PDA

View Full Version : Any news from Project Magenta?

dcutugno
06-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Very long time without any word from them, are they releasing any update? When?

If someone know please speak!!!

Best Regards,

hercules
06-20-2008, 12:56 PM
I think they have other priority! Maybe in prfeessional users?!
There are so many small/big bugs in PM that (imho) it would be possible to release at least 1 new update in the month.

Its not a good way to try to fix all bugs in one step and let the user wait for month with the result that many new bugs are build in, cause there was new pre-releases or betas.

Iam sad about this...

Thomas

Trevor Hale
06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Keep in mind guys, we use the same software that the Pro's have.

any updates they get we get. so if we aren't getting any, then neither are they.

Trev

Peter Nielsen
06-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Well guys,

No PR is worse than bad PR, as crazy as its sounds..

Silence and the Magenta team have gone very silent this last year is not good publicity.

I know we all support them, I definitely do as I have been a user since 2001 and do not need to see new releases every few weeks, but I do miss a regular update on what they are actually working on, that is if they are working on anything at all.. (see above.. NO PR even if bad can cause rumors to arise)

I am getting tons of mails each and every week from people who want to start building a pit and are asking me about PM, all I can do lately is to ask them to visit me to see the results, few do as it means they have to travel, whereas a few years back I would not have hesitated to recommend them sky high.

Lets see what happens, the current builds (737) work for me, but this is also the most developed suite of them all.

Peter Nielsen
VATSIM Europe Division Director
VATEUD1
www.vateud.org
www.vateud-td.org
55.000 members in Europe and counting

737NUT
06-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Keep in mind guys, we use the same software that the Pro's have.

any updates they get we get. so if we aren't getting any, then neither are they.

Trev

If thats the case then they will would or will be out of business soon!!!!! Come on Trevor, the pro's wouldn't have or use software that doesn't act like the real plane for training. I have seen, sat in, and played with a real NG cockpit. PM is a far cry from reality. Our version anyways. There are freeware versions now that as or more accurate out there. That my friend is the issue here. We paid good money for a this product and support has all but disappeared.

Ray Proudfoot
06-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Because the PM team have no obligation to reply to posts on this forum you're unlikely to hear from them.

However they do have an obligation to reply to posts to the support address. It seems to me that this is the only way people are going to have their concerns listened to and hopefully the bugs can be corrected.

I will write to them about the aircraft turning in towards a waypoint when within 8 miles. This happens in FSX but not FS9 with the same PMDG aircraft.

I would urge all of you with complaints to do the same. As much as we hope for PM to post here in reality it appears to be a pipe dream.

Trevor Hale
06-21-2008, 09:23 AM
If thats the case then they will would or will be out of business soon!!!!! Come on Trevor, the pro's wouldn't have or use software that doesn't act like the real plane for training. I have seen, sat in, and played with a real NG cockpit. PM is a far cry from reality. Our version anyways. There are freeware versions now that as or more accurate out there. That my friend is the issue here. We paid good money for a this product and support has all but disappeared.

Hey Rob,

LOL I think you may have misunderstood me before you jumped on top of me. (my wife is only supposed to do that) LOL Project Magenta "Professional Users" the ones with the Commercial license do USE THE SAME RELEASES we use. (Actually they are still using earlier more stable versions "Pre-navigraph days")

I am Sorry if you don't buy that, but the only benefit they get with the license is that they can use the software commercially and they get a different level of support.

Anyway, thats the information I have. If you have different information I would appreciate it, thats what I have been told many times from the PM Team.

Ray Proudfoot
06-21-2008, 09:42 AM
I wrote to PM support and have already had replies from Thomas and Jonathan. I'm using an old version of FSUIPC4 so once I have completed my current flight I will install 4.287 and see if that solves things.

If it doesn't then I'm sure PM will look into this.

06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi guys,

Been a PM user now for six years. I am using the 767 software. It is well behind the Airbus or NG development. Mind you PM did state that in the beginning. I recently mailed Enrico regarding a request for some changes/improvements in the 767 suite. He replied within an hour and told me it was something that could be done and its in his to do folder. I have found Enrico reliable to date. I understand peoples concerns especially when we all take into account the high cost of the software. But I do believe the wait will be worth it. I think Ray makes a valid point that peolple should voice in a reasonable manner to the PM team any concerns. Perhaps folks could start a thread listing bugs etc for the entire community to see. Then point the PM team to this thread. I have found that angry emails go unanswered.

James

David Withers
06-21-2008, 10:20 AM
a company removes its public forum that was a wealth of knowledge....and none of you even realise whats going on?

Ray Proudfoot
06-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I think Ray makes a valid point that peolple should voice in a reasonable manner to the PM team any concerns. Perhaps folks could start a thread listing bugs etc for the entire community to see. Then point the PM team to this thread. I have found that angry emails go unanswered.

James

Thanks James. That is an excellent suggestion. I will start a new thread and perhaps the mods could pin it. I'll start with the aircraft turning into waypoints problem in FSX.

Matt Olieman
06-21-2008, 10:43 AM
David, PM public forum was moved in it's entirety here. So the wealth of knowledge is here offered by PM, that tells me PM's commitment to us is still there.

This support forum is to help each other. If you've got a problem, write to PM support, they will answer you, but don't insult them by criticizing them, then they won't answer. Besides, they don't deserve it.

Regarding updates.... GEE how many updates and corrections do you get from MS FS in a year, and there team is comprised of how many?????? Let's see PM's team, 4 I think.

MS FS has sold millions of copies, PM sold.... how many in it's lifetime, and still provides free support and updates. If you bought a new upgrade to MS FS (go back to Sublogic days), how much would you have spent, and how much support have you received when you found a bug?

In my FS lifetime, I've seen FS-Ad-On software companies come and go because of the misunderstandings and highly criticism they've taken on and they finally said, this is not worth it. So they went away. I can give you quite a list, and some of you know who they are.

That's why I won't let it happen here!!!!

Matt Olieman

Joe Cygan
06-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I support Project Magenta 100% and have only very good things to say about them.

Whenever I needed computer codes or had questions PM has always gotten back with me immediately and it has always been that way, even before InnovativeFSP.

dcutugno
06-21-2008, 12:26 PM
In my FS lifetime, I've seen FS-Ad-On software companies come and go because of the misunderstandings and highly criticism they've taken on and they finally said, this is not worth it. So they went away. I can give you quite a list, and some of you know who they are.

That's why I won't let it happen here!!!!

Matt Olieman

One thing is for sure from my point of view and experience, if you brought Top quality software and have good support, that product will be stay ont top for years to come.

Two good examples on that:

Level-D 767
PMDG 737, 747

eudoniga
06-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks James. That is an excellent suggestion. I will start a new thread and perhaps the mods could pin it. I'll start with the aircraft turning into waypoints problem in FSX.

That's an excellent appendix to an already excellent idea !
Let's try to keep things sorted, though, otherwise we'll end up with a lot of confusion ... and the clever intuition behind the idea will sink.

IMHO&P, every single software module (GC, CDU, PMSystems, MCP, etc.) should deserve not only a thread of its own, but a forum subsection of its own, containing - thread by thread - the open issues found by users and related to that specific module.
One extra subsection could contain behavioral issues which are not clearly referred to one single module, until they can hopefully be diagnosed and moved to the right place ...

Therefore, threads related to duplicated issues could be removed, and those related to solved issues could be closed, in order to keep the section updated and reliable for all users ...

... and for the PM Team themselves, should they decide to favor - to some extent - this kind of relation with their faithful and beloved customers, without getting too many duplicated mails from those who didn't notice, by reading from the appropriate forum subsection:
- that the question has already been raised
- that an answer has already been given
- that the solution will be provided with the next s/w upgrade
- and so on ...

Those simmers who desperately need to contact support@projectmagenta.com could - nevertheless - be so kind to do some "copy and paste" here; and the PM Team themselves, who might need to save time, avoiding to answer to the "same old problem" once again, could do some copy and paste here, too ...

This could make the forum REALLY useful, much more than today, the right place to find and exchange precious info, rather than a mediatic loudspeaker for those who just want to blame someone or complain about something ...

Let's break the silence from/about Project Magenta, but in a positive and proactive way !!!

IMHO,
Eu

Tomlin
06-24-2008, 08:39 AM
I totally agree that we should make the effort here to make sub-forums for each of the PM software and list the issues and fixes for each set of software and above all, KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL. None of us fell off the turnip truck yesterday, but we all will not get anywhere with stacks of negative criticism either. Matt, can we do this?

ryanf
06-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Sorry if this was already suggested - but could we add "work-arounds" to these problem reports?

What I mean is that when reporting a problem, if anyone has found an operational procedure that avoids the faulty PM behaviour, while it may not be 100% realistic, it could still be far more desirable than not being able to use a particular function in the PM software at all.

An example might be as follows:

Problem: The PM Airbus FCU SRS mode does not always work correctly and the FD does not command a pitch to hold V2+10 on take-off.

Workaround: Do not use managed speed on take-off in the Airbus FCU but instead use selected speed set initially at V2+10 and then it can be manually increased to maneuvering speed etc.

/Ryan.

Trevor Hale
06-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I totally agree that we should make the effort here to make sub-forums for each of the PM software and list the issues and fixes for each set of software and above all, KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL. None of us fell off the turnip truck yesterday, but we all will not get anywhere with stacks of negative criticism either. Matt, can we do this?

DONE!

If you want anything else, Let me know.

Trev

Tomlin
06-24-2008, 11:58 AM
DONE!

If you want anything else, Let me know.

Trev

Thanks Trev! :-)