PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia & 9800 GTX

Matt Olieman
04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Nvidia just released the new 9800gtx card. This Card gets some of the best benchmarks on Flightsim X out there. Here is a link to a review on it from Tomshardware. http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/01/nvidia_geforce_9800gtx_review/index.html (http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/01/nvidia_geforce_9800gtx_review/index.html)

What ya think? Should I build a FS Comp. around this???

Tomlin
04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Okay- I m wondering here. All of these new 9 Series cards say that they have two GPUs on them and that they have xxx MB RAM for each GPU, etc.

What I want to know is, If Im just plugging my monitor/LCD projector into one of the two outputs on the card, am I still getting the horsepower of both GPU's and all the RAM/Stream Processors?

Kennair
04-02-2008, 02:52 PM
There's already discussion about the card and Toms review over at the hardware forum on Avsim. Eric, you might find your answer there.

As always with recent releases, I'd wait until they come down in price (even though this card seems reasonably priced already). I still think the 8800GT offers the best value for money currently and it uses the same processor as the 9000 series. Spend the big bucks on the CPU!

Ken.

Matt Olieman
04-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Eric, it's my understanding, and I'm putting in simple form.... (since I'm not a techy) :) You have the equivalent of two cards in one, double the speed and power. My sources tell me, with FSX, the frame rates are definitely improved.

Please tell me if my information is wrong.... don't want to spend a fortune on a system around something that is not so.

BHawthorne
04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Okay- I m wondering here. All of these new 9 Series cards say that they have two GPUs on them and that they have xxx MB RAM for each GPU, etc.

Only cards designated as GX2 are dual core. That's not anything new to the 9-series. This also occured in the 7-series. There are also single core 9X00-series cards.

Trevor Hale
04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Eric, it's my understanding, and I'm putting in simple form.... (since I'm not a techy) :) You have the equivalent of two cards in one, double the speed and power. My sources tell me, with FSX, the frame rates are definitely improved.

Please tell me if my information is wrong.... don't want to spend a fortune on a system around something that is not so.

Oh Matt, don't tell me that you are actually considering taking the plunge into FSX.... Say it ain't so!! LOL