PDA

View Full Version : Seperation of sounds for FS9

Tomlin
11-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Okay, I wanted to see what others have done to seperate sounds for FS9.

Currently, I have the FS server playing the engine, atc, wind, weather and I have one of the two clients playing PM Sounds' TCAS, GPWS, Avionics.

Im guessing there's not a way to have FS play only Engine sounds from rear-placed speakers and the front ones playing the weather/wind and ATC?

I know that it's been discussed before about running the rear engine speakers thru an EQ to add a different frequency/tone to those speakers to enhance the engine sounds, but I was wondering if anyone had done anything different?

JBaymore
11-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Im guessing there's not a way to have FS play only Engine sounds from rear-placed speakers and the front ones playing the weather/wind and ATC?

Man what I wouldn't give to have them add that to FSXI! I was HOPING that FSX would have those kinds of abilities (assign sound to a channel)... but alas.

My setup has fs2004 running with all the normal stuff on it. I have the Goflight ATC module to split out the ATC sounds to headphones when I am not flying online. Works OK. Online, Teamspeak is on another machine that routes the comms sounds to the headphones.

I have PM sounds on three machines....each one doing something a tad different and from a different auditory location. Copilot callouts from my right side, etc.

I would THINK that it SHOULD be possible to program an external gauge via the engine parameters available through FSUIPC to create a "sound gauge" that would emulate all the engine sounds so that you could locate them in the rear driven by a separate computer from the sim itself. I am actually surprised that no one has DONE that yet. (Project anyone? ;) )

best,

....................john

best,

....................john

ak49er
11-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Check out esounds, I think it is on the PM website, I heard of someone using it to do what you describe.

Tim
11-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Ok, for those who might have missed it. Separate sound issue is fixed in FSX according to this post:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10631

Actually I'l save you a step. Check here: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=230&t=64683

Tomlin
11-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Check out esounds, I think it is on the PM website, I heard of someone using it to do what you describe.

Cant find any reference to this- any more info?

Tim
11-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Eric,

The esound program is on Pete Dowson's page not the PM page. Shows version 2.572.

David Rogers
11-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Another option would be to run 2 copies of FS, via Wideview. The sound settings of one copy could then play only engines (with relevent sound output playing only these), and the other PC / FS copy could have sound settings for the other sound sources.

Bit fiddly though...

I have PMsounds doing what Eric suggested and going through a 2.1 system that has a pretty smooth top end, and I roll off most of the Bass.

I then have FS sounds (primarily engine but also some wind sound) going through another 2.1 system with the bass turned quite high on the woofer.

Gives really good results but I agree the potential to slit FS sounds would be fab!

mounty
11-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi,

I too have a question re sounds. I use the Go Flight ATC unit but have not been able to split out just the ATC sounds. When connected with a headset, it's all the sounds or nothing. Anyone have any ideas as to how to set up this module to get the ATC sounds through the headset and the other engine etc sounds through speakers?

Mant Thanks

Rob

manhattan
11-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Another option would be to run 2 copies of FS, via Wideview. The sound settings of one copy could then play only engines (with relevent sound output playing only these), and the other PC / FS copy could have sound settings for the other sound sources.

Bit fiddly though...

I have PMsounds doing what Eric suggested and going through a 2.1 system that has a pretty smooth top end, and I roll off most of the Bass.

I then have FS sounds (primarily engine but also some wind sound) going through another 2.1 system with the bass turned quite high on the woofer.

Gives really good results but I agree the potential to slit FS sounds would be fab!

Use an extra amplifier. Take the feed from your sound card and split the signal in two directions - one to the normal PC amplifier and on to your cockpit speakers, and one to the input of a more powerful amp with the bass up and top frequences down. You will need to equalise at the split point using capacitor/resistance so as not to send all the signal to just one amp or the other. I feed the second amp to 12" speakers fitted under my seats. The effect is amazing.

TONY

Daveanne
11-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Rob, the secret to your problem is a secret, especially from Goflight, sorry chaps to be negative about your products, but because this one is so old, you appear to have forgotten that people are still using it?

To let you know what you must do: The ATC unit works OK, but the main sound volume from your PC/sound card must be turned down to a level that the "so called" squelch pot will work sucessfully, then the sound is muted except for the the ATC, but is rather "tinny" and sometimes distorted.

I have managed to re-boost my cockpit sounds by routing the sound through a 5.1 surround sound amplifier after the ATC unit.

Hope this helps you?

Daveanne

Tomlin
12-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Dave

Thanks for this info, as I have kindof been thinking about this unit for a while. Now I know what to expect if I get one.

mounty
12-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how you wired your set-up?

Many Thanks

Rob

manhattan
12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how you wired your set-up?

Many Thanks

Rob

I could send you an attachment with full cockpit build details if you wish?
What email address do you want me to use?

TONY

mounty
12-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. My question really was for Dave and how he re-routed his external system through ATC. I am still in the early stages of building and will lok at more sophisticated set-ups later.

Many Thanks

Rob

Daveanne
12-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Rob, sorry I thought your queston was for Tony too.

When you buy ATC you get three stereo leads, one from your sound card to ATC, then one from ATC to your speakers and or Amplifier, the third one is from the microphone socket on your sound card to the ATC.

Wire all them up and your off, I bought two double splitters to plug in to the front face of the ATC unit therefore splitting the head phones and mics to two sets.

However you need to turn the main volume produced from your sound card as low as you can, so that the squelch knob on the ATC unit works efficiently.

By that I mean, if you turn 'up' the squelch it stops the engine/cockpit noises coming through the headphones, but still allows it through your main speakers, you only hear things through the headphones when the "FS ATC" speaks, however as we all know when we open the throttles for take off the engine/runway/cockpit sound noise all increase, so that overcomes the squelch setting.

So if you reach maximum on the squelch setting and the engine noises still come through, then you need to reduce the main volume further.

If you are now getting the picture?

So we are left with a very low volume level from you sound card, however this is enough to let a decent 5.1 surround and or amplifier system boost the volume back up, bearing in mind that you place the amplifier 'after' the ATC card, so it doesn't have any effect on what you have set it at, so it works!!

However as I said earlier, the reproduction is very poor, the "FS ATC" is hear-able but distorted, plus, when "FS ATC" does speak you also get the engine/cockpit/environment noises too......... and when you speak to your co-pilot that also comes through the main speakers, so as you can imagane its not ideal.

I have spoken with a friend of mine who is a Digital Televison engineer, he says to do what we are trying to do is very difficult to achieve with high grade equipment too.....!

So if there are any sound technicians and I dont mean someone that adjusts sounds in a reacording studio, you know what I mean, that can do this, then please let me be your first customer to buy one (providing its at a reasonable price?

Hope this helps?

Daveanne

mounty
12-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Many Thanks Dave. Will try your way and see what it works like.

Rob

manhattan
12-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Rob, sorry I thought your queston was for Tony too.

When you buy ATC you get three stereo leads, one from your sound card to ATC, then one from ATC to your speakers and or Amplifier, the third one is from the microphone socket on your sound card to the ATC.

Wire all them up and your off, I bought two double splitters to plug in to the front face of the ATC unit therefore splitting the head phones and mics to two sets.

However you need to turn the main volume produced from your sound card as low as you can, so that the squelch knob on the ATC unit works efficiently.

By that I mean, if you turn 'up' the squelch it stops the engine/cockpit noises coming through the headphones, but still allows it through your main speakers, you only hear things through the headphones when the "FS ATC" speaks, however as we all know when we open the throttles for take off the engine/runway/cockpit sound noise all increase, so that overcomes the squelch setting.

So if you reach maximum on the squelch setting and the engine noises still come through, then you need to reduce the main volume further.

If you are now getting the picture?

So we are left with a very low volume level from you sound card, however this is enough to let a decent 5.1 surround and or amplifier system boost the volume back up, bearing in mind that you place the amplifier 'after' the ATC card, so it doesn't have any effect on what you have set it at, so it works!!

However as I said earlier, the reproduction is very poor, the "FS ATC" is hear-able but distorted, plus, when "FS ATC" does speak you also get the engine/cockpit/environment noises too......... and when you speak to your co-pilot that also comes through the main speakers, so as you can imagane its not ideal.

I have spoken with a friend of mine who is a Digital Televison engineer, he says to do what we are trying to do is very difficult to achieve with high grade equipment too.....!

So if there are any sound technicians and I dont mean someone that adjusts sounds in a reacording studio, you know what I mean, that can do this, then please let me be your first customer to buy one (providing its at a reasonable price?

Hope this helps?

Daveanne

To whom ever it may concern!

I get confused as to who I am writing to!
As I said in a previous post, I have managed to get a reasonable sound split by taking the sound card signal to the normal PC amp speakers/ headphones in the usual way, and then taking a parallel connection from where the sound card signal enters the PC amp - either via passive mixer circuit which removes most of the top frequencies, or alternatively through a graphics equaliser to an extra amplifier to the "Woofers".
Juggle the settings, and it works not bad.

TONY

12-10-2007, 02:50 AM
Hi guys,

Excellent topic this. My way around this was to run a seperate version of FS via wideview or FSM. I think FSM can still be found on avsim. I turned all sounds down on the FS2 box with the exception of ATC. I then used splitters available from my PC store to split between seperate speakers or headphones. I eventually replaced the FS2 setup with Radar Contact on the same second box with widefs. I made a patch splitter for routing the boom mike back to the primary fs box which also ran voicebuddywhich then sent commands to radar contact. Then by flipping a toggle It routed the boom to the second box that ran squakebox or teamspeak. So i can talk online or offline.

James

Tomlin
12-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Im wondering about using the ATC unit from GoFlight with Vox ATC.

That program has really gotten my attention after out charity event this past weekend.

The guys loved it, but when I told them about Vox ATC, they were really interested in that. My only issue is to decide if to buy it now for FS9, or to wait till I can use FSX/11 since it is kinda expensive.

rt72
01-11-2008, 03:26 AM
I'm trying to configure esound to route sounds in FS2004. No luck yet. The manual is fairly clear, but I must be missing something. Has anyone here been successful with it?

manhattan
01-11-2008, 05:49 AM
I'm trying to configure esound to route sounds in FS2004. No luck yet. The manual is fairly clear, but I must be missing something. Has anyone here been successful with it?

Not sure what "Esound" is? can you enlighten me?

TONY

rt72
01-11-2008, 10:20 PM
It's a .DLL module created by Peter Dowson that routes sounds to different sound cards on the same PC.

It won't route ATC chatter, since it's not a .WAV file in FS2004, but it will route the other sounds, so I'm trying to send everything BUT the ATC chatter to a second sound interface.

Rodney
01-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I take it the goal or one goal to this thread is to have ATC sounds only through your headset. Easy, if you have a USB headset. Fire up FS9, then right click your sound icon, select Adjust Audio Properties then the Audio Tab. Change Sound Playback/Default Device to your USb heaset and close. Works just fine. If you have to close S9, then reset back to your soundcard prior to opening FS9, then do those steps again. In my 5.1 surround sound system, it would be great to have voice throught the center speaker only, but I don't want all the cost and tribulations of experimenting for something that may not work very well. Just my 2 cents of input.

Daveanne
01-12-2008, 06:50 AM
I take it the goal or one goal to this thread is to have ATC sounds only through your headset. Easy, if you have a USB headset. Fire up FS9, then right click your sound icon, select Adjust Audio Properties then the Audio Tab. Change Sound Playback/Default Device to your USb heaset and close. Works just fine. If you have to close S9, then reset back to your soundcard prior to opening FS9, then do those steps again. In my 5.1 surround sound system, it would be great to have voice throught the center speaker only, but I don't want all the cost and tribulations of experimenting for something that may not work very well. Just my 2 cents of input.
Rodney, this is indeed a revalation, I had always been told that only FSX was capable of diverting ATC sound through a USB headphone set.
Are you saying that if I buy a USB headset I can divert the ATC sound only through to the USB headset?
You mention in the quote above "Fire up FS9, then right click etc.), do you mean the Audio tabs in FS9 or the one from your 5.1 surround system/drivers?
This problem had bugged me for ages, I have purchased the ATC module, but it is very poor in doing what I want, which is, to have full sounds of the cockpit interior through my normal 5.1 system speakers and have only ATC comming over the head sets.
Any help or advice would be greatfully received, also if this is true can you recommend a sutable USB headset?

best wishes

Daveanne

http://www.G-holt.co.uk

rt72
01-13-2008, 10:05 PM
I can confirm. This works with Radar Contact. I haven't tried it with the default FS2004 ATC, but I assume it works with this too.

I also use FDC and this works fine too.

BTW, I don't have a USB headset, but a USB-connected sound interface.

Rodney
01-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Rodney, this is indeed a revalation, I had always been told that only FSX was capable of diverting ATC sound through a USB headphone set.
Are you saying that if I buy a USB headset I can divert the ATC sound only through to the USB headset?
You mention in the quote above "Fire up FS9, then right click etc.), do you mean the Audio tabs in FS9 or the one from your 5.1 surround system/drivers?
This problem had bugged me for ages, I have purchased the ATC module, but it is very poor in doing what I want, which is, to have full sounds of the cockpit interior through my normal 5.1 system speakers and have only ATC comming over the head sets.
Any help or advice would be greatfully received, also if this is true can you recommend a sutable USB headset?

best wishes

Daveanne

http://www.G-holt.co.uk

No, the Auidio speaker Icon by the clock. A USB headset is actually treated as a sound device. I use VoxATC. I have not ever used the default ATC since FS9 first came out and I found that it was ridiculas in changing freq's for no apparent reason or stupid vectoring 2 miles to touchdown. The way I do it is ATC Sound ONLY through USB headset.

Daveanne
01-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Rodney & RT72.

Thanks for your help, but you will have to give me a little bit more information, if you would?

I am using FS9 on a PC using XP (latest edition), The simulator is PMDG 800, I note that one of you is using a USB based audio device with RC4 and the other is using a USB headset with Vox ATC.

My computer has an onboard 5.1 surround card, which feeds the surround sound speakers fine.

If I buy (please let me know what manufacturers you have of both the USB audio device and the USB headsets), and presumeably they both come with some sort of software, does that software also provide you with the means to direct the ATC sound ONLY to the headsets? because I can't find anything at present to do that.

Please be patient with me, I have built a full size cockpit and getting a dab hand at cobbling things together to make them as good as the real ones, however this problem of directing ATC sound to separate head sets is realy bugging me.

So please be patient with me, and errrr explain things simply with all the details.

Many thanks in anticipation?

Daveanne

Rodney
01-14-2008, 08:51 PM
My computer has an onboard 5.1 surround card, which feeds the surround sound speakers fine.

If I buy (please let me know what manufacturers you have of both the USB audio device and the USB headsets), and presumeably they both come with some sort of software, does that software also provide you with the means to direct the ATC sound ONLY to the headsets? because I can't find anything at present to do that.

Daveanne

Daveanne,
I use Logitech USB headset, and my Sound card is a generic pci 5.1 surround sound one. I have disabled the onboard sound card on my computer as it is only stereo and of no use to me.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-headsets/logitech-stereo-usb-headset/4505-6468_7-30399465.html

I am not sure, but a difference is that you are using onboard sound. May not make any difference at all.

Mine uses no software, WinXP finds it once plugged in and installs the driver for it. Like I said, WinXP treats the USB headset as an audio device, because it has a mic and stereo speakers. So when you "Right Click" your speaker icon by the clock, select adjust audio properties, fire up your sim, then change "Sound Playback" under the "Audio" tab, you have seperated ATC (in headset) and FS sounds through external speakers.

rt72
01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I use a Behringer USB audio device (No drivers needed) for ATC and a M Audio Revolution 7.1 PCI sound card for the other sounds. My onboard sound is disabled.

The key is to change the sound device AFTER you start up FS9.

Tomlin
01-15-2008, 10:17 AM
This is really cool if it works as you say it does. I cant believe that no one else has ever mentioned this method before. I will definately try this out!

Daveanne
01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Many, many thanks to you all for your help.

I will also try this method out too.

Daveanne

Daveanne
01-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Great news guys, for all of you (and me), that have been strugling to achieve separate ACT voice in FS9, I have at last achieved it, for ony £0.99p too......!!!!

Still need to buy a set of head phones though, already had them form my prevoius encounters with this subject.

How's it done?

Unfortunately it only appears to work with Rc4, I tried a mirriad of different way to get the generic FS9 ACT on a separate channel, but to no avail (FSX does it with a click of a button, no problems).

I also achieved it with this little beauty..

Amazon.co.uk: 1 X USB 2.0 to Audio Adapter w/Microphone Jack: Electronics & Photo

For the meagere price of £0.99p + Post & Packing, no I'me not trying to sell anything and I have nothing to do with the company that makes then iether.

The process is not understandable, but here goes.

Firstly install the unit by plugging it in to an available USB (2) slot and plug in your head sets, XP finds it and installs it as a USB Sound device.

Go to your sound icon and ensure that the 'Audio' and 'Voice' outputs are set to your Generic sound card (the one you are currently using), very important (by the way I am using a Audio 97 5.1 on board sound, this works also).

The start up FS9 and load Rc4 for your journey, ensure you have the generic FS9 ATC turned off, the open your sound icon (usualluy a grey speaker), and change BOTH settings ('Audio' and 'Voice') to the USB device.

Start RC4 and low and behold ATC, as clear as a bell, through the headphones ONLY, the rest of FS9 sound (engines, cockpit etc.etc) through your normal sound card/5.1 configuartion, whatever.

Even better, I used a splitter from the USB unit and coupled 2 headsets to it, plus you can talk to your co-pilot via the microphone which is also live and doesn't come through your normal speaker system too.

Brilliant eh?

Your own personal configuration may be slightly different, but you should achieve the same excellent results as I have.

If I had known this before wasting lots of money on the GoFlight ATC module (sorry GoFlight, but quiet frankly its very poor and doesn't do what it says on the tin).

Hope everyone else enjoys this little miracle as I have.

Daveanne

manhattan
01-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Great news guys, for all of you (and me), that have been strugling to achieve separate ACT voice in FS9, I have at last achieved it, for ony £0.99p too......!!!!

Still need to buy a set of head phones though, already had them form my prevoius encounters with this subject.

How's it done?

Unfortunately it only appears to work with Rc4, I tried a mirriad of different way to get the generic FS9 ACT on a separate channel, but to no avail (FSX does it with a click of a button, no problems).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-VO818-Audio-Adapter-Microphone/dp/B000Q5VKMQ/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_1

For the meagere price of £0.99p + Post & Packing, no I'me not trying to sell anything and I have nothing to do with the company that makes then iether.

Firstly install the unit by plugging it in to an available USB (2) slot and plug in your head sets, XP finds it and installs it as a USB Sound device.

Go to your sound icon and ensure that the 'Audio' and 'Voice' outputs are set to your Generic sound card (the one you are currently using), very important (by the way I am using a Audio 97 5.1 on board sound, this works also).

The start up FS9 and load Rc4 for your journey, ensure you have the generic FS9 ATC turned off, the open your sound icon (usualluy a grey speaker), and change BOTH settings ('Audio' and 'Voice') to the USB device.

Start RC4 and low and behold ATC, as clear as a bell, through the headphones ONLY, the rest of FS9 sound (engines, cockpit etc.etc) through your normal sound card/5.1 configuartion, whatever.

Even better, I used a splitter from the USB unit and coupled 2 headsets to it, plus you can talk to your co-pilot via the microphone which is also live and doesn't come through your normal speaker system too.

Brilliant eh?

Your own personal configuration may be slightly different, but you should achieve the same excellent results as I have.

If I had known this before wasting lots of money on the GoFlight ATC module (sorry GoFlight, but quiet frankly its very poor and doesn't do what it says on the tin).

Daveanne

Hi.
Very good news! What is Rc4? I use FS 2004 - will it work? Do I have to buy another gizmo?

Thanks for your research.

TONY.

Matt Olieman
01-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Daveanne, I just ordered one through E-Bay, by way of Honkong, .99 USD + shipping, total $4.09. Still not bad.... will have fun playing with it :)

Thanks for the info Daveanne.

Daveanne
01-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Tony, Rc4 is, Radar Contact Version 4, it can be downloaded at:

http://www.jdtllc.com/

Excellent programe, turn the generic ATC off in FS9 and use this one, much more realistic.

Daveanne

Rodney
01-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Or go a step farther and get VoxATC. RC5 is supposed to be voice regignition too.....when it comes out. I have Rc4, but prefer VoxATC.

Matt Olieman
01-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Rodney, do you have a link available for VoxATC?

Rodney
01-21-2008, 12:52 AM
http://www.voxatc.com/

I like both RC4 & VoxATC. Will stick with VoxATC for now. FS9 default ATC is the pits. Plus using a product like this makes you a better navigator, having to really plan your flights. Sure you can just use the defualt flight planner, or even FSNav, but hey, throw in the correct SID/STAR, and let the fun begin.

Matt Olieman
01-21-2008, 08:17 AM
http://www.voxatc.com/

I like both RC4 & VoxATC. Will stick with VoxATC for now. FS9 default ATC is the pits. Plus using a product like this makes you a better navigator, having to really plan your flights. Sure you can just use the defualt flight planner, or even FSNav, but hey, throw in the correct SID/STAR, and let the fun begin.

Thanks Rodney:)

I noticed they have the download version without 16 bit voices. How important is that? Is it best to order the DVD version with voices?

Rodney
01-21-2008, 09:19 AM
They are too computer generated for me. Went and bought Crystal & Mike from http://www.nextup.com/attnv.html for $35 for both.

manhattan
02-22-2008, 12:30 PM

How's it done?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-VO818-Audio-Adapter-Microphone/dp/B000Q5VKMQ/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_1

Brilliant eh?

Daveanne

Hi.

A friend of mine has managed to seperate Vox ATC from other general sounds by installing another sound card and configuring them accordingly. He cant tell me how it was done, because Tegwyn of Vox ATC did this for him - but I don't think any "magic" was used.

Anyone tried this?

TONY

mounty
02-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey Manhattan,

Silly question, but what is Rc4?

Thanks

Rob

manhattan
02-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey Manhattan,

Thanks

Rob

DUNNO!
Ask one of the others. Beats me!

TONY

Efe Cem Elci
02-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Hey Manhattan,

Thanks

Rob

RC4 = Radar Contact 4

link:
http://www.jdtllc.com

manhattan
02-23-2008, 09:32 AM
RC4 = Radar Contact 4

link:
http://www.jdtllc.com

Not a patch on Vox ATC (now used by professional pilots!)

TONY

Efe Cem Elci
02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Those of you who got the USB dongle to separate the sounds, how is the audio quality? I just got mine in from Hong Kong today and I seem to be getting way too much interference to deem it healthy. I've tried switching USB ports (from the front of the PC to the back to off an extension cord) and to no avail. Seems as if theres a recurring cycle of static.

Jackpilot
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Got the Logitech, here in Canada, cristal clear sound...

visualchaosfx
02-27-2008, 12:32 AM
I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was already mentioned but I am currently using VoxATC and I am so glad that I got this thing because its just freakin awesome!! At first though, I was disappointed that I could not seperate the sounds. I am using a SOCOM USB headset for the PS2 and I was surprised it works for the PC.All sounds were playing through the headset and I was like "Oh great..." So I thought maybe if I installed another sound card I could seperate the ATC from the rest of the sound and it works. The VoxATC plays through the headset while everything else plays through my PC speakers which are plugged into the 2nd sound card. Now I'm gonna see if I can get the VoxATC audio to play through another set of PC speakers so everyone else can here the VoxATC. I'm going to have to get a radiostack or something because I think it'll be alot easier for me to switch frequencies rather than trying to do it on the screen. I fly the PMDG 747 and the way they got the mouse clicks programmed is just tedious lol.

Tomlin
02-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Im so glad to hear that we have such a great group of guys here that can forge their way thru to create real solutions to our wants and needs! I cant wait to try this out once the sim gets moved to the new hangar.

Daveanne
02-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Those of you who got the USB dongle to separate the sounds, how is the audio quality? I just got mine in from Hong Kong today and I seem to be getting way too much interference to deem it healthy. I've tried switching USB ports (from the front of the PC to the back to off an extension cord) and to no avail. Seems as if theres a recurring cycle of static.

Mine works fine with no interfearance at all, make sure non of your wires to the headsets are near to any mains voltage cables, they will pick up, whats called a 50Mhz Humm, which you may hear as a low intensity "Buzz" all the time.

Most head sets do not have fully shielded cables (like co-axial), so keep it away from any mains power cables.

Hope this helps

Daveanne

Tomlin
05-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Amazon.co.uk: 1 X USB 2.0 to Audio Adapter w/Microphone Jack: Electronics & Photo

Daveanne

Hmmm...this thing is not available any longer, but there are several other just like it at amazon.com but much more expensive. Dave, is it still working for you? The one review at the site you gave says it's horrible, but again, you tried it and it works great. I plan to order one, but I must decide which one now... Im thinking this is the same thing? http://www.amazon.com/SENSITIVITY-OMNIDIRECTIONAL-COMPUTER-MICROPHONE-HEADPHONE/dp/B000BUDHNQ/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211308633&sr=8-4

thanks,

Daveanne
05-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I also bought this one too, its much better than the £0.99 one as it has adjusters for the volume, better quality also.

I havn't found any problems with this at all, I actually run three headsets from it with no problem at all, so Captain, 1st officer and someone in the jump seat can also hear ATC through the headsets.

Daveanne

Link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TEC-Sound-USB-Headset-Mic/dp/B000IULNLC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211316377&sr=8-8

GeorgS
11-16-2009, 06:19 PM

How's it done?

Brilliant eh?

Daveanne

THIS WORKS REALLY GREAT!!!!

In my setting (WinXP, FS2004) I am using ProFlight Emulator to create the third-party ATC.

Clue is, that FS sticks to the sound-card/device, which was selected when fired up. If you change later your generel setting in Windows as described dy Daveanne to another sound device (as my new USB sound adapter), FS keeps the initial setting and only all other third-party programs - like Pro Flight Emulator or Rc4 - are switching to the now selected one. So FS may output to the speakers and third-party ATC is going to the headset (or another speaker) :-) :p :D

Thanks a lot Daveanne and best regards from Vienna, AT!
Georg

GeorgS
11-16-2009, 06:27 PM
THIS WORKS REALLY GREAT!!!!

In my setting (WinXP, FS2004) I am using ProFlight Emulator to create the third-party ATC.

Clue is, that FS sticks to the sound-card/device, which was selected when fired up. If you change later your generel setting in Windows as described dy Daveanne to another sound device (as my new USB sound adapter), FS keeps the initial setting and only all other third-party programs - like Pro Flight Emulator or Rc4 - are switching to the now selected one. So FS may output to the speakers and third-party ATC is going to the headset (or another speaker)

Thanks a lot Daveanne and best regards from Vienna, AT!
Georg

phil.
11-17-2009, 11:38 AM
hello,
i have 2 CB mike's, 1 is already attached to my sound card, this is for the Capt side. But i also want to use my other CB mike, do i need another sound card to use this other CB mike ?
Phil.

GeorgS
11-17-2009, 12:13 PM
hello,
i have 2 CB mike's, 1 is already attached to my sound card, this is for the Capt side. But i also want to use my other CB mike, do i need another sound card to use this other CB mike ?
Phil.

Hi Phil,

If I got you right, you would like to use two mikes in parallel to feed the same final destination - your sound card.
If so, a simple Y-splitter cable should do the job.
BTW you should have an intercom between the two micros then, using the same line somebody wrote (but I have not tried this yet).

Best
Georg, LOWW

phil.
11-17-2009, 02:45 PM
yes 2 mikes for the same destination. what do you mean by an intercom, you know a place where to get this intercom and splitter ?
And will it not only work with a splitter to 1 soundcard ?
Phil.

GeorgS
11-18-2009, 05:40 AM
yes 2 mikes for the same destination. what do you mean by an intercom, you know a place where to get this intercom and splitter ?
And will it not only work with a splitter to 1 soundcard ?
Phil.

... yes, I read if you connect two headsets incl. mikes by an Y-splitter to the same soundcard you will be able to use the two headsets as intercom, as their micros and speakers are linked obviously.
Will test this in the next days as I bought an Y-splitter yesterday.
If that works, all you need are normal headsets and this splitter, which is a simple audio cable with one plug at one and and two at the other. You will get it at your local electronic store (google "audio splitter" for pics).

Best
Georg

phil.
11-18-2009, 05:52 AM
hello,
i will only use 2 CB mike's and no headset. this is 1 for the Capt side and 1 for the F/O side. I suppose then i only need an Y-Splitter ?
Phil.

Daveanne
11-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Guys, please be aware that most sound cards will only drive one headset, as the amount ofamplification assigned to the ehadphone/mic out socket is minimal.

I suggest you look at this little devise, which is an amplifier too, mine drives three headsets all from the same plug sockets, one for Captain, one for Co Pilot and one for someone in the "jump seat".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TEC-Sound-USB-Headset-Mic/dp/B000IULNLC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211316377&sr=8-8

Daveanne

phil.
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
so i need 3 of those amplifiers, are those for sale separate, as i see on this website that that the headset is already attached to the amplifier.
doesn't there excist an ampifier that i can connect to the soundcard and then attach for example 2 CB mike's and 1 headset ?
Phil.

Tomlin
02-03-2010, 11:26 AM
I just obtained an additional PC with the following specs: Pentium 4 w/2.4 cpu and 512 of RAM. It's a DELL with integrated graphics, but I dont need to 'see' the sim from this machine. Im considering loading up a bare bones FS9.1 w/TSS engine sounds pack and running this in a very small window to isolate only the engine sounds to route to behind my LJ45 sim and be linked via wideview. Is there any other method to do this that is more efficient? If this works, I'd like to use it to also run some standby guages for my MIP but I will then purchase an addon PCI card (8400 or 9600) to cary the load of the gauges.

Again, thoughts?