PDA

View Full Version : Throttle

cesarfsim
06-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi
Wich is the better choice for a throttle potentiometer 10 K or 100 K ?
thanks

Cesar

P1IC
06-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi
Wich is the better choice for a throttle potentiometer 10 K or 100 K ?
thanks

Cesar

Actually it depends on what the pot is attached to. For example, if you are using a PIC and converting A/D in there, then 10K is the max recommended. Other converters may not be so choosy, but I think you'd always be better off with less rather than more, so that the impedance of the circuit stays low, helping to combat stray pickup. High impedance circuits can be noisy.

Kennair
06-23-2008, 02:33 AM
Yes most interface boards seem to recommend 10K however it is only a recommendation. I use Opencockpit boards who also recommend 10K but have used 50 & 100K pots quite successfully. I'd probably stick with the manufacturers recommendation though. Thankfully most pots are cheap so you can experiment happily.

Ken.

cesarfsim
06-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks all help
I use UBS axis from Opencockpit, so I think 10 K would be better.

Cesar

percy
06-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I have the opencockpit analogue axes board, did any one have problems with getting the 24 buttons to work correctly, I have two and three lite up with only one button pushed.

Kennair
06-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Percy,

You need to install diodes on each of your switches to avoid reverse signals activating other switches when one is pressed. Search these forums as there was discussion and instructions not so long ago.

This multiple activation often occurs when you try to press and hold many joystick buttons at once. Most joystick controllers are designed for momentary activation only, not permanently ON, therefore you should avoid connecting toggle switches to them.

Ken.

percy
06-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Ken.
I have read the previous post and have tried the diodes, have even disconnected the wires but still get muilti switch inputs with one button. I was hoping for a magic ans. I think I have a diffective board, I have invested two days work trying to solve this so I am just going to wire up only eight switches.

enjoyed your videos, thanks for the reply

percy.

Kennair
06-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes Percy perhaps you do have a defective board. I also use the OC USB axis card and have no problem. Diodes installed and multiple buttons have no ill effect. If you have access to an EPROM writer you could try reinstalling the code into the controller. OC supply the code on their website. I blew my controller up while buggering around with things, so instead of purchasing a new card from Spain I bought a new chip for $2 AUD and had the guys at my work install the code. Worked like a charm!

Ken.

percy
06-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Great Idea, that may well have happen to me
thanks