PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Resize any LCD Glass!!!!!

Philb737
07-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Another site added to my favorites:
Resized LCD Glass is being used to replace EL, PDP and CRT displays that are no longer available or are exorbitantly priced. SDI uses a proprietary process to cut LCD Glass for the avionics, vehicles, simulation display and associated industries. There is little or no change to the LCD's original performance and electrical interface. When you need a low cost solution to high priced LCD Glass, resizing LCD glass may be the answer. SDI can provide high quality COTS Glass, cut to fit your envelope with the resolution and viewing angles required to meet to-days demanding specifications. SDI has in-house clean room facilities with the technology, equipment and tooling to resize LCD Glass and has been successful in cutting LCD's in both the horizontal and vertical directions.
http://www.symbolicdisplays.com/LCD_glass.htmlhttp://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=825&stc=1&d=1215980135

Michael Carter
07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the post. I may need their services.

Trevor Hale
07-13-2008, 05:07 PM
My Favorite is the screen behind the standby instruments. But I bet it would cost a fortune.

Matt Olieman
07-13-2008, 05:09 PM
VERY interesting. Couldn't find any pricing.... that's always scary :) :) Any idea of pricing?

Matt Olieman

Michael Carter
07-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Most odd size LCD OEM panels are nearly $1K or more with the support electronics. If they say they can do it cheaper to resize a standard size panel, say 15" normal aspect ratio, if it were $800 or less with electronics, it would be a bargain...if they will work with an individual.

I'm needing a 12.1 widescreen, and I thought I was on to something with a California company, but I'm pretty sure they forgot all about my project the same as Trident in the UK did.

I'm not really sure how to convince these multi-million dollar companies that I'm serious about obtaining the LCD TFT panel that is needed for my project. I guess I have to be another multi-million dollar company to get their attention and order a hundred at a time.

As I said in a previous post, companies like this really irk me.

737NUT
07-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Why spend a 1K on an LCD display to show fake gauges when for less than that 1K you could have real or near real gauges!!??? Just curious, not trying to be an a$$. :)

Michael Carter
07-14-2008, 05:32 AM
What would you charge to work up 15 guages?