PDA

View Full Version : A340 Cockpit Questions

AussieWonder
10-20-2007, 09:23 PM
G'day Guys

I have always been an airbus enthusiast and now finally have the means to start building my dream flight simulator.

I was thinking i would start with the control panel and central pedestal and then can start building around that so i was just wondering if i could ask a few questions.

Firstly and the most important i need dimensions for the control panel and central pedestal so when i come to ordering the hardware flight controls i will safely know it will fit. Is there any websites where i can get the dimension of the whole cockpit or better yet can i get the dimensions for the flight controls or central pedestal from some other A340 simulator enthusiasts?

Secondly what sort of wood or material should i use to build it and which company is the best place to buy A340 control flights and hardware for simulation.

If i could get these questions answered that would be absolutely brilliant.

I have got a website which im going to use to put pictures up and info of my A340 flight sim in progress which will hopefully start happening soon.

Well guys hope someone can help and look forward to becoming a regular contributor :)

Bob Reed
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Hello and welcome! ... Man you picked a tough aircraft to get parts for! I am not sure anyone is doing panels for the 340 any more. But there are a couple of 340 builders on this board! Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress and post pictures when you get some taken!

Michael Carter
10-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the site, you came to the right place for sure. There's no other place on the internet like it.

The material you choose to build components will largely depend upon your skills and tools.

Builders here have used everything from plastic, to metal, to wood. Anything will work, it just depends on what you have to work it.

My center control stand is made from several types of wood, Tomlin's is made from steel and is welded. I believe it has a 3A ballistic rating too.:mrgreen: Still others are made from aluminum. Especially commercially purchased products.

Main instrument panels can be made of all of these materials too, but plastic seems popular because it's easy to work, but it's not as cheap as aluminum. Aluminum is ideal for a MIP, but without the correct tools it can be difficult to work.

So...what's in your tool box, and have you had any building hobbies before taking this plunge off the deep end? Welcome to Hotel Hangar. You can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

Matt Olieman
10-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Welcome. Don't want to be discouraging, but Bob is right, you picked a tough one, I ought to know. I'm an A340 builder. I've said this many times "If I had to do it over again, it wouldn't be an A340.

Still have missing panels that my panel provider, never would provided me :(

You can always, kinda fake it with using A320 panels, depends on the details you're looking for.

My website, BTW, is www.a340project.us (http://www.a340project.us) anything I can help you with, please ask :)

Westozy
10-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Welcome to MyCockpit.org Aussie Wonder.

'Aerosim Solutions' can custom build any parts required and will be commencing A340 TQ production in March 2008, subject to the confirmation of a current build request from Thailand. Three units will be built in 2008 after the design work is completed.

Regards, Gwyn

AussieWonder
10-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys :)

I know i have picked a hard plane to simulate but since im an airbus fanatic im going to have to go on with my airbus project :)

Well boeing skunk works i am actually a farmer by day so needless to say i have a near endless supply of tools from welders to sanders which im proficient on most. So the problem is just figuring out whats the best material to use according to my budget and the measurements of all the panels, pedestals, glare shields etc etc.

Thanks for the offer matt so if its alright with you it would be absolutely great to get measurements for all the interior flight control panels, pedestals, glare shields etc etc

I was actually doing some research on the net and found out that www.flightdecksolutions.com have a good supply of A340 hardware products which looks promising so hopefully i can get this project in the air :)

AussieWonder
10-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks westozy, so is all production done in australian in australian dollars? As that would be a great help instead of ordering parts from the us

Westozy
10-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks westozy, so is all production done in australian in australian dollars? As that would be a great help instead of ordering parts from the us

Yes mate, aussie dollars and very competitive rates!

Gwyn

AussieWonder
10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
awesome westozy got a website for your business or msn messenger so we can chat about what needs to be done?

brianwilliamson
10-21-2007, 02:24 AM
Welcome from an ex-farmer that used to be NW of Parkes.(hope the drought is not too bad down there) You will have all the skills necessary I think!! This site may help with some of the details, but Matt will know a lot more of the Detail.
http://www.simpit.de/
I used MDF board to make all my main panels and all the actual panels for switches etc. are from acrylic sheet, spray painted with automotive lacquer.
Good luck with the project.
Cheers................Brian W.

AussieWonder
10-21-2007, 02:29 AM
The drought is really bad down here but luckily we have irrigation so its not all that bad :)

Thanks brian for the tips and that website is an excellent help thankyou. As i have been finding it really hard to find measurements for all the controls :)

Westozy
10-21-2007, 07:44 AM
awesome westozy got a website for your business or msn messenger so we can chat about what needs to be done?

My website link is on every post and my email is on the "contact" link.

My customer from Thailand has committed to buying an A340 TQ so I will be commencing building 2 or 3 units in February 2008.

Gwyn

a340-th
10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi,

a lot of information about the A340 can be found on Peter O. ****enmann's site.

He has drawings with dimensions here: http://www.podsystems.ch/Files/Txt_files.htm

Most invaluable, really.

Don't be put off by the negative comments about the A340, it can be done, with patience. Good things come to those who can wait <G>.

Building an Airbus has a lot of advantages, one of them I find is that I can fly practically everything out of the family from 318 - 340 in the same layout and functionality. My pit is a 340 too but nowadays for some reason or the other I mostly fly the 319-CJ. I do not use the remaining 2 engine levers, so what (I will once Westozzie builds the TQ for me <G>) ? But the functionality of everything else (specially on the glareshield) remains the same....

This might change once my overhead becomes functional in the far future, but at the moment it sure holds true.

Bob Reed
10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
I agree! Having flown Matt's A340.... If that is the AC you want and you can find ways around what is not available, by all means build it.. Great AirCraft!