights or save them.

2) The 2nd time the PC locked up on approach to FlyTampa KMDW and after that I had my just solved issue- no access to Saving Flights or to Select a Flight without FS9 locking up.

However, it naturally could be lots of other things so maybe in time I will see what happens and reinstall FS AS.

Thanks for all your suggestions to everyone.

alaxus
08-19-2008, 10:30 AM
O

2) The 2nd time the PC locked up on approach to FlyTampa KMDW and after that I had my just solved issue- no access to Saving Flights or to Select a Flight without FS9 locking up.

However, it naturally could be lots of other things so maybe in time I will see what happens and reinstall FS AS.

Thanks for all your suggestions to everyone.

Fly Tampa scenery had some issues around the Chicago area which caused the pc to crash.
http://www.flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2029

after you reinstall FS dont forget to install the 9.1 update as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=92CF4B8C-EA69-476B-A276-618C4AB52AAF&displaylang=en