PDA

View Full Version : fustration usd axes card

Radar
02-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Can someone tell me why I;m getting so much ossilation . Axes are moving up and down on there own???
I calibrate for trottle and all axes move?
How can I assign engine 1 and engine 2?
Do I need diodes for my bottuns?
Click one button and 10 come one????
I'm really fustrated here.

Was this open cockpit card a waste of money???

Man oh man. I'm about to trow in the towel.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Wirering for days and you get crap. THERES GOT TO BE A EAZIER WAYYYYY

dnoize
02-24-2008, 11:44 PM
pots are 10 k ? they work correctly ? not spiking ? tested on other cards ?

the inputs of the axes card are multiplexed. they are used in 3 groups...you are not mixing groups ?

Stef

737NUT
02-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Not to be rude but the search function is a wonderful tool!! :) I have posted several items about the problems you are having.

Opencockpit cards are wonderful EXCEPT the usbAxis card.

I fixed my problems by running a ground wire from the usb metal shield to the shell of my throttle quad.

By the way, 10K pots have nothing to do with any jitter or problems. I currently use 1K pots and have tested 5K 10K 20K 50K and 500K. All worked great. It is a grounding issue on the card that i hope they will fix.

The work-around is above as i stated.

dnoize
02-25-2008, 06:06 AM
only talking from personal experience.....

i had severe spiking problems with 100 k pots. 10 k solved the problem with me. The manual only mentions 10 k pots. I havent tried any other than 10k (perfect) and 100 k ( spikes) but could be a problem with the pot too.

if your cable to the usb axes card is very long you could try shielded wire.

never had any grounding problems...

Stef

rottenlungs
02-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Hi

I use the usb axis card with no problems.

1) yes, you need diodes, wire them between pins1 1 of J8 - J14 and each of the switches. You will end up with three diodes leading to three switches off each of those pins (if you have all 24 switches connected). I have 23 of the 24 switches connected with no problems.

2) you need to attach a dummy load across any unused axes, for example 2 50K resistors effectively setting the axis to mid travel. Apparently all axes are unstable without these resistors.

Hope it works - I have had no trouble from my card, I wish I could use SIOC with it though.

Cheers

James

PS there is an easier way - it involves paying a potload of money! OC stuff is cheap..

Efe Cem Elci
02-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Also think this should be in the OC forum.

Jan737
02-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi

1) yes, you need diodes, wire them between pins1 1 of J8 - J14 and each of the switches. You will end up with three diodes leading to three switches off each of those pins (if you have all 24 switches connected). I have 23 of the 24 switches connected with no problems.

2) you need to attach a dummy load across any unused axes, for example 2 50K resistors effectively setting the axis to mid travel. Apparently all axes are unstable without these resistors.

Hope it works - I have had no trouble from my card, I wish I could use SIOC with it though.

Cheers

James

PS there is an easier way - it involves paying a potload of money! OC stuff is cheap..
Hi James

Can you make a drawing on how to connect the diodes?
I'm a bit confused about that.

Best regards

Jan Geurtsen

Radar
02-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Also think this should be in the OC forum.

This is no helpful at all. BS

Where in this this manual does it say diodes are need

http://www.andare-ing.com/uploads/Manual_USBAxes_english.pdf

Bob Reed
02-25-2008, 12:33 PM

Well I took a fast look through the manual and it does not say that it does. But the card works on a matrix and you almost always have to use diodes. The way it works because you are sharing pins to get the different switches to work, when you push one switch, you get back feed through the wiring and it triggers 2 or more that share the same common. The diode only allows power to flow through it one direction and stops the ghosting or pushing of multiple switches at the same time. I hope this helps some...

Efe Cem Elci
02-25-2008, 01:42 PM

If you mean my comment is not helpful at all, I'd urge you to think about the next guy with a similar problem who'll be looking through the OC forum for a solution. This thread concerns OC and in my opinion this needs to be in the relevant part of the forum.

BS? :???:

Trevor Hale
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
EVERYONE HANG ON...... Move away From the RADAR, it is going to explode shortly.

LMAO.

Radar, take a deep breath. Your so frustrated, and you won't solve anything when your frustrated.

Now try accomplishing one thing at a time.

Lets not get carried away here.....

Radar
02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
:mad:I'm sorry to you all. I'm a bonehead:roll:

It can go any wost then it is. I was using an old computer and it was working ok. I decide to use my new computer,pluged it in , and cklicked on start. Pluged in the lead from the usb card and everything went bleu. {Cannot find registry .}..something like that. Had to reinstall eveything.

Oh well. Theres more to life then this A

Sorry to you all. I'm a bad man:(

Trevor Hale
02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
LOL Don't ever say it can't get worse. Just think how happy you will be when you get it working perfectly...

Don't give up yet!

Stay positive.

Trev

rottenlungs
02-27-2008, 03:47 AM

Trust me, you`ll need diodes unless you only want to wire 8 switches rather than the full 24, and here I was thinking Canadians were polite `eh?!!

As an example, a switch would be wired as follows.

Run a wire from J8 pin 2 on the board to the switch. Run a wire from the other leg of the switch to the leg at the end of the diode which does NOT have the stripe on it. (1N4148 diodes are ideal - any other signal diode will do). Run a wire from the other leg (ie the end with the stripe on it) to JP1 Pin 3 on the board. For the next switch you do the same thing, but runing from J8 Pin 2 to JP1 Pin 4 , next switch J8 pin 2 to JP1 pin 5.

I hope this makes some sense. I am do not have the creative skills to do a drawing of this in MSPain(t) so I won`t even try.

The following link , http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/, whilst relating to a rival controller card, describes how to wire switches in a diode matrix - I used this info to understand what I was doing with the OpenCockpits card.

harpatin
02-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Can someone tell me why I;m getting so much ossilation . Axes are moving up and down on there own???
I calibrate for trottle and all axes move?
How can I assign engine 1 and engine 2?
Do I need diodes for my bottuns?
Click one button and 10 come one????
I'm really fustrated here.

Was this open cockpit card a waste of money???

Man oh man. I'm about to trow in the towel.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Wirering for days and you get crap. THERES GOT TO BE A EAZIER WAYYYYY

Hi there!

I think You have bought an exellent card but You have to built it ready.;)

Here is a link to finnish home cockpit site and if You look all those pictures You will get the idea how to fix your card ready to work.

http://www.fsnordic.net/discussion/index.php/topic,69389.20.html

There you will find hand drawn picture how to connect diodes.

Have You removed all joystick assigments from MSFS menu? See the first page.

I am sure if you have FSUIPC registered version it is possible to assign separete throttles. Read the manual carefully but shortly:

-Assign axises in the FSUIPC
-Calibrate joystick

I hope it works

Regards

Timo

harpatin
02-27-2008, 06:22 AM
:mad:I'm sorry to you all. I'm a bonehead:roll:

It can go any wost then it is. I was using an old computer and it was working ok. I decide to use my new computer,pluged it in , and cklicked on start. Pluged in the lead from the usb card and everything went bleu. {Cannot find registry .}..something like that. Had to reinstall eveything.
(

That's the same problem I had. The old faithful AGP motherboar worked fine but when I upgraded my system the problem occurred. Do You have ASUS motherboard? I have M2N4-SLI and according to ASUS support forum it is common failure that USB connections doesn't work properly.

It was solved when I installed USB hub to PCI slot.

Have you tried an another USB port?

If you have an another computer plug the card in and check if it is shown in the control panel/game controllers. If you find it there, so the card is OK and if not check it in the third computer. If your card is identified elsewere You should update USB drivers and if this won't help buy a new USB hub.

Regard

Timo

Radar
02-27-2008, 10:02 AM
:pThanks for all the help Guys. It took me all day to reinstall everything. OS and all. I don't want to take another go at it with this card.

737NUT
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I got my Axis card working now, NO diodes needed. I just ran a gnd strap from the usb metal housing to my TQ housing. No ghosting!?!? Works great now. There is obviously a ggnd issue on this card.

jmig
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi

Cheers

James

This is good stuff. I agree with efecemelci that this thread should be moved to the opencockpits forum for continuity.

Rotten (LOL that sounds funny) which pins do you attach the dummy load to? I have already blown that chip once. It is just too expensive with freight to blow it again.

Bob Reed
02-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Moved as asked. Good thread!

jmig
02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
I received my new PIC chip today. Installed it and she came right on. Hooked the roll and pitch axes. They were rock solid. Haven't connected any buttons back as of yet.

Kennair
02-28-2008, 02:25 AM
I use the Open Cockpits USB Axis card with no issue. As mentioned you do need to connect a dummy load to any unused axis and diodes are often required on joystick buttons for purely electrical reasons (as mentioned), but no it isn't mentioned in any of their manuals. You have to remember that these guys design and build these interfaces for next nothing compared with more commercial entities but after sales support tends to suffer. Like a lot of things with this hobby, you need to figure it out for yourself sometimes. Hence the reliance on forums such as this one.

Also are you using FSUIPC for axis control? Jittering axis is often a symptom of having the axis assigned in FS as well as FSUIPC. You need to delete the FS assignments in order for FSUIPC to adequate handle them. If you aren't using FSUIPC then forget what I said.

Good luck,

Ken.

rottenlungs
02-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Hi Jmig

I take it you got the axis working stably. Well done mate. Glad to hear it as the card is really good, even if their documentation is 'basic'.

If you do need the dummy load, attach a 5k resistor across pins 1-2 and 2-3 of each of J3 - J7 which you are not using. The resistor pair act as a 10 potentiometer set to 50% of travel.

As far as the diodes goes I decribed this in my earlier post. Naturally the diodes are completely irrelevent when it comes to attaching the analogue axes - they are only needed to prevent backfeeding when multiplexing the buttons.

This is good stuff. I agree with efecemelci that this thread should be moved to the opencockpits forum for continuity.

Rotten (LOL that sounds funny) which pins do you attach the dummy load to? I have already blown that chip once. It is just too expensive with freight to blow it again.

THe reason I pretend to fly is the NZ CAA don`t take kindly to pilots with asthma (hence the Rottenlungs moniker) - I could get a PPL , but without the commercial aspect I can`t quite afford it!

Kennair
02-28-2008, 04:06 AM
James (rottenlungs!). I really recommed getting your head around SIOC. Once it's happening you can do enormous things with your components not normally available within FS itself. Have a study of the french simucockpit (http://www.simucockpit.com/)site for some good initial explanations, then pinch code from other users at the Open Cockpit forum to adapt to your use. It works, and I'm really not sure how but I muddled through.

Ken.

jmig
02-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Nico Kann's site http://home.planet.nl/~nwkaan/ is a good place to get the basics of SIOC. He is very knowledgeable on the subject and has written a manual.

rottenlungs
02-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi, yeah I had come across Nic Kaan`s site before - it looks like he knows his onions. Is he the guy that did the LDS767 interface (lekseekon?) too? I`ve been experimenting with that lately. What I`m not sure of is if SIOC is actually compatible with the USB axes card - because it is essentially a joystick controller I don`t think it is..?

Cheers

James

Nico Kann's site http://home.planet.nl/~nwkaan/ is a good place to get the basics of SIOC. He is very knowledgeable on the subject and has written a manual.

Kennair
03-01-2008, 03:34 AM
Not sure but I had a recollection it was compitable. I know it recognises axis connected to the USB expansion card which has 4 axis. I recommend searching the Open Cockpits forum for example code to operate axis.

Ken.

rottenlungs
03-01-2008, 06:34 AM
From what I can gather from oc.com, the USB axes card isn`t compatible. The USB expansion card is purely to interface the other (SIOC compatible) cards and is, as far as I can tell, totally different to the axes card I have.

However, I intend to upgrade to the full OC stuff, as the next stage of my pit is to interface some outputs, I want the warning lights to work next.

Cheers

James

Not sure but I had a recollection it was compitable. I know it recognises axis connected to the USB expansion card which has 4 axis. I recommend searching the Open Cockpits forum for example code to operate axis.

Ken.

737NUT
03-01-2008, 09:53 AM
The USBAxis card is NOT compatible with SIOC or IoCard. It is purely a joystick interface with windows.

jmig
03-01-2008, 09:58 AM
The USBAxis card is NOT compatible with SIOC or IoCard. It is purely a joystick interface with windows.

Interesting however, my USBAxes card shows up as IOCard or something close in the Game controllers applet.

737NUT
03-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes it does as that is the manufactuer, just as it says CH or saitek, etc. But it even says on the site, not SIOC compatible. I can confirm this as well and many have said they wish it was but in reality, you can't have windows controlling part of it and SIOC trying to as well.

jmig
03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Yes it does as that is the manufactuer, just as it says CH or saitek, etc. But it even says on the site, not SIOC compatible. I can confirm this as well and many have said they wish it was but in reality, you can't have windows controlling part of it and SIOC trying to as well.

SIOC may not work but FSUPIC does. :) That is all I need. I don't use windows to handle FS functions anyway.

737NUT
03-01-2008, 07:12 PM
SIOC may not work but FSUPIC does. :) That is all I need. I don't use windows to handle FS functions anyway.

Yes sir! Same here. :) My SIOC file is getting bigger! I add about 10-15 lines a day to the code.