PDA

View Full Version : Display problem

ivar hestnes
07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Help please;)

Yesterday I had a flight with all new PM updates installed and latest Nav-data. No problems at all during the flight.

But today it is not that good. I cant get the displays working properly.

Have never seen the pfd/nd like this before in PM. Same thing on both sides.

Any one have a idea of what could be wrong? ( I am not an aircraft genious to have that said;)).

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/vrinsk/IMG_1147.jpg

Melnato
07-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Ivar,

I think the CDU doesn't know where it is, ie. the position airport/co-ordinates
aren't set. Has happened to me a few times...it was a net dir communication problem...

Nat

mauriceb
07-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Ivar,

If you loaded the new PM Systems & enabled the aft overhead, you have to turn the IRS on. That will solve that problem as I found out the hard way myself after wasting a couple of hours :D

Maurice

Melnato
07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Nice one Mau,

Just about to download those PM updates...thanks.

Nat

Jackpilot
07-20-2008, 09:01 PM
The moment you enter the aircraft (airport) position in the CDU the display turns normal.
This is a standard feature of the NG telling you that the airplane does not know where he is.
Was in all previous builds.

mauriceb
07-20-2008, 09:34 PM
The moment you enter the aircraft (airport) position in the CDU the display turns normal.
This is a standard feature of the NG telling you that the airplane does not know where he is.

Yes it was Jack, but with the new PM Systems release, you have to turn the IRS to the Align position, otherwise the ND still shows MAP even if the CDU shows the current aircraft position.

Maurice

Jackpilot
07-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Wow...great
Who said somewhere else that the new builds were just a name change!!!
( I do not use PM Sys and will have a hard time replicating that one with my circuits logic !)
Thanks for the info Mau.

flightdeck
07-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I had the same problem today as reported by Ivar!
After several hours of trouble shooting I checked this thread got the right hint!
Thanks guys, you saved my day! :mrgreen:

Thomas Richter
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Ivar,

If you loaded the new PM Systems & enabled the aft overhead, you have to turn the IRS on. That will solve that problem as I found out the hard way myself after wasting a couple of hours :D

Maurice

Hi

I thought it is not needed to describe the normal procedure because you would use normal checklists.
In any case bothe is needed
- position setting in CDU
- allign setting on AFT for one or both IRS selectors
If you select only one IRS selector to allign you need to check that the IRS source is selected to the correct IRS selector!

mauriceb
07-21-2008, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=Thomas Richter;61389]Hi

I thought it is not needed to describe the normal procedure because you would use normal checklists.
QUOTE]

Hi Thomas,

A bit of description would have been nice since very few of us are airline pilots familiar with all procedures, especially IRS issues which, up to now, was never included in PM Systems. But you are right, the fault is at least partly ours ;)

Having said that, I have now encountered a new problem which I'm sure is not included in normal checklists. Here is what is happening to me now:

I start FSX on main PC.

If I start PM systems cold & dark without Aft overhead, all is normal. PFDs/NDs turn off until battery power is turned on.

If I start PM systems cold & dark wit Aft Overhead, as soon as the PFD/ND etc go dark, the engines spool up immediately, the plane all of a sudden tries to take off, and I hear all kinds of warning sounds and even gear coming up.

Do you have any explanation for this? It almost seems that FSX is trying to re-position the plane wherever the IRS setting is pointing to, which of course does not make sense. I'm still trying to get more info about this and to find a workaround, but in the meantime, am I missing something else very basic here?

Thanks,
Maurice

Thomas Richter
07-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Having said that, I have now encountered a new problem which I'm sure is not included in normal checklists. Here is what is happening to me now:

I start FSX on main PC.

If I start PM systems cold & dark without Aft overhead, all is normal. PFDs/NDs turn off until battery power is turned on.

If I start PM systems cold & dark wit Aft Overhead, as soon as the PFD/ND etc go dark, the engines spool up immediately, the plane all of a sudden tries to take off, and I hear all kinds of warning sounds and even gear coming up.

Do you have any explanation for this? It almost seems that FSX is trying to re-position the plane wherever the IRS setting is pointing to, which of course does not make sense. I'm still trying to get more info about this and to find a workaround, but in the meantime, am I missing something else very basic here?

Thanks,
Maurice

No, never heard of this! Because neither pmSystems nor pmCDU set the position in FS, they just read the position.

1/ We use the basics of this logic file now more than one year in our SIM with no problems, but with FS9

2/ Because of too many problems with or in FSX we use FS9 for fliying only.

Did you try to start your configuration without e.g. pmSystems or the CDU to find which program is the problem?

mauriceb
07-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Did you try to start your configuration without e.g. pmSystems or the CDU to find which program is the problem?

I will be trying many more things soon ;). For now, this problem only happens if I start PM Sytems with the Aft overhead. Otherwise all is OK as it was before and no unapproved take-offs :-).

Maurice

ivar hestnes
07-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi Ivar,

Maurice

Of course I could not resist to turn on the AFT overhead:D And I read some in my Boeing manual yesterday about the things that can cause this display to show. But the IRS didnt even strike my mind;)

Now it is working properly. And big salute to PM that have added this realism into the software. Very much appreciated. No I just have to be patient and wait until the AFT panel and hardware show up in my mail:D

But one question more. When I turn the knobs to "align", it took only a second for the display to restore to normal. This should take 10 minutes right? Or do the displays act normal before the IRS is properly aligned?

Hi

In any case bothe is needed
- position setting in CDU
- allign setting on AFT for one or both IRS selectors
If you select only one IRS selector to allign you need to check that the IRS source is selected to the correct IRS selector!

Thank you very much for jumping in here. Your information is always very much appreciated:)

ivar hestnes
07-21-2008, 04:49 PM

I didnt know this. Thanks:)

I use the simplified pre-flight setup for the cdu since I bought the software. So I guess the simulated aircraft knows its position automatically then.

Will add the full pre-flight option at a later stage when the sim is more complete:)

Thomas Richter
07-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I will be trying many more things soon ;). For now, this problem only happens if I start PM Sytems with the Aft overhead. Otherwise all is OK as it was before and no unapproved take-offs :-).

Maurice

But may be there is a known FSX problem what you describe as repositioning.
In a saved cold and dark situation (I don't know what is the cause that it sometimes happens) FSX just crashes on startup because the Gear is up because of no power, why ever. In this case FSX just estarts the situation.
If you switch the Battery to ON the Gear goes down.
Just try with "Ignore Crashes" in FSX realism setting.

mauriceb
07-21-2008, 06:49 PM
But may be there is a known FSX problem what you describe as repositioning.
In a saved cold and dark situation (I don't know what is the cause that it sometimes happens) FSX just crashes on start-up because the Gear is up because of no power, why ever. In this case FSX just estarts the situation.
If you switch the Battery to ON the Gear goes down.
Just try with "Ignore Crashes" in FSX realism setting.

Well Thomas, I'm really 'beginning' to hate flight simulation and everything related to it. It should be called 'Homicidal Stimulation' instead because I have felt very homicidal towards my sim lately. :twisted: :???: :D

Anyway, we are getting closer to the cause of this latest challenge. There is one way I can get this thing to work properly and it seems to be related to battery power, but not as you described above.

I start FSX with engines off. All is well and the PFD/ND are turned on indicating there is power somewhere feeding them.

If I then start PM Systems cold & dark with aft overhead, after a short time plane wants to take off (as soon as PFD/ND display goes dark).

BUT, if I start PM Systems NOT cold & dark, nothing bad happens and after a minute or so, the PN/ND shows ATT on the display (it never turns off). If I then align the IRS, the ND goes back to normal and everything is OK. I can start the engines and all is well.

BUT AGAIN, if at anytime during this sequence, I try to turn the battery switch to On in PM Systems, then again plane tries to take off and there are all kinds of warnings that happen like too low gear when I'm still on the ground.

Anyway, this could well be FSX related but I'm quite disappointed you guys seem to have given up on FSX and doing all testing on FS9. :( . With all the grief I have had so far with FSX, I just can't go back now :???: . So I guess I'll have to take my lumps and keep on trucking, 'cause flying sure seems out of the question lately :D

Maurice