PDA

View Full Version : Help! Getting the PM 737 demo to work

David Rogers
10-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Hi,

I am trying to use the PM 737 demo (Glass cockpit, CDU, MCP).

When I launch the glass cockpit software (with or without FS running), I get nothing but a black screen, with 3 buttons; "Next", "Exit" and "Normal Graphics". There are no PFD, ND or EICAS gauges visible.

I am using a ATI X1950 512Mb graphics card, Win XP SP2.

Also, the screen on the CDU is similarly black (the FMS unit itself is visible but the screen is black).

The MCP is working fine!

Any pointers? I emailed PM support but they've no advice to offer for this other than "check graphics card drivers", which are the latest ATI Catalyst Control Centre drivers, version 7.9.

Any pointers on this problem ?

Thanks,

David

Trevor Hale
10-05-2007, 07:58 AM
A couple of things. Did you go through your "F-KEYS" to switch the screens?

Press the "ESCAPE KEY" and choose "reset positions" Do you see the bezels? or nothing??

If flightsimulator and wideclient are running, Turn your battery switches on.. if they are off, your displays will be blank.

Just a couple of things to try buddy.

Let me know, I should be around for some of the day.

Trev

Tomlin
10-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, make sure that the aircraft in FS is up and running, at least that the battery and avionics are turned ON. That is one thing I love about the PMRJ software. When you have the software running, it wont show until I turn on the Avionics button.

David Rogers
10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks Trev & Eric - I'll try those tips.

I did try the F-keys but nothing happened. I should have mentioned that I have previously tried the PM Airbus suite and it worked fine.

I will try again and check the avionics and battery status and check back!

Cheers!

Bob Reed
10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
What happens if you run the demo with no Widefs running? Do you get the video test and score? If not it is probably a video driver issue.

David Rogers
10-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi Bob,

All sorted now! I reinstalled the latest drivers and all looks good now!

Still undecided on whether to go down the PM route, or whether to go as far as I can with a 'PMDG only' set up. (inspired by Westozy!).

I'm unlikely to do much in the way of hardware overhead panel (will probably just use a large monitor fitted to the overhead and stick with mouse / key commands for the overhead, so therefore the only real value I see from PM glass cockpit would be slightly nicer gauges and the ability to run off a networked PC. But I am getting great PC performance from 1 PC so it's a hard one to call!

Thanks for the help,

mounty
10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
David,

I see your from Durham. I was born in Shotton Colliery, Co. Durham back in the 1940's and moved here to Canada in '75. I see your using PMDG. Hang in there as they may come up with an equivalent package to Project Magenta at the beginning of next year. So rather than spend $1,300.00 US wait and see what PMDG do with the 737 NG II (they're building it for FS9 at this time, not FSX)

Also with a little bit of patience and a keyboard emulator, Key2Mouse, and FSUIPC you can get about 80+% functionality with hardware switches and annunciators using the PMDG overhead.

Rob

David Rogers
10-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi Rob,

Wow - I am 5 miles from your birthplace of Shotton Colliery - I am in Easington Village, just up the road! I bet you would not recognise Shotton these days, I'm sure you know that the colliery has gone. There are lots on new housing estates. (I mean lots!).

But luckily the airfield is still there (was it there pre-1975?) - it has just changed it's name from "Shotton Airfield" to "Peterlee Aerodrome". It is even feaured in the UK2000 Part 8 scenery package for FS9, by Gary Simmons.

I am definately staying with the PMDG route for now. As you've suggested, I am excitedly awaiting their new 737NG offering (amongst others). I have yet to investigate the possibilities of Key2mouse but will check it out.

Great to hear from a fellow East Durham cockpit builder - I'm sure Alberta is as beautiful as East Durham!

Best regards,

David

Westozy
10-09-2007, 06:10 PM
David,

So rather than spend $1,300.00 US wait and see what PMDG do with the 737 NG II (they're building it for FS9 at this time, not FSX)

Rob

Where did you hear this little gem Rob? Is this different to the NGX?

Gwyn

mounty
10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Gwyn,

Heard it on the grapevine. I guess PMDG have had a lot of pressure to develop a product that was good for cockpit building and could compete with PM on the interface side. PMDG announced in September that they had made a decision to develop the next 737 for the FS9 platform instead of FSX, and it would be released in the new year. Of course they wouldn't release any information as to what this would look like but I heard from Ian Sissons that they are looking at a PM lookalike kinda thing with user interfaces for overhead etc. Regardless of what the final product might look like I am sure it will be builder friendly!

Curerntly with PMDG I have some 57 overhead switches working using Key2Mouse, a Hagstrom Keyboard Encoder, and FSUIPC. Very simple to use, which suits me as I'm not exactly a "techie" - need "do a, then b, then c etc!" These are the switches that control all lights, Yaw Damper, Fuel Panel, Elec. Bus, APU, Supply/Exhaust, Window Heat, Probes, Anti Ice, Eng/Elec Gens, Fans, Packs, APU Bleeds, NS/Seat Belts, Starters.

Rob

Westozy
10-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Great stuff, I hope the new PMDG comes to fruition.

I am also an expat from Halifax, Yorkshire. I came to OZ with my folks 38 years ago, I still have a lot of family in UK. I've been back 3 times and it's always like walking into a fridge! They all vote for global warming...

Gwyn

David Rogers
10-10-2007, 05:14 AM
OT

A Yorkshire man! Well I'd never have guessed that Gwyn..... You seem so friendly and optimistic ..... :lol: (only kidding).

Well it seems I had better get myself some ex-pat status to fit in around here :D .... Britain's not that bad these days, some of us are (fairly) happy here!

(Says the man who has a retirement plan to move to Spain by my 50th Birthday in 15 years time!)

mpl330
10-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Steady with the Yorkshire jokes ;) - I may have to send my Whippet round to sort you out :lol:
Mike

David Rogers
10-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Sorry Mike - I was exclusively meaning those strange West Yorkshire people ;-)

I have family in East Yorkshire (Driffield, near Bridlington), so they're ok ;)

(This is the point where Mike tells me he is from West Yorkshire too :lol:).

Hey I'm a Geordie so I've no capacity to talk ... (literally..they wouldn't understand me!)

mpl330
10-10-2007, 06:40 AM
:lol: you've really done it now... I am from West Yorkshire!
Mike

David Rogers
10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Bugger!

er..... I exclusively meant people from Barnsley, Mike. ;)

:D

mounty
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Real small world guys, I left Shotton Colliery when I was 1 year old. My brother served in the Air Sea Rescue division of the RAF at Bridlington. I guess you have to be an expat these days to gain some kind of status - y'know, spreading the breeding to the colonies!!!!

Dave, my Grandad worked at the mine as a clerk before WWII. After I moved to London I used to go back up to Shotton most summers 'till I was about eight. My memories are very vague other than the Saturday morning cinema. I couldn't understand most of the local kid's accents - like being in another country!!

Cheers

Rob