PDA

View Full Version : Master Card: Is it working?

jmig
04-07-2008, 10:36 PM
OK gang. I finally got around to hooking up my master card. Well, let's say attempting to hook it up. As usual, nothing works as advertised. I kept getting a lot of spurious inputs in the blank box of the controller program.

I am running through a USB adapter because, I don't have a parallel port on my computer. So, I moved everything to a different computer. The Master card checked out fine. It did what the tutorial says it should do.

When connected to the USB port, back on the FSX computer the controller program shows the USB connection to be good. It shows one Master card and no inputs.

However, when shorting the pins, I get a blink of the red LSD on the USB card but nothing shows up in the white input box. Yet, the counter go up one.

I did find out that my problem is that cheap USB connector on the USB card. I can wiggle it until the LED stays on. When the master card is connected the LED goes out. It flashes when I short pins on the master card. I connected a pot to the A/D pins and I can see the value change as I twist the pot. Are these the correct behaviors?

Trevor Hale
04-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey John,

I am not quite sure what to tell you.

I know that I use to use a parallel controlled interface. From experience I know that it will only work on a genuine parallel port. It will not work on a parallel usb convertor.

I would check on the forums for your interface card, I would be willing to bet that they will tell you the same thing. I am sure that is not good news where you are concerned, however, I would think that is 1/2 your battle. especially when you only got the problems when you moved to the usb converter.

Trev

kiek
04-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd recommend to use the USB expansion card from Opencockpits.

Saves you lots of trouble.

My 2 cts.

Nico Kaan

jmig
04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I'd recommend to use the USB expansion card from Opencockpits.

Saves you lots of trouble.

My 2 cts.

Nico Kaan

That is what I have. The USB expansion card. Sorry, if I misled anyone.

wanderer
04-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I kept getting a lot of spurious inputs in the blank box of the controller program.

Spurious inputs is a sign that either the Mastercard is not recognized or there is insufficient power to the card. Are you using external power? (My cards needed external power.) Someone suggested measuring the voltage between the bottom-left and top-right pins of each IC for about 5 VDC. (And if you assembled your own card, then double-check the orientation of each IC.)

However, when shorting the pins, I get a blink of the red LSD on the USB card but nothing shows up in the white input box. Yet, the counter go up one.... I can wiggle it until the LED stays on.

The LED is not suppose to stay on. It is suppose to blink for each input.

I don't recall seeing an input counter in controlador. The number (in red) to the right of "Inputs" is the most recent pin shorted while the box shows the last sequence of inputs but I'm not sure when the box is cleared.

Are you seeing a USB Device number at the bottom? If not, double-check your controaldor.ini has both USB=Yes and Expansion=Yes. (On mine, USB port is always enabled and N.cards = 1 even when I have nothing connected so they are not good indicators.)

jmig
04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks to all who responded and provided possibilities. I now have it working. :D

It was working. The cards are in front of sim (behind the monitors) By the time I would get around to see them, the input had disappeared. I finally wired up the canopy opening switch and could see it from within the cockpit.

Now, if I could only get the programing to work...:roll:

Oh well, another time, another night. :) One tiny step closer to the finish of the marathon.

AndyT
04-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I'd love to help out, but I have a VISA not MasterCard.
;)
(somedays I hurt myself being funny and the rest of the time its just sad....):D

jmig
04-10-2008, 07:59 AM
I'd love to help out, but I have a VISA not MasterCard.
;)
(somedays I hurt myself being funny and the rest of the time its just sad....):D

:D :D :D

I figure, you had better laugh at yourself.
Everyone else is laughing at you. ;)