PDA

View Full Version : It's here...

Michael Carter
11-12-2007, 03:07 PM
And I'm scared to death that I don't know what I'm doing.

Right now I think it's building a backup folder. It's already configured for internet through the LAN box, but now I have to set it up for computer to computer.

:roll:

Wish me luck.

Matt Olieman
11-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Is this the last we'll see of Mike.... is he lost????? Deep in the plunder of ??????? :)

Michael Carter
11-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Does anyone remember the post with a link to the site that had directions for optimizing a system for FS?

There were some registry entries that were altered, and some other things to do.

I used it on my old system and they worked well.

Deesystems
11-12-2007, 03:56 PM
This is the one for tweekin XP

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10229

Michael Carter
11-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for posting that.

Michael Carter
11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow, I got them talking to one another. At least the new computer is talking to the old one now. I had to set all sorts of file permissions on C drive. Windows wasn't too thrilled about me sharing this drive over my local network.

I can see everything on the new computer that I granted permission for in the Program Files folder. It wouldn't allow access to this folder, but it did allow access to folders within this folder.

Now, since I have access to my FS folder, can I just copy and past the .dll for FSUIPC, copy and paste my 727 instrument panel configuration file, and other assorted must-haves for FS in general?

I know I'll probably have to go fetch my downloaded payware again, but what about the above?

Thanks again for posting those tweaks. It took about an hour but I got it configured the same as the old system.

David Rogers
11-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Congrats on geting the bones of your network set up.

I would strongly advise installing everything that you need on the other PC in the proper way. This applies to everything that would be stored as an 'application or program' in the Windows registry.

There are no problems copying files and folders through your network but I would avoid it for any applications - especially the DF727's gauges, etc.

Bob Reed
11-13-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree with David on this. I install things like FS and then my PMDG 737 and after it is installed and working I drag those folders over to the new drive and all my changes are there then. I know you can probably get away with not reinstalling but I do not do it that way.. Just my .02!

Michael Carter
11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I installed FS9 this morning. In kiosk mode with all sliders maxed I was getting 24fps. It was locked at that and rarely changed. and that was with the on-board graphics.

The Sapphire card and power supply comes tomorrow, so this should help with the payware end of FS and keep my frames up.

I'll follow your advise and re-install the aircraft, FSUIPC, and FS panel studio. I hope I can find all of my keys for this stuff.

Tomlin
11-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I hope I can find all of my keys for this stuff.

THAT is why I love AND hate the idea of moving to a new machine soon!

Michael Carter
11-14-2007, 10:05 AM
The aircraft installed fine. Took awhile for me to find the key.

The panel config file also transfered fine and is working so far. I haven't yet tried it on the instrument panel monitor, but it shows up like it does before undocking it so I guess it's OK.

The livery texture files transfered OK too, but I at first forgot to edit the aircraft config file to get them to show up.

All in all, so far so good. Probably won't be ready to fly for a few more days though.

Still have a lot of scenery, the K2M program and config file, and Beta Innovations software, FSUIPC, etc. to transfer, download, or install.

Michael Carter
11-16-2007, 09:02 AM
I got almost everything I needed transfered over, either via e-mail, zipped file, or direct access through the LAN.

The only thing I still need to do is get the files for the Beta Innovations card, and the Hagstrom card. I think the .ini file from FSUIPC transfered OK, but only a test will tell.

I lost German Airports 1. That is still on my old system, but I can't locate the .exe, nor any associated files except the .bgl's and I'm not fooling with that.

The Sapphire X1950 Pro and the SB Audigy 4 installed OK as did the additional power supply to run the video card. Looks pretty sharp from the front too.

I loaded up FS with the 727 at Fly Tampa's Vienna and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Most sliders are at 100% or nearly so in FS and the Sapphire card settings are all to the right for best video.

FS is locked at 24fps, and no matter what part of the airport I looked at with the outside view, the frame rate held at a constant 23.8fps. The animated traffic was as smooth as anything on the road. Even when panning the view 180 degrees around the aircraft, the fps never budged.

I zoomed in and out, tried anything to get the frame rate to change, and it just never moved. The same thing at Innsbruck with UT Europe installed.

This afternoon, I'm going to load the last of the files for the interface boards (and hope they still work) and try to get the new system up and running in the sim.

I've never seen FS look or perform this well on any machine I've ever owned. It's truely remarkable of what FS and this machine is capable of.

Time to get Mega-Frankfurt!!! :D

Matt Olieman
11-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Sounds amazing Mike, congratulations.

In a nutshell, can you give us an outline of all parts/software you're using? and about how much you spent :) Even a pic of the monster would be nice ;)

Michael Carter
11-16-2007, 09:18 AM
I'll post a photo when I get home this afternoon.

Here's what's in it:

Acer Power FH UD4400. Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2.0 Mzh, 2MB cache, 2 GB DDR2 800Mgz memory, 800Mzh FSB. $599

Sapphire X1950 Pro 256. $112

Thermaltake 250 watt dedicated power supply. $55

SB audigy 4.0 $25 I think.

That's pretty much it.

Gotta run!

EDIT:

I have Ultimate Terrain Europe, Fly Tampa Vienna, had German Airports 1 ('I'll have to repurchase this), DF727, FS9, Carenado Stationaire 206, Project Fokker (freeware), RealCDG (excellent freeware of de Gaulle), freeware scenery of Amsterdam.

Like I said, I have to repurchase GA1, and I might add something else besides Mega-Frankfurt.