PDA

View Full Version : Default FS ATC

Jackpilot
11-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi Guys
I use FS9 ATC.
Sometimes, and more often at cruise level The "controller" seems to be on forever with other airplanes ,...Lear XX do this, Air FranceXX do that, GlobalXX do this...non stop and forever ..not allowing any response from those aircraft and any contact from me..Changing frequency is no good when I switch back here is he/she again.
Has to be a bug
Anyone got this too...and a cure?

Bob Reed
11-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Are you using any traffic add ons? I have never ran into this problem. I have not used the built in ATC in a while but I used to often.

Jackpilot
11-03-2007, 11:34 AM
No add on whatsoever...???

Michael Carter
11-03-2007, 11:35 AM
I haven't used it in years. Hard to fly a SID or a STAR when FS doesn't have them programmed.:roll:

Bob Reed
11-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Has no efect, where you are flying? This is odd.. Anyone run into this?

ak49er
11-03-2007, 12:57 PM
No direct experience, but definitely sounds like a conflict, PM Sounds "backs-up" on me. It will be dead silent, then about 50' AGL it will go nuckin' futz and start blathering on. FYI, I run it on the same computer as FREE FD, but not for much longer.

David Rogers
11-03-2007, 02:02 PM
I'v had this problems before - as far as I know it is directly related to the FS Traffic setting in FS9. So if it happens, go into Settings > Traffic and turn down the traffic %.

My ulitmate advice would be to either upgrade to Radar Contact (if you prefer off line flying), or even better IVAO, and fly on-line with great virtual controllers!

Jackpilot
11-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks Dave...will try that.
How do you rate Radar contact?
I'm using FS9

David Rogers
11-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Hey Jack,

Radar Contact is a great upgrade to the default FS ATC. Much better - gives you much more freedom and flexibility in your ATC.

One tip if you do get it - you need a decent sound card to run Radar Contact, or else you get jumps and jitters in your audio, and even some impact to your graphics.

However, investing in even a $25 decent sound card will prevent this (if you don't already have one).

I don't use Radar Contact now as I fly 100% on-line using IVAO but prior to this, I used Radar Contact for around 3 years and really recommend it.

The support from the developers (jdtllc.com) is also excellent.

I bought version 3.0 by CD from the US (I live in the UK). They released version 4.0 about 3 months after this, and guess what? ...... they sent me the new version on CD absolutely free without me even needing to ask! Now that's what I call service!

Kennair
11-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I agree, Radar Contact is a good alternative to online flying and works for both FS9 & FSX. I've even used it while flying online.....not good! One talks over the other once you come into an airport. I have it loaded on my second network PC using WideFS and it has no impact on frames at all.

Ken.

Michael Carter
11-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Have the programmers included the correct ATC procedures for major and secondary airports?

This might be worth looking into as this system can't hardly handle flying on line on IVAO.

My PII 400 Mhz machine did better. :roll:

Radar
11-05-2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.editvoicepack.com/:D

David Rogers
11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
BSW,

Radar Contact doesn't contain specific procedures for airports, I would describe it as a significant upgrade to FS ATC but I wouldn't say it rewrites the rule book.... you are still talking mainly generic but with more flexibilty for flying SIDs etc, and choosing approaches.

The typical way Radar Contact handles a SID, is that you request a Departure Procedure in the set-up screen, then basically ATC will assign an initial altutide and tell you to "fly the published departure procedure".

ATC will then continue with altitudes but will 'leave you alone' with regards to headings, until you reach your first waypoint in your flight plan. You will then be guided as normal and corrected if you're off course.

This contrasts with FS ATC where, if you fly a SID, you will constantly be told to fly a conflicting heading by ATC ! :twisted:

Radar - Thanks for the EditVoicePack link - I have been meaning to check this free software out for months but keep forgetting. Looks like a good way to customize FS ATC to make it better. :)

Michael Carter
11-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Thaks David. I'll have a look at this.

Radar
11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
:DHoly Moly! ATC are fast now.