PDA

View Full Version : New Sim enthusiast

B52Gunner
01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Hello everyone.

I have been a longtime flight simmer, with both MS flight sim and X-plane. Recent articles in Computer Pilot magazine got me interested in taking my hobby to the next level and I found this website. I am impressed with the cockpit projects posted here. I had no idea one could build something so realistic. My longterm goal is to build my own cockpit. Lots of info and tips to digest as I sit down to plan it all out.

Paul

Mike.Powell
01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Welcome, Paul. This is a good hobby that can be approached with a wide range of interests and budgets. You can add a few items to your computer or build a movie-set quality flight deck. Plus, there are a whole bunch of knowledgeable people to offer advice.

luisgordo
01-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the forum Paul !! :)

Matt Olieman
01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Paul, and welcome aboard. You'll certainly get plenty of tips here, besides that, will love to see you build your dream pit and look for your post of pics of your progress. Best of luck, and glad you can join in :)

Michael Carter
01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Paul. Glad to have you aboard.

Thinking of building a B-52 maybe?

B52Gunner
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Thinking of building a B-52 maybe?

Heh, boy wouldn't that be something. Now if I could only find the room to build a 2 deck cockpit, a whole heap of electronics and custom made software along with 5 others for a full crew compliment. For a few years in the Air Force I actually was a B-52 tail gunner. One of the most exciting and fun times I had while on active duty, I've since retired. It's also where I learned about real world flight operations. Sad that they closed that career field down and removed the gun from the old BUFF. It was really something to fly, none of the modern instruments and automation. Built to last and still going strong. It will always be my favorite plane.

Paul

Michael Carter
01-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Ah, you worked the first leg of the Strategic Triad. I worked the the second leg on Minuteman II.

Sellers on e-bay sometimes have -52 parts. I saw a throttle quadrant a couple of months back. Talk about a lot of levers!

Westozy
01-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Welcome to MC.org Paul,

It was probably my article that steered you here! I've put in a few plugs for MC.org. My latest article is in the December issue.

Gwyn

W9XE/Project777
01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Paul

Good to see another USAF builder in here :D

Was in Guam from Dec 1975 to May 1978. Anderson had B52D models. Went over their a few months before my wife arrived. Spend many hours laying under the wing of -00100 if (I remember correctly) watching flights of 3 and KC-135's takeoff and land. Was really cool to watch just as the sun was going down.

I got to spend some time in all the simulators including a bombing run. Thank God they us computers. At that height and speed you can miss a target by miles. :???: Got to play with the gunners position as well. Really a lot different than what you see from the old WWII aircraft. Now old technology.

Have many BUFF crews near me. Whiteman AFB and the B-2 is 8 miles away. Most neighbors are aircrew.

Surprising enough I have seen B52 parts for sale at some low prices. I sure don't know I would try Simkits or Flight Illusion guages. With eight engines the cost would be huge!

Big decision on what aircraft to build. Take your time and research, research. research. and when you are sure you have it down research again. Just when you think you know what you want someone comes out with new hardware and next thing you know your changing your mind.

Been there 3 times :( Looks like the near future 777 parts will be available for my project :D

Bazooka
01-13-2008, 12:23 PM
And another welcome from a fellow Buff gunner. Spent most of my career as a gunner. Was stationed at Wurtsmith, Mather and Barksdale at the end. There are so many aircraft to choose from so I second the notion...research...research....research. It took me about 3 months of browsing thru all the forums to decide on mine. I wanted something totally different so I chose to go with the F-22 Raptor and Ive had a blast working on it so far. I hope to have it up and flying by the end of the year.

Bazooka