PDA

View Full Version : IOCards Encoder Help, please!

Andy Butt
12-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Hello,

I am planning out what I need for a Sim Build Project (thinking of doing a Single Engine Layout) and have a question about using encoders on the IOCards avaliable from Open Cockpits.

OpenCockpits do a inputs card with, and one without encoder support. If i make an encoder from a 12 position switch, can i plug this straight in to the input card (without encoder support)? I would have thought this is the case, seeing as all it effectively is is 2 switches.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Andy

mhserrano
12-23-2007, 10:36 AM
:) Hi and Merry Xmas for all!

Well, Master Card from OpenCockpits supports itself a few number of encoders like CTS288 without needing other card. Just wire 2 consecutive inputs to the encoder and ground it. Same thing to the rotary switch that you have talked about, but a bit more complicated...

Cheers,

Mserrano

dnoize
12-23-2007, 11:24 AM
thats correct. Home made rotaries encoders out of a rotary switch can be connected directly to the master card. No need for the encoder card.

In the open cockpits download section there is a tutorial how to make a rotary encoder out of a rotary switch (and even a dual concentric rotary)

Stef

Andy Butt
12-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks for confirming that for me, much appreciated!

I was also wondering, what is the advantage of using an encoder over a modified 12 pos switch?

Regards,

Andy

kiek
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi,

A rotary encoder uses 2 consecutive inputs while a modified 12 position rotary switch needs 3 inputs.

A rotary encoder is the real thing (tactile feel is also better) while a modified rotary switch is more artificial.

Nico