PDA

View Full Version : Bass shaker Amp??????

jmig
03-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I tried to hook up my Dayton 25W amp from Parts Express to the bass shaker. i don't get any output? The amp powers on. I tried connecting the input to both the low power inputs (plugs) and the inputs on the other side of the speaker outputs.

I am driving the amp from my computer output. Tried several different locations, center bass, main, front and, back speakers. Nothing works.

If I hook up the bass shaker directly to the audio output from the computer I can hear it working, softly.

I am puzzled? Can the amp be bad? Or, am I doing something wrong. There wasn't any manual with the amp.

NicD
03-21-2008, 09:29 PM
We are running to 50w shakers off a 30w amp at the moment and they are working but not very strong. And that's after boosting the bass to max in the PCs audio card software (audigy). We're about to put in a 70W amp which should make all the difference.

The audio from the PC is just line level so you may need to pre-amp the feed before it goes to your amp, or maybe your amp output is just to weak. Sometimes a 25w amp is really just a 12.5w amp with stereo outputs too.

jmig
03-21-2008, 10:27 PM
We are running to 50w shakers off a 30w amp at the moment and they are working but not very strong. And that's after boosting the bass to max in the PCs audio card software (audigy). We're about to put in a 70W amp which should make all the difference.

The audio from the PC is just line level so you may need to pre-amp the feed before it goes to your amp, or maybe your amp output is just to weak. Sometimes a 25w amp is really just a 12.5w amp with stereo outputs too.

I wonder if I can run both channels to the same bass shaker? Or, would that mess up the impedance too much?

Michael Carter
03-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Is there a dedicated sub-output on the sound card? If so, are you using a mono type plug in the jack? (tip/sleeve)

If you are using a stereo plug (tip/ring/sleeve) that might be part of the trouble unless it's a sub- stereo out. That would be something I haven't heard of before. Sub- outs are usually in mono because the bass frequencies are non-directional.

As Nick said, you might need a pre-amp between the sound card and the amp. If you have your card specs you can check to see if it's a true line-level output at -10dbV.

You also might want to hook it up to a conventional system and check to see if the output transistor hasn't been blown. Run the CD output from your home receiver into the new 25W amp and on to some speakers and select the function on your home receiver and see what happens.

Gwyn?

wannabeaflyer
03-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Dunno if this is of any help but iconnected my 2 bass shaker ( 2 x 25Wats 8ohms ) to my Pc sound System this way ... basically the pc came with a Surround ound speaker 2 sattalites and a sub woofer unit .. i opened thesub woffer and disonnected the leads to the speak and in their place i connected my 2 bass shakers wired in parallel this method seems to work fine it was done as a trial based on the bass shaker needing low frequncies to perform at their best and at the time did not have a dedicated low pass filter the next pages is to try the bass car amplifier i bought off ebay they seem really cheap and are built to drive sub woofers which is what i belive bass shakers are in a round about way .... by the way the first setup is working so well i just may leave it connected :-)

jmig
03-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I guess I am going to have to buy a pre-amp and try it out. I don't have an entertainment system. :) My wife and rarely watch TV. I threw away the old system I had purchased while in the Air Force. My computer is my entertainment system.

I will eventually get it working. Something I learned about flight simming, nothing and I mean NOTHING seems to work the first time. You have to fiddle with it to get it to work.

wannabeaflyer
03-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi Jmig i have to say i got these speaker and sub woofer from a car boot sale ..cost me £5.00 figured if it works fine. No Money back guarentee, so pays your money take a gamble sort o deal, and wokred on the premise if it blows it blows LOL:-0 D'Oh. Like i said it works atreat so need not cost the earth and the car amp option being a bit more profesional still was not a lot in comparison to buying a purpose built amp ( if only parts express were still doing thier amp Problem solved :-( but i gotta say they work great at the moment god knows how much better they will be with the car Amp fitted ( when i get round to it ) but my experiance so far is they do what they say on the Pcaket they kick butt LOL:-) Cheers hang in ther it'll be worth it

Kennair
03-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi John,

25W should be enough for bass shakers. I'm running two 15" subwoofers off a 25w cheapy PC audio amp no probs. They are 4 ohm speakers so I have them connected in series for a total of 8ohm. I would suspect the audio output from your card or the amp input. If you only hear it softly when connected to the main output then there is something wrong. Either the speakers are connected incorrectly or the amp is buggered! Perhaps some testing with a known working amp first.

Ken.

jmig
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I just got an email from someone asking if I had gotten my Parts Express Amp to work with the Bass Shaker. I did! Here's how.

When I wrote back to tell them I wanted to return the POS because it wouldn't work and there were no instructions or book, I mentioned that I had plugged the speaker output from the motherboard amp into the inputs and connected the Bass speaker via the speaker connections on front of the amp.

Lo and behold a new tech rep writes back that the speaker outputs don''t go to the speaker (scratches head) BUT, there is a red and black wire on the back side of the amp that connects to the speaker.

Well, I had never seen a red and black wire but I turned it over and there neatly rolled up and tucked out of sight was a 18" red and black wire. (amazing)

I connected it the the Bass Shaker and the sucker vibrated the sim across the room. Actually, it didn't but it did work! :D

Been working ever since. Still haven't figured out what the speaker connection on the front are for?

JBaymore
04-25-2008, 03:02 PM
I've been using the PartsExpress amp and the Aura Bass Shakers for a LONG time. In fact I think I started the first mention of that particular combination here.

The exterior "speaker connections" are NOT the speaker connections. The speakers hook up on the black and red wires INSIDE the unit. The black and red connectors on the OUTSIDE are for speker level INPUTS. MY box DID have instructions in it....one very small sheet of paper that could be EASILY overlookd in discarding the packing.

I run a 25 W amp. I have two bass shakers mounted in the floor of my pilot's seat. I have to run the power on the amp close to absolute minimum to get any kind of realistic feelings... otherwise it'll cause the screws in the seat to come out along with the fillings in my teeth!!!!!

If you are getting only "slight vibrations" you likely have something set up wrong.

I have been told by a VERY reliable "Redmond area computer guru type" that Soundblaster sound cards have an annoying habit of changing the sound output connection jacks in undocumented ways. THAT might be a source of the problem.

best,

..............john

jmig
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I've been using the PartsExpress amp and the Aura Bass Shakers for a LONG time. In fact I think I started the first mention of that particular combination here.

The exterior "speaker connections" are NOT the speaker connections. The speakers hook up on the black and red wires INSIDE the unit. The black and red connectors on the OUTSIDE are for speker level INPUTS. MY box DID have instructions in it....one very small sheet of paper that could be EASILY overlookd in discarding the packing.

I run a 25 W amp. I have two bass shakers mounted in the floor of my pilot's seat. I have to run the power on the amp close to absolute minimum to get any kind of realistic feelings... otherwise it'll cause the screws in the seat to come out along with the fillings in my teeth!!!!!

If you are getting only "slight vibrations" you likely have something set up wrong.

I have been told by a VERY reliable "Redmond area computer guru type" that Soundblaster sound cards have an annoying habit of changing the sound output connection jacks in undocumented ways. THAT might be a source of the problem.

best,

..............john

It is working fine now, John. I adjust the volume and Hz crossover point for different aircraft. And thank you for the suggestion.

BTW - I did go through the packing material looking for the instructions. I emailed Parts Express and asked if they had any sort of written manual, they said no.

No matter, I got it working and if anyone in the future reads this thread, the Case of the Hidden Wires shall be revealed.

:-)

pedronery
03-28-2010, 11:37 AM
It is working fine now, John. I adjust the volume and Hz crossover point for different aircraft. And thank you for the suggestion.

BTW - I did go through the packing material looking for the instructions. I emailed Parts Express and asked if they had any sort of written manual, they said no.

No matter, I got it working and if anyone in the future reads this thread, the Case of the Hidden Wires shall be revealed.

:-)

Hi JMig!

I was wondering if I could use your help on how to install 2 Aura bass shakers through my PC soundcard?
My soundcard is a 5.1, so therefore it has subwoofer output...
But before anything, it's just that i don't really know much about amps, and don't know which one to buy :(
Can you give me the brand/model of the one you bought?
I would really apreciate this help since I don't understand much of frequencies and i'm still afraid of not knowing how to connect everything together :(

Hope you can help me later on how to connect all these devices :)
Best regards,
Pedro Nery

jmig
03-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi JMig!

I was wondering if I could use your help on how to install 2 Aura bass shakers through my PC soundcard?
My soundcard is a 5.1, so therefore it has subwoofer output...
But before anything, it's just that i don't really know much about amps, and don't know which one to buy :(
Can you give me the brand/model of the one you bought?
I would really apreciate this help since I don't understand much of frequencies and i'm still afraid of not knowing how to connect everything together :(

Hope you can help me later on how to connect all these devices :)
Best regards,
Pedro Nery

Here is the bass shaker: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-028

This is my amp: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-782

You may want a larger one if you are running two speakers. This one "looks" to be able to drive two speakers. However, I would contact Parts Express and make sure before buying.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-784&vReviewShow=1

I just ran a line to the amp and connected it to the sound card with a 3.5mm stereo plug I had around. I tied both channels together by soldering the two input wires together. I connected them and the ground wire to the amp with RCA plugs.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the setup.

wannabeaflyer
03-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi Guys lunch break so have not read through all the posts but my bass shaker units were connected directly to the sub-woofer output on my PC powered "Tiny ( Brand Name ) " Sound system and worked a treat will take some photo's when i get home later if it helps ---if i remember correctly i disconnected the exsisting sub woofer speaker wires and just spliced in the bass shaker terminals, but need to see the unit again, as it was done so long ago and not been used in anger ( it did work quite well though ) i also bought a car Sub-woofer amplifier but not yet tried that as the current system seemed fine .. If it helps :-) if this has already been mentioned then please disregard Cheers guys

GeorgS
06-19-2010, 05:56 PM
May be strange question to those who are using a bass-shaker: Will the neighbours mind about?
I am living in an appartement, neighbours below and above.
All of them peaceful and friendly, but I am asking myself if they wanna live/sleep next to rumbling Boeing-Jets...:).
One producer says it does not harm them, but also some doubts about...

Best from Vienna
Georg

jmig
06-19-2010, 07:15 PM
May be strange question to those who are using a bass-shaker: Will the neighbours mind about?
I am living in an appartement, neighbours below and above.
All of them peaceful and friendly, but I am asking myself if they wanna live/sleep next to rumbling Boeing-Jets...:).
One producer says it does not harm them, but also some doubts about...

Best from Vienna

Georg

Mine doesn't make much noise at all. It just vibrates. At the ampitude I use it, you can't hear it in the next room.

GeorgS
06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I am just afraid you may feel the vibs at the next floor. Am I too anxious?

Georg

GaryC
06-20-2010, 03:30 AM
Here is a good article on how to install bass shakers correctly.

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2003/bass-shaker.shtml