PDA

View Full Version : A simple COM/NAV panel?

superconnie
03-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Today I tested one of my pilots instruments panels and found that I will need something.... a switch panel to set the NAV frequencies.

I always wondered why my VOR indicator did not indicate anything. Of course it is necessary to tune into the correct frequency for the desired airport ;-) (I'm not a pilot...)
One way to do this, is to open the radio panels on the screen and set the frequencies there. But that would be very disturbing if you're on a nice flight and suddenly this panel jumps into your view... it destroys the reality totally.

The other solution is a hardware switch panel with indicator to set and read the frequencies... has someone already built such a device? I know there are ready to use units available but I don't want to spend $1000 on this.

Does someone have a good idea how to make that in a simple way?

In fact I only need NAV1 and NAV2 since I'm not planning to use communication at all.... it's my computer, my world, my airport... all others out of my way...! :-)

XOrionFE
03-16-2008, 06:25 PM
goflightinc.com

Their stuff is awesome and wont break the bank. Plug and Play

mpl330
03-16-2008, 06:51 PM
What about this - totally plug & play too:

http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/multiradio-p-40.html?cPath=22

Not sure if this helps?

Cheers
Mike

AndyT
03-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Since you are building a Connie, the goFlight is more likely your best bet. Very easy to use and very inexpensive.
I have never used the Open Cockpits unit and so I can not tell you anything about it.

www.goflightinc.com (http://www.goflightinc.com)

superconnie
03-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.... the Opencockpit Multiradio is exactly what I need. It has all functions on one single panel.
The Goflight panel is also nice but in case I'd like all radio functions (maybe in the future) I need two or three of those panels because you can use the as radio OR nav but noth both.
The Opencockpit panel has a rotary switch for ALL functions.

The only problem with both panels is that they are too wide. They will not fit into my 14cm (5.5") slots. Well... maybe I can change that :-)

Does someone use the Opencockpit panel???

andarlite
03-17-2008, 03:27 PM
The Goflight panel is also nice but in case I'd like all radio functions (maybe in the future) I need two or three of those panels because you can use the as radio OR nav but noth both.
The Opencockpit panel has a rotary switch for ALL functions.

The only problem with both panels is that they are too wide. They will not fit into my 14cm (5.5") slots. Well... maybe I can change that :-)

You can use one Goflight GF-166 as Com1/Com2 OR Nav1/Nav2 OR Com1/Nav1 OR Com2/Nav2 OR ADF/XPDR.

You can also buy it as a remote kit so you can fit it into your own panel. See:

http://www.goflightinc.com/order/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=1935fb07baca7d9a25b8b7607ea109e7

Regards,
Henry

mpl330
03-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi,

Yes I have the OC unit and used it. Was most impressed, it was my 1st piece of equipment.

It was easy to use (think there was only 1 function that wasnt as straightforward as the others but even then it was because I forgot how to use it) and covers all your radio needs.

I was pleased and a few guys on the Engravity forums have used it too...

Cheers
Mike

Bob Reed
03-17-2008, 03:30 PM
You can use one Goflight GF-166 as Com1/Com2 OR Nav1/Nav2 OR Com1/Nav1 OR Com2/Nav2 OR ADF/XPDR.

You can also buy it as a remote kit so you can fit it into your own panel. See:

http://www.goflightinc.com/order/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=1935fb07baca7d9a25b8b7607ea109e7

Regards,
Henry

I am using one GF-166 as both Com1 and 2 and Nav1 and2....

superconnie
03-17-2008, 03:39 PM
@Bob
How do you do that? The description of the panel says that the functions must be selected in the software setup. How do you switch between NAV1/2 and COM1/2?

Do you have an additional switching panel?

Christian

andarlite
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I am using one GF-166 as both Com1 and 2 and Nav1 and2....

Bob

Yes, but wouldn't you also need a GF-P8 or RP48 module to be able to do that? If you don't, then I would be very interested to know how you are accomplishing this.

Regards,
Henry

superconnie
03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I just had a look at the GF-46... it seems this panel can do all at once. Is that correct? Does someone has one???

Christian

Bob Reed
03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
@Bob
How do you do that? The description of the panel says that the functions must be selected in the software setup. How do you switch between NAV1/2 and COM1/2?

Do you have an additional switching panel?

Christian

Ok lets see if I can do this without looking at my setup. The panel starts up with the panel being in com1 mode. There is a left button and a right button and a center button. The center button does the same thing in both modes, switches the freq you tune to the active window. The left button switches me from com1 to com2 and the right button switches me from nav1 to nav2. So if the unit is in com mode and I pres the right button once I go to nav1, press it a second time and the unit is nav2 mode. Press the left button and if the unit is in nav mode I go to com1 press it again and you go to com2... See? Works pretty good....

andarlite
03-17-2008, 04:06 PM
I just had a look at the GF-46... it seems this panel can do all at once. Is that correct? Does someone has one???

Christian

Yes, it does everything. Only thing missing is the standby freq.

Regards,
Henry

Bob Reed
03-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Yes, it does everything. Only thing missing is the standby freq.

Regards,
Henry

Nope not missing at all... When the unit is in com mode I tune the stby press the button for com2 and I have stby there as well now switching coms did nothing to my previous settings. If I switch back to com1 it is how I left it.. Same for Nav.... Cool huh? Press the center button and the stby goes to the active window.

Bob Reed
03-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Nope not missing at all... When the unit is in com mode I tune the stby press the button for com2 and I have stby there as well now switching coms did nothing to my previous settings. If I switch back to com1 it is how I left it.. Same for Nav.... Cool huh? Press the center button and the stby goes to the active window.

Ignore I did not read the post right....

AndyT
03-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Yes, its true. 1 GoFlight unit does both COMs and both NAVs at the same time. Very easy to use and you can customise how it works to suit yourself. Stores Actives and standbys for all 4 radios also.

After 2 days of not being able to get on the OC webpage, I finally got a look at the radio in question. It may be a very good product, but the GoFlight unit has it hands down.