PDA

View Full Version : PMDG744 integration

kand
08-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi

In a nutshell can the PMDG 744 integrate with PM software? I dont own PM stuff but would like to use their screens with the PMDG logic, is this possible, I am guessing not

regs

michelmvd
08-03-2008, 08:15 AM
In one word - negative, not at all.
As PMDG wanted to include all correct logics in their product, they completely rewrote the sim. PMDG B744 is on own program inside FS, which is used mainly for the enviroment and weather.
Even the flightdynamics are completely changed comparing to stock aircraft and the airfile can't be used outside the PMDG.

B. Rgds
Michel

kand
08-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Ok thanks for the info, I simply cannot justify the price of PMs software, its fantastic but too pricey for me. I was hoping to just buy the glass cockpit and use the PMDG to control it but that was probably a bit naive! I will have to go down the route of breaking the PMDG out on multi monitors

regs

Michael Carter
08-04-2008, 09:20 AM
FS Panel Studio is a lot cheaper and you get to use any gauge or display you like.

Ray Proudfoot
10-15-2008, 05:15 PM
In one word - negative, not at all.
As PMDG wanted to include all correct logics in their product, they completely rewrote the sim. PMDG B744 is on own program inside FS, which is used mainly for the enviroment and weather.
Even the flightdynamics are completely changed comparing to stock aircraft and the airfile can't be used outside the PMDG.

B. Rgds
Michel

Hi Michel,

I've just come across this thread having ordered the PMDG747-400 earlier this evening.

I successfully fly the PMDG737 series using PM software. I don't use any of the PMDG panels or its CDU/MCP. It seems strange that the 737 can integrate with PM but not the 747.

So if I load the 747 without any panel loaded you're saying the aircraft could not be controlled by the PM CDU/MCP?

If that's definitely the case then providing I don't open the packaging I can return it for a refund. How disappointing. :(

Bob Reed
10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
That is correct. If you try and remove the panels in the 747, the plane is not flyable. You can not modify it the way you can the 737 to use PM...

Ray Proudfoot
10-15-2008, 05:50 PM
That is correct. If you try and remove the panels in the 747, the plane is not flyable. You can not modify it the way you can the 737 to use PM...

Thanks Bob. I couldn't cancel the order before it's despatched but if I return it unopened I'll get a refund. You'd think that with such a wonderful aircraft they'd have been happy to work with PM.

Does the LDS767 work okay? If so I might consider that instead.

Bob Reed
10-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I can not speak for that AC as I have never tried it.

Ray Proudfoot
10-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Okay, thanks Bob. Perhaps someone who does have it could comment.

dnoize
10-16-2008, 08:09 AM
You'd think that with such a wonderful aircraft they'd have been happy to work with PM.

well maybe not, since the PMDG 747 logics are far (FAR) better than the 747 logics from PM

Does the LDS767 work okay? If so I might consider that instead.

why would you want to use level-D with PM ?
Again, the Level-D's logics for the 767 are far more acurate than PM. With Level-D's SDK and Nico Kaan's Leeksecon you can interface all essential systems of the level-d 767, you can undock the screens and use them on a multi-monitor system.

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE PM, but for the 737 !

Unfortunately you cant use the PMDG 747 for a fully interfaced flightdeck and you cant combine PMDG's perfect logics with PM's glass screens, but in case of the level-D 767 you CAN fully interface and you DONT need PM.

Stef

jb747
10-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Ray,

I don't know what hardware you have working with PM, but...

CPFlight MCP and MCPPro Drivers Released - Saturday, October 04, 2008
We are very excited to announce the release of two new driver interfaces for our customers.

The CPFlight MCP and MCPPro (with optional EFIS, radio stack, transponder and MIP panel modules) have won accolades with several hundred (if not thousand) flight sim enthusiasts and cockpit builders alike. Up to now, compatibility with PMDG aircraft addon products has been lackluster, and only via the use of mouse emulation and keyboard commands.

As such, we are happy to provide owners of CPFlight hardware a specialized driver to interface their units with the FS2004 PMDG line of products (737NG as well as 747-400 family), but also another driver to work with the 747-400X Queen of the Skies for Flight Simulator X.

Purchaser must already own and have installed CPFlight MCP or MCPPro modules, with optional components, in order to use these drivers.

For more information, click on the Interfaces menu. For the FS2004 version, go directly to the driver page here and for the FSX product, click here.

FlyEngravity CDU Driver Released - Friday, August 29, 2008
Today we officially announced our latest specialized driver application, this time to provide an interface between Engravity hardware and Flight Simulator software.

This specific interface allows owners of Engravity's 737 and 747 CDU hardware to interface their CDUs with the PMDG 747-400X Queen of the Skies for Flight Simulator X. Purchaser must already own and have installed an Engravity 747-400 or 737 CDU in order to use this driver. Requires that the user also have installed the PMDG 747-400X for FSX line of products, along with the latest Service pack.

http://www.flightsimlabs.com/

Cheers,

Jon

Ray Proudfoot
10-16-2008, 12:09 PM
why would you want to use level-D with PM ?

Stef,

I don't particularly want to use the Level-D. I'm just looking for a 767 with a good air file and the independents seem to have them.

Can you recommend an alternative? Or are you saying that PM's Boeing Suite can only be used with the 737 and no other Boeings? I would find that strange.

I don't have a cockpit like some of you have. I just like a change of aircraft occasionally.

Ray Proudfoot
10-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Jon,

I use the Aerosoft MCP747. It's served me well for about 5 years now. I also have several GoFlight modules. Mine is not a proper cockpit - just a collection of various bits but they all work together. :D

I'm aware that there are drivers available for certain hardware to be used with the PMDG but I'm looking to interface through PM. It seems that is not possible because of PMDG policy of keeping their interface code secret. :?

No matter. I'll stick with my 737 for now and try any recommended freeware Boeings that have decent air files assuming they're compatible with PM.

dnoize
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Stef,

I don't particularly want to use the Level-D. I'm just looking for a 767 with a good air file and the independents seem to have them.

Can you recommend an alternative? Or are you saying that PM's Boeing Suite can only be used with the 737 and no other Boeings? I would find that strange.

I don't have a cockpit like some of you have. I just like a change of aircraft occasionally.

You can use PM for the bigger boeings too...but the logics for the 747/767/777 are less developed (overhead, eicas, etc) than of the 737.

PM has allways primairily focussed on the 737

In case of the pmdg 747 its not a matter of wanting to keep the offsets secret. As Michel mentioned earlier in this thread, the 747 is a complete program within FS(X).

All logics, including the autopilot are programmed by PMDG. Basically the PMDG 747 only uses FS for the visuals.

Project Magenta is heavily dependent on the FS autopilot. Since PMDG 747 doesnt use the FS autopilot logics it cant be used with PM.

(unlike the PMDG 737)

You say you dont want to build a full flightdeck, then why not use the level-D 767 ?
It can be interfaced in a very high grade.
Take a look here: http://www.lekseecon.nl/

Nico specializes in interfacing the level-d 767 to a very high extent.

If you dont have a PM licence yet, i would take a look at this. PM seems a bit of a overkill for your purpose.

If you allready have a PM licence, well......then i'd suggest to switch to a 737 ;-)

Stef

Ray Proudfoot
10-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Stef,

Nico's setup is very impressive but far beyond what I could do or even desire to do. I do have the PM Boeing Suite. I bought it about 5 years ago so I'm well versed in using it.

I don't have PM Systems - just the Boeing Suite but that's fine for my needs.

I appreciate PM is angled towards the 737 but with the right configuration files it can also support the other aircraft in the fleet. Sadly, no-one seems to have provided those files for many years. Perhaps people don't believe the MelJet or Posky fleet are worthy contenders? I have dabbled with a 777 but the aircraft textures were very slow to load.

Not to worry. I'm quite happy with the PMDG737. I just hankered after something different. If that means sacrificing functionality then so be it. I'll just have to get back into Concorde and leave you all standing! :mrgreen:

brynjames
10-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I have dabbled with a 777 but the aircraft textures were very slow to load.

If you do feel like the 777 you might like to look at the new very reasonably priced software package from www.sim-avionics.com as an alternative to PM.

--
Bryn

Ray Proudfoot
10-18-2008, 01:21 PM
If you do feel like the 777 you might like to look at the new very reasonably priced software package from www.sim-avionics.com (http://www.sim-avionics.com) as an alternative to PM.

--
Bryn

Hi Bryn,

I need to find a decent 777 first. But having said that I have no desire to move away from PM which is a first-class system.

I'm not desperate to switch away from the PMDG737 but occasionally it would be nice to fly something a bit larger and given the flexibility of PM's aircraft config files it shouldn't be difficult.

MelJet seems to have fallen by the wayside. Heck, I might even try the default 777. I think FS9 has one.

Thunder175
10-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi Bryn,

I need to find a decent 777 first. But having said that I have no desire to move away from PM which is a first-class system.

I'm not desperate to switch away from the PMDG737 but occasionally it would be nice to fly something a bit larger and given the flexibility of PM's aircraft config files it shouldn't be difficult.

MelJet seems to have fallen by the wayside. Heck, I might even try the default 777. I think FS9 has one.

Project Opensky's 777 is excellent. You may want to check them out: http://projectopensky.com/downloads-index.php

Ray Proudfoot
10-19-2008, 04:28 AM
Thanks Thunder. Downloaded the 777-200 and currently enroute EGLL-FAJS. Looking good so far. :D

Thunder175
10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
No problem Ray. I hope it works out for you. I find myself switching between the various Boeing airframes as well since I have a more generic desktop setup. The trick is finding decent PM CDU aircraft files, or at least finding the info to make your own. ;)

Ray Proudfoot
10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
No problem Ray. I hope it works out for you. I find myself switching between the various Boeing airframes as well since I have a more generic desktop setup. The trick is finding decent PM CDU aircraft files, or at least finding the info to make your own. ;)

Hi Thunder,

I've just completed Heathrow-Dubai in the 777-200ER. Apart from having an excess of 60K lbs of fuel on landing it went pretty well and I was pleased with my manual landing. I'm used to the 737-900 and Concorde.

I could do with finding a tutorial on those aircraft config files. The distance is 3100 miles and I used 60000lbs of fuel. Because of the excess on landing that should be closer to 50000lbs or so perhaps.

I've searched in vain for a decent fuel calculator. The only one I can find is that provided with the premium version of vRoute. If there aren't any others I may subscribe to them. I get many of my routes from them anyway and it's a way of repaying that service.

brynjames
10-19-2008, 02:01 PM
I've searched in vain for a decent fuel calculator.

FSBuild?

--
Bryn

Ray Proudfoot
10-19-2008, 04:32 PM
FSBuild?

--
Bryn

I know many people use it but I've never warmed to it. I use FS Flight Keeper and a few flights, logging all the fuel used should allow me to make an educated guess as to how much to load.

I created a Concorde fuel calculator using the same principle.