PDA

View Full Version : CDU SID/STAR filtering

hercules
05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Hello all,

iam just confused about the handling of the SIDS/STARS in the CDU.

As i remember, the cdu should only show me the corespondenting SID/STAR,
after selecting a runway?
When i select a rw in PM cdu, no Dep and/or Arv. are filtered. So i can select a wrong route for an runway.

Any ideas?

Regards

Thomas

Michael Carter
05-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Don't you have to put in the FAF (or first) fix for the procedure to get that to show up?

hercules
05-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Not sure that i understand what you mean. First off all what i do is to put in the Depature- and Destination-airport. After that i selcect the rw in use and the planned depature-route.

Why i should first put in the FAF? Another indication is, that the PMDG CDU does exactly what it describe..it filter the wrong routes after rw-selection.

Regards

Thomas

mauriceb
05-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Hello all,

As i remember, the cdu should only show me the corespondenting SID/STAR,
after selecting a runway?
Any ideas?

Regards

Thomas

Maybe I don't fully understand your question but what you say there is wrong as far I understand the CDU. The CDU will show you all the SID/STARs associated with one runway since it does not know what path you will necessarily choose for your departure or arrival.

There maybe a logical choice to take, but the CDU would not know for sure if you like the logical choice or not. So it shows you all possible choices and you select based on your flight path &/or on ATC instructions. I would not want it any other way since you would have no flexibility to choose and you would be bound by the CDU selection if it showed only the most logical choice. At least, that how I understand it :)

Maurice

sas550
05-02-2008, 07:07 PM
If I understand you right all sid/stars show up though you choosed a runway.

I think it has to do with fmc data. This happends to me on some aiports. I struggled alot with manually building sid/stars for Pm as well as Wilco and Pmdg a couple of years ago but I seem to remember that You have to state the corresponding rwy in the beginning of the sid/star text string. If not the sid/star will be selectable to all rwy's.

I'm not sure about PM but Wilco for instance are collected user made sid/stars, some of them lacks corresponding rwy's.

What airac are You using?

Don't know if this is of any help but it sure helped me through abit of my night shift. :) (Very boring tonight.) Monitor the eastern coast of Sweden as VTS operator for the Swedish maritme administration.

michelmvd
05-05-2008, 04:23 AM
As far I understand your question, I can say the following procedure is used to select a route in a Boeing aircraft.

First enter departure and destination airport (RTE page)
Go to the DEP/ARR page and select RWY (in B744 you can also select RWY in RTE-page)
Then all SID's connected to that RWY must be visual to select from. (no others)
Then continue in RTE-page to enter routing (Actually with the present PM-builds it is sometimes beter to use the legs-page, as otherwise some route -parts are missing when selecting a STAR)
Finally select a STAR in the DEP/ARR page

Hope this helps

Michel

warvet
05-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Yup pretty much same in Airbus FMGCS as well

Tim
A340

hercules
05-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Then all SID's connected to that RWY must be visual to select from. (no others)

Hy friends...
first of all sorry for my bad english. I hope you will understand what i mean.

Yes...michael...thats what i mean. I select the dep-rw and now there should only the stars for that rw listed, but often (when not ever) there are all stars shown.

The explanation with the SID/STAR source code seems a possible solution, but i use the actual cycle from Navigraph and i believe that data should be correct, or?

Regards

Thomas

sas550
05-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Could you please give some examples so that we can check if we experience the same?