PDA

View Full Version : Best location for bass shaker

jmig
12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
A while back there was a thread on bass shakers. I couldn't find it so I am starting a new one with this question.

I purchased a bass shaker from Parts Express, as recommended by one of you. I am ready to install it but wonder where the best position for me would be. I have an ejection seat. So I actually sit on a cushion which is on a box to represent the survive kit which is on the seat.

I had planned on putting in under seat. However, I could also place it on the lower back near the where the small of your back will be.

Any ideas?

Badge
12-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Experiment with it in both locations before you mount it permanently.

jmig
12-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Experiment with it in both locations before you mount it permanently.

That's good idea. However, it will mean pulling the seat. But, after all the work, what a bit more. :)

Westozy
12-23-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm really pleased with the result of the 'under your butt' method!

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1104

Gwyn

HitchHiker
01-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Hope its not to late to give some advice. I just installed a ButtKicker Gamer to the bottom of my sim chair and I got some really good results. You feel the shaking from the bottom to the back (of course not as much). I'm really happy with the result. I'm not sure if your going to be flying mil. sims but the unexpected flak bursts in Il2 1946 are especially cool and catch you by suprise! And the effect it gives you from the start up proc. is really cool too. Its like sitting on a Harley Davidson bike! I can go on and on. I didnt have the option to mount it on the back of the chair but I dont think the effect would work as well there. Lets say you were getting fired on from a head on pass and took hits you feel it from the back as well as ground flak. Hope this helps!

Chris

jmig
01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Hope its not to late to give some advice. I just installed a ButtKicker Gamer to the bottom of my sim chair and I got some really good results. You feel the shaking from the bottom to the back (of course not as much). I'm really happy with the result. I'm not sure if your going to be flying mil. sims but the unexpected flak bursts in Il2 1946 are especially cool and catch you by suprise! And the effect it gives you from the start up proc. is really cool too. Its like sitting on a Harley Davidson bike! I can go on and on. I didnt have the option to mount it on the back of the chair but I dont think the effect would work as well there. Lets say you were getting fired on from a head on pass and took hits you feel it from the back as well as ground flak. Hope this helps!

Chris

Thanks HH. I have mounted it under the seat. I have not tried it out yet. Still waiting for the amp to come in.

Trevor Hale
01-18-2008, 10:15 AM
If you didn't have room under the seat, I would have suggested mounting it on the back of the seat, so it rumbles your back while your sitting on the incline.

Best regards,

Trev

Tomlin
01-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I mounted my Buttkicker gamer in the center on the sim bass, in the center pedestal, but to a bracket mounted to the sim base itself. That way, the entire sim has the vibration for both pilots.

Paul Thomas
01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
I mounted my Buttkicker gamer in the center on the sim bass, in the center pedestal, but to a bracket mounted to the sim base itself. That way, the entire sim has the vibration for both pilots.

This seems like a good idea when building a sim having a center pedastal. I have been that focused on the seat that this center-pedastal idea has never struck me. Absolutely worth trying.

NicD
02-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Just wondering about installing two bass shakers under the floor of the sim. The floor is wooden and suspended in a steel frame. Does anyone have thoughts/experience with this?

Its a 737NG sim and I'm keen to have a reasonable level of vibration felt across the sim so that jump-seaters get the epxerience too, but also don't want to overdo it and risk any equipment long-term.

Also wondering about routing sounds to the shakers. Is it best to take a feed off the main FS PC (i.e. usual FS sounds), or use a separate PC and use PM sounds with low frequency wav files? or both?

Tomlin
02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Nic

I think that mounting them directly to your wooden floor would be just fine and you will probably find that you will limit the amount of vibration to that 'just enough' amount to get the feeling of engines moving, etc. My buttkicker is only turned not quite half-way and I get plenty of the sensation. I cant see how anything could be harmed by it being mounted this way.

I would think it'd be best to take it from the main FS PC.

NicD
02-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks Eric, I'll give that a try.

Audio wiring ain't really my thing! :) I've got a 5.1 surround card in the PC so not too sure which output to take the feed from, i.e. the lead that goes to the amp that will drive the bass shakers ??? Should this be straight off the PC (and if so which output), or off the lead that goes to the subwoofer on the surround system.

PaulEMB
02-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Nic,

I have this setup -2 woofers mounted under the cabin floor, at the rear - this means below the back of the seats.

I connect to a 120W car amplifier, and take the feed from the MSFS pc sound card via a splitter.

Combined with IVIBE seats and separate speakers also from FS behind the MIP.

I run 2 sets of PMsounds - one with speakers behind the MIP for avionics, and one on the instructor station for APU etc.

The effect is pretty good, and the vibration levels seem just right.

There is also plenty of scope for tuning between all the sounds.