PDA

View Full Version : FS 9 Crashes!!!!!!!!!

mounty
12-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Hi,

Have a real serious problem - not sure what it is related to so here's a quick rundown.

Basic setup is A8N-E mobo, EVGNvidia 7800 GT, Igb RAM, 240 HD, Windows XP - all less than 18 months old - no problems with other software etc.

Having been using the same set-up for the past year - no problems. Running FS2004, PMDG Series, Ground Env Pro, Active Sky and a few airports with AES. Fly the PMDG 800 99% of the time.

A couple of weeks ago FS crashed - normal flight then the screen froze, went black and the sound started to stutter. Reloaded and the same thing happened again at a different place in the flight. Tried several times but same thing happened at different stages of flight - nothing that I could identify as a "trigger"

Have uninstalled and re-installed everything 3 times and still get the same problem. This last time I checked it out, loaded up a 172 and flew it in a circuit without a problem, then loaded the PMDG 800 and lo and behold, the damn thing crashed - take off ok, climb ok, had just turned base leg and screen froze, then went black and the sound started to stutter.

Only thing I haven't looked at is the graphics card although all the latest drivers are installed and the accard is less than a year old.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice as to a solution.

Many Thanks

Rob

BlackWidow
12-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Did you recently update the drivers to your Video Card or any Drivers at all. If you did make sure you uninstalled the previous version of the dirvers. or you might want to goto the restore point and go back to the time when everything was good. If you did not have a restore point saved try unistalling the drivers you recently installed and going back to the driver version that you previously had.

Of course this is assuming you updated any of your drivers.

mounty
12-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah, did all that, even tried going back to a restore point before problems - no difference.

Rob

BlackWidow
12-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Is there anything that you did recently to the computer like install anything even some type of sotware?

Deesystems
12-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Do you have windows update setup to auto install ??

2 weeks ago,, MS did a big update and changed some core files.

Dee

Michael Carter
12-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Heat!

My old system did everything you describe and I tried every fix I could think of and nothing would fix this problem.

When I moved the system out to the shop where it's cooler, I removed the side door and put a 22" box fan about a foot away from the case.

Problem fixed. And it never happened again.

AndyT
12-05-2007, 12:20 AM
You beat me to it BSW.
Open it up and vaccum it out. If its really clean, you need a way bigger fan or a better cooling system for it.

BlackWidow
12-05-2007, 12:23 AM
LOL that was my next train of thought HEAT

mounty
12-05-2007, 12:26 AM
I have auto updates and the timing is about right. Will vacuum it out but the temp probe on the card is just under 50 and has been for a long time. Still wonder why it works ok with the 172 - any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the replies, any other ideas would be appreciated.

Rob

AndyT
12-05-2007, 12:27 AM
The number 1 killer of PCs is HEAT, always has been. Its normally caused by a couple of things.

1. Dirt buildup inside the case on the components.
2. Jumbled wiring inside blocking the flow of air.
3. Wimpy cooling systems.

Think back to the day when big companies had to have special air conditioned rooms to keep the machines running. Still the same problem, just cheaper solutions. Or you could always bolt it to the front of an air con unit...

Michael Carter
12-05-2007, 12:52 AM
I nearly did with the 22" fan.

The case and all components where spotlessly clean, but everytime I fired up anything larger than the Caravan it would crash to black screen randomly. Sometimes the audio stuttered, sometimes it didn't.

I think the video card was overheating, but the die and core temps were up there too when running the DF727 or any FS airliner.

The 22" box fan moves quite a bit of air on high.

dnoize
12-05-2007, 04:42 AM
I would say heat or power.

The PMDG 800 is much more processor intensive than the default cessna (just look at the frame rates). Thus this will stress the processor more and will cause more heat.

Not specifically your graphics card temp, but have you also checked your CPU temp ?

It could also be your power supply is at the end of its life cycle. Maybe you upgraded your computer over time and the power supply isnt up to the job anymore ? Maybe its just tired.
Slightest power drops or spikes can cause the weirdest problems.
I had similar problems with one of my sim computers and problems dissapeared after changing the power supply.

Stef

Tomlin
12-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi guys, I too had a heat problem till I took the CPU off, put on some Arctic Cooler after cleaning, and then I never had that issue again. I also keep the side off of the case too. I would like to vaccum, but Im afraid I may zap a component from the static a vacum creates. Any comment?

Bob Reed
12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I would use compressed air.. I clean them out that way all the time. Use an air compressor or that air in a can...

Tomlin
12-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks, Bob. Much safer!

Geremy Britton
12-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi all,

Mine about 10 months ago froze and went straight back on to the desktop again then a couple of seconds later restarted for the same problem. Unfortunatly i had to uninstall the lot - which to say the least is a long and teedious job (with the amount of add ons i have.)

But then it never hapened again not a clue what caused it though.

My room is cold anyway and also has a very good colling system but i have never cleaned it in all the time i have had the computer which will be around 3 years however still works fine.

How often would you recommend cleaning out the computer of dust etc. and also would this need to be taken to a repair shop to clean or could i do it myself (bearing in mind i dont want my computer components getting sucked up a hoover tube so it doesn't work anyway!:o

Advise needed!

thanks

AndyT
12-05-2007, 02:50 PM
I have always used a regular house vac and never had any problems. I use the brush attachment and make sure I clean them every 3 months.

mounty
12-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi Guys,

Well I did the whole 9 yards - cleaned out the case, checked the fans, core temps etc, did yet another restore point to a month ago, defragged the system, did the unistall/reinstall thing with all FS related software, changed the video card (had a spare one), and nada - same problem exists, only worse. Sooooooooooo, time to take the step to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. It seems that is my only option left - there must be something somewhere that is screwing FS up. Have also noted a little slowing down when using other programs so time to clean house and start over. Will let you guys know if all is working after overhaul!!!!!

Many Thanks for your help.

Rob

sas550
12-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi! Since you noticed a slow down when using other apps aswell I would check the memory. I've seen strange behavior when a mem stick been bad.

dnoize
12-08-2007, 05:57 AM
1. google for a memory burn in test. It will extensively test your memory ang pinpoint any faults there.

2. change your powersupplyor have it checked. Do not use a simple program to check your powersupply. It might show good values in bios/software but it still can be faulty when stressed. Powerspikes or voltage drops can reset your system or cause crashes to bios.

same for memory errors. Memory selftest in bios is not sufficient. Use a burn in program. It will stress your system and access every single bit of your memory to test.

Stef

mounty
12-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi All,

Well did the whole 9 yards and everything works fine now. Got rid of a lot of software that was just taking up room and doing nothing. Upgraded the memory from 1- 2 Gb at the same time and reinstalled everything from Win XP on.

Only minor prob I have now is finding the fs9.cfg file so I can make a few changes that a guy named Koorby suggested. Did this the last time and made a few performance and display gains. Ran a search for the file fs9.cfg but showed nil results. Anyone have any idea where I can find it in FS - took a look in all the FS folders etc - no joy anywhere.

Thanks Guys

Rob

AndyT
12-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Look in hidden folders in your search and you will find it.

mounty
12-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Andy,

Thanks - found the file and made the changes.

All is now 100%

Rob