PDA

View Full Version : OpenCockpits FMC kit

Daveanne
03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi guys, thinking baout buying an FMC kit from OpenCockpits, has anyone built one and has it working OK.

Can you let me know any pitfalls before I warm the soldering iron up?

Daveanne

steveeverson
03-09-2008, 04:53 PM
just emailed you on that!-
one thing i remember is that its hard work to get the switches all lined up to the button tops when you assemble the finished panel- takes a bit of time but is well worth it- i think the buttons are a bit bigger and closer to the original 737fmc though than some of the competitors..
anyway- see what you think- i would reccommend it if you have the time it saves an awful lot of money compared to the engravity one!
Steve:)

Daveanne
03-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for replying Steve, yes I knew you wold reply re our conversation yesterday, but "many oppinons make digi thing go better" some one once said.

Many thanks any way.

Dave & Anne

QF6228
03-09-2008, 09:25 PM
You could also get this from Marius, It saves alot of hard work and its a cheep option. No soldering required :D

http://www.stormloader.com/users/marius/cdu.htm

Damien

steveeverson
03-10-2008, 12:17 AM
have just ordered one so i can rejig my fmc and replace the birdsnest of cabling!- so many thanks for the info!
steve:p

QF6228
03-11-2008, 02:32 AM
No Problem.

It sure save's alot of work, I Know I need a few soldering 101 classes....;)

Cheers Damien

Daveanne
03-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks everyone I also now have one of those boards on order too.

Daveanne

Simon Schwarzmann
03-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Hello to all,

I also thougt about that and to buy the FMC Kit from OC. What software will I need to get the FMC work? Is it only possible with PM?

Simon

barkay
10-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Hello fellow builders,

After the succesfull implementation of MCP and EFIS into my PMDG next project turned out to be the FMC. I have just ordered the necessary parts as indicated by the opencockpits guys. However I started to look around for what can I face by the time parts are on hand.

As far as my initial investigations are concerned I could not come up with an understandable assembly manual as well as a general description about how to implement it. There are some sample scripts for SIOC code but that seems to be the last thing to take into account.

As always if anyone has anything to talk about it I will highly appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

barkay

luk737
10-17-2008, 06:38 AM
hi all,
They just realsed a ready mounted version of the 737 fmc, perhaps that would be a better idea.. i am looking into both as well... either get the mounted version and or the kit with marius circuit board. If any one has either the kit or the ready mount would be great to hear from you.

luk737

Oter3
10-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Hello.
I have also been looking for some good words about a completed OC FMC kit.
There is many switches that must work "every time", so I have been hesitating for quite a while.
The link below goes to a page with
"Tips & Tricks" building the
Hispapanels FMC kit, which I think is equal to OC.
http://www.cockpitware.com/tricks.html.
Nils.

barkay
10-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Dear Fellow builders,

Some updates from FMC issue;

In the OC site for the unmounted FMC module there are all the components listed as necessary. However when all of them are ordered there are some still missing pieces in which you can not build it without them at all.

Deadly piece is PCB where everything will be soldered. Then there are some panels for the complete installation.

They are now working on a so called updated kit or upgrade kit for the ones already bought this to complete the full unmounted kit. They are also working on the assembley manual which they claim to be released next week.

I am sitting at home and looking at the pieces till they come up with promised things. So for the ones who are interested go buy the mounted kit but make sure to ask what exactly to do to make it work after connecting the cables.

Meanwhile the parts they have sent is very professionally packed and quite a good job.

That is is for now,

barkay

Cleme
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
For any of the UK guys, The Winter special issue of PC Pilot has a good review
on the OC FMC KIT !

Worth getting

Happy Building:p

barkay
11-20-2008, 03:53 AM
Hello Again,

Here is the last report on the subject;

OC FMC by functionality does work very good. Unfortunately there is no backlighting yet but I am figuring out something.;)

However;

When using with PMDG unfortunately the good old SIOC confuses key commands. Therefore the only option for the main page related buttons like INIT REF, CLB, CRZ etc. is to use a specific function to show these buttons as joystick buttons and send the key commands from FSUIPC. Even though this is easy there is a biiiiiggggg problem with PM?DG (? can be replaced with any letter on the alphabet but after trying too hard I prefer F)

PMDG FMC is working on two modes. First is the mouse mode. Eveything is programmed within the gauge and hidden so that you can press any button with mouse. But you can also use KBD mode by pressing near letter O so that you can make all entries via keyboard.

This is where things get complicated. Beacuse if you will use the keyboard of FMC you have to be in the KBD mode otherwise it does not accept letters and numbers and they go directly to simulator messing eveything.

Unfortunately Pete's macro option is no solution since it can not address this hidden gauge. So to enter a plan you have to switch between KBD mode and normal mode which is a disaster.

This can be programmed from SIOC if and only if that KBD actrivation has a specific keyy command and/or FSUIPC offset.

I tried with FSInterrogate with no success.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS?

If I can solve this problem I will give the good news of the full FMC from OC working with PMDG very soon.

That's all for now

Best regards,

barkay

kand
12-18-2008, 04:37 PM
bought the 747 FMC back in Sept, took a week to assemble, be very careful to make sure the microswitches line up with the cutouts. I didnt finish my FMC, its all built but I havnt got round to sodering all the switches to the USB kepsender, personaly I wouldnt recommend the kit, buy the finished product

kiek
12-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Hi,

This can be programmed from SIOC if and only if that KBD actrivation has a specific keyy command and/or FSUIPC offset.

I tried with FSInterrogate with no success.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS?

Even if you would have that KB mode command, you will find that you will make many mistakes. Trying to remember the mode of the KB and switching from one to the other is very confusing.
In the old PIC767 days I had a full FMC that worked with keys, including a key for KB mode switching (the Level-D 767 has such a key command).

But when the SDK was released for the Level-D 767 I was very glad to be able to work mode-less using direct communication with the sim (without having to send keys).

regards,
Nico

weyes
01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I am also thinking to buy the FMC from OC...

It will be integrated in my 767LD with the library from Nico Kaan.

Before, I need to know how the FMC screen works. I know it gets the signal from the TV socket. If I have understood well, what appears in the FMC screen is the panel of the 767LD moved and resized to fit the FMC screen. Is it right?
If it is the case, then it means that the FMC must be connected to the TV out ot the same desktop where the simulator is running. And therefore only one monitor can be used at the same time becaue it is not possible to have 2 monitor plus the TV out working at the same time.

I could as well connect the FMC to the TV out of my secondary computer. Is there a way to show in the secondary computer such a panel?

kiek
01-23-2009, 04:59 PM
... what appears in the FMC screen is the panel of the 767LD moved and resized to fit the FMC screen. Is it right?
Yes.

If it is the case, then it means that the FMC must be connected to the TV out ot the same desktop where the simulator is running. And therefore only one monitor can be used at the same time becaue it is not possible to have 2 monitor plus the TV out working at the same time.
Yes, the FMC TV has to be connected to a TV out at your FS pc, but you can have two video cards in your pc, and connect 2 or 3 monitors and the TV to your FS pc.

I could as well connect the FMC to the TV out of my secondary computer. Is there a way to show in the secondary computer such a panel?
No, that cannot be done.

Nico Kaan

weyes
01-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Yes, the FMC TV has to be connected to a TV out at your FS pc, but you can have two video cards in your pc, and connect 2 or 3 monitors and the TV to your FS pc.

So the TV is not seen as a third monitor by the graphic card. What is it? Is it a replica of one of the two DVI? Or when the TV is on then one of the two monitors is shutted down?

I canīt connect a second graphic card to my mother board :(

Thank you Nico :)

kiek
01-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Or when the TV is on then one of the two monitors is shutted down?
Yes I think so, on most graphics cards it is either TV Out or a DVI/VGA output ..

weyes
01-30-2009, 04:32 AM
I have a Pinnacle TV card too. Could it be of any help?
I am not using it since long time and I am wandering if the TV out of such a card can be used to connect the TV for the FMC. Again is the TV seen as a third monitor?

Does any of you knoe anything about that?

weyes
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
FYI: I have tested the pinnacle card yesterday and it give no additional monitor. I don't know how does it use the TV out but for sure it is not a new screen.

barkay
02-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Dear Fellow builders,

Last update. FMC works like a charm after many many tweaks. But in a very complicated way.

1 - First of all all key assignments in SIOC need to change and all necessary commands from SIM menu must be deleted.

2 - A program called key to mouse must be purchased as the Pete's macro functionality does not work since the FMC gauge is embedded into main panel.

3 - A small tweak to cut only the screen part of FMC makes it possible to carry it to second TV output of the graphics card but unfortunately you can not use any more monitors in this case in the second DVI output.

So to sum up if you are into adding a key to mouse software and willing to use the second output for FMC only this works. Is it the ideal way? NO. Till I come up with something else at least sim flies:)

Best Regards,

barkay

weyes
02-04-2009, 02:53 AM
3 - A small tweak to cut only the screen part of FMC makes it possible to carry it to second TV output of the graphics card but unfortunately you can not use any more monitors in this case in the second DVI output.

So to sum up if you are into adding a key to mouse software and willing to use the second output for FMC only this works. Is it the ideal way? NO. Till I come up with something else at least sim flies:)

This is why I did not buy this FMC yet. Some days ago I have tried with the pinnacle CDTV card but its TV output is not another screen
I think the only way to have 2 monitors and the TVOut for the FMC are:
having two graphics card on board use only one DVI but with a matrox dualhea2go to feed two screens

My setup is composed of 2 computers but unfortunately as far as I know there is no way to move a FS panel into the second PC (apart of using PM that is quite expansive).