PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question :)

Matt Olieman
02-21-2008, 01:13 PM
I just had to replace a hard-rive in one of my FS computers and had to do a reinstall of the OS on another. So two MS Win XP Pro installs :(

Well.... it's been a while... now I get the sign in screen, of course which I don't want.... I've looked all over how to get rid of it. So it will go right into the main Windows screen... BUT, I just can't remember how I've done it before. All I remember, it was something so simple that's it's almost embarrassing to ask :roll:

Can anybody help?

Efe Cem Elci
02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Will this help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

If you don't want to go into the technical aspect too much, there is also a GUI version of this that I can describe.

Deesystems
02-21-2008, 02:11 PM
By default Windows XP displays the Graphic login screen with icons and usernames at startup.

If you would like to use the more traditional Windows NT login screen you can get to that screen by pressing Ctrl Alt Del (Reboot key sequence) twice.

If you would like to change to the traditional screen at login, instead of the graphic login screen, do the following:

Click on Start, Control Panel, and select user accounts.
Click on Change the Way Users Log On or Off.
Click on the Box "Use the Welcome Screen" so that there is not check mark.
Also try:

Windows XP -
Select Run from the Start Menu, type control userpasswords2, and click Ok.
Turn off the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok.If you would like to switch from the traditional login screen to the more graphic screen just click on the box in step 4 above so the "Use the Welcome Screen" box is checked.

Efe Cem Elci
02-21-2008, 02:16 PM
By default Windows XP displays the Graphic login screen with icons and usernames at startup.

If you would like to use the more traditional Windows NT login screen you can get to that screen by pressing Ctrl Alt Del (Reboot key sequence) twice.

If you would like to change to the traditional screen at login, instead of the graphic login screen, do the following:

Click on Start, Control Panel, and select user accounts.
Click on Change the Way Users Log On or Off.
Click on the Box "Use the Welcome Screen" so that there is not check mark.
Also try:

Windows XP -
Select Run from the Start Menu, type control userpasswords2, and click Ok.
Turn off the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok.If you would like to switch from the traditional login screen to the more graphic screen just click on the box in step 4 above so the "Use the Welcome Screen" box is checked.

I thought he wanted to get rid of the login (i.e. password) altogether and get the computer to go right into Windows.

Matt Olieman
02-21-2008, 02:45 PM
I thought he wanted to get rid of the login (i.e. password) altogether and get the computer to go right into Windows.

Correct, and thank you for your information. Both ways work, except for Dee mentioned in item 4, "so there is not check mark." In my case there needs to be a check mark, to eliminate the sign in screen.

Also, I discovered, there must only be one user, delete all others except the guest.

Thanks again for your help.... I've got to keep this info, in a safe place, so I don't forget it. Oops, I'll probably forget where the safe place is.... I'm in trouble :)

Efe Cem Elci
02-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Don't mention it. And even if you forget where you put it, I'm sure there'll be people here willing to help as always.