View Full Version : Kite surfing accident

Westozy
03-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Anyone seen this before?

http://www.break.com/index/kite-surfing-stunt-goes-bad.html

Gwyn

James Twomey
03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Man-o-Man, talk about getting "Air". Did I see that correctly though??? Was he still holding on for a extended time?

BHawthorne
03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
When I see videos like this I have to think staged and fake. There is no story to go along with the video, nor any news articles. No context to it. No source for the video...etc...

Matt Olieman
03-10-2008, 12:14 PM
It's always hard to tell whether it's real or not.... but if anyone knows, what happened to the surfer, if it's real...... AND, what the ****, why were they doing this near a glide path of an airport.... DUUUUUhuuuuuuuu... LOL

Matt O.

AndyT
03-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I have to think fake. I looked at some of the other videos posted there and they had been 'enhanced' in one way or another so....

Bob Reed
03-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I have to agree with BHawthorne.. Something like this would be all over the news...

Goose
03-10-2008, 03:23 PM
This is fake.

ve4anc
03-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Fake!

Think about it for a few moments. An aircraft on approach is doing about 130 kts on short final there. Snatching the guy from next to zero airspeed up to 737 approach speed would exert such G force he sure couldn't hang onto it at the moment of contact. Further, maintaining a grip through to touchdown would be a superhuman feat .... not that he wouldn't be full of adrenaline.

Next, what happens to this surfer dude at touchdown? Its not as if he's wearing a kevlar jock strap, he's in a bathing suit ... LOL. He'd have been ripped to shreds.... have you ever seen what's happened to a big big motorcycle rider who looses it in gravel while wearing cut-offs?

Trust me, if this were real, it would have made the general public news, and received extensive coverage in aviation publications.

There is none. As the say in legal terms "Show me the body." Tee hee ....

Your Honor, I rest my case

Lezam
03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
He wouldnt be able to hold onto the handles at that speed

dodiano
03-10-2008, 11:38 PM
That is impossible... Total Fake... Like this video taken on one of the Buses from my Airline:

YouTube - ovni en cielo salvadoreƱo

Regards,

Roberto

Westozy
03-11-2008, 12:38 AM
He wouldnt be able to hold onto the handles at that speed

I agree it's probably fake but kite surfers are attached to the kite wires by their harness, they don't take the load on their arms. If it was real he would probably have been snapped in half!

Gwyn

Padraig
03-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry to say, but this is real.

:twisted::twisted:

Trevor Hale
03-11-2008, 03:09 PM
What kind of people would allow others to para-sail in the approach path of airliners if that could happen.. Someone needs to shake their heads LOL

BHawthorne
03-11-2008, 05:22 PM
What kind of people would allow others to para-sail in the approach path of airliners if that could happen.. Someone needs to shake their heads LOL

One would think if this was plausible that airport security would be all over them.

Gsey
03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Its a tv commercial for sprite zero.

Gary

surfingkite
10-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Nice! bookmarked it! i will check it later. Thanks very much for sharing

GaryC
10-15-2009, 01:30 PM
As a Kite surf instructor I can tell you Kite surfing would never be permitted so close to an airfield. Sorry but its fake. But I can tell you of a Kite surfer whom I saw many years ago now, who on exiting the water and un-hooked from the kite was suddenly lifted into the air by a freak thermal which took him well over a hundred feet into the air, he was hanging on for dear life just by his arms luckily he flew out of the thermal just in time as he said he didn't know how much longer he could have held on.
Kite surfing is not just a water sport its an airport as well and with all air sports ( and I have been involved in a lot of different types) there is one important thing I learnt very early on and that is to always learn from other peoples mistakes because you seldom walk away from them un harmed.

Gary

jeloo
04-11-2010, 08:12 AM
hi guys, i know quite a bit about kitesurfing, and your hands are only on the bar to steer your kite, you have a strap around your back which is attached to the bar and this strap takes all the power of the kite, which means this counld hapen but the guy would definatly be uncouncious :roll:

oh and this is an add for 7up, they just cut out the end bit, check the full verstion out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv96Zromg8Q&feature=related
enjoy!