PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot question (immediately after take off)

darrens
04-10-2006, 03:44 AM
Hello.
Lately in my cockpit I have been taking off at an airport without a SID. It has meant that my procedure using the FCU is different. I am using Project Magenta's Airbus software. Here is my query:
I am on the ground and I select FD on the FCU. The Heading, Speed and V/S display all now show the dashes (Managed Mode). Is this supposed to happen at this stage? I ask because straight after take off I want to engage the autopilot but not in Managed Mode but Selected Mode as I want to make the turns as instructed by ATC (flying online with VATSIM). Do I pull the knobs on the ground (to go into Selected Mode) after pressing the FD? My thought is that when I have taken off, pressing the autopilot button will immediately know I want Selected Mode.
How does the procedure (systems) work?

I hope you understand my question! :)

All the best,

Darren

dodiano
04-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi Darren, let me try to answer this one for you:

>I am on the ground and I select FD on the FCU. The Heading, Speed and V/S display all now show the dashes (Managed >Mode). Is this supposed to happen at this stage?

Yes actually even though yo have a F-PN DISCONTINUITY the FMGC generates a Pseudo Way point which normally is the point where the airplane will ask you to make the thrust reduction that is set on the FMGC PERF page... So this is the reason why you will have it in dashes cause it is a managed mode...

>I ask because straight after take off I want to engage the autopilot but not in Managed Mode but Selected Mode as I want >to make the turns as instructed by ATC (flying online with VATSIM). Do I pull the knobs on the ground (to go into Selected >Mode) after pressing the FD?

Actually if for example the ATC instructs you TACA01 CLEAR FOR TAKEOFF, AFTER TKOFF TURN HEADING 300, then on the ground before takeoff you select the heading then after takeoff the plane will go to runway Trk then you will have to engage the autopilot and then HDG PULL or pull the heading Knob in order to turn! Also you donīt have to press the FD the FD is selected to ON during cockpit preparation so FD will always be ON!

Hope this makes it all clear for you if you have more questions donīt hesitate to ask!

Regards,

Roberto

Suggy
04-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Thank you.
:D
Darren